SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#461936 - 11/20/18 07:22 AM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

#461937 - 11/20/18 07:29 AM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Thread going South alert but OK here we go.

"Just like a Tip jar for Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, sandwich shop, McDonalds, restaurants, or anyplace where you are supposed to be just doing your job and getting paid. When does it end? "

I agree its out of hand but in the music scene here its the norm and people expect it. Its a way they can show their appreciation. Very few acts don't do it. I don't put a jar out and people still want to tip, even in some of the high end places I've worked. The Dueling Pianos thing here that is so popular doesn't put a jar out either, they just have the money all over the top of the piano. Request a song, leave a tip.

#461938 - 11/20/18 07:31 AM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Much better preformance. In fact excellent.

#461939 - 11/20/18 07:38 AM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
People who work in 'fast food' or coffee houses very often do so because it is the best they can do at the moment ...
Both my kids worked as wait staff during college ... it is very difficult work at less than minimum wage ... and quite often they get stiffed ... these people RELY on tips ...
There is an old saying " Walk a mile in MY shoes ...
Give me good service and you will get a generous tip ... JMHO

PS ... At the restaurant I 'sub' in, the management puts a tip jar out, even though it is a good paying gig ...

Edited by tony mads usa (11/20/18 07:40 AM)

#461942 - 11/20/18 07:54 AM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Of course we all love tips, gratuities, etc, But,many people detest TIP JARS in any form and perceive them as a "very presumptuous gesture" on the part of the person or establishment, who put it out. Just like a Tip jar for Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, sandwich shop, McDonalds, restaurants, or anyplace where you are supposed to be just doing your job and getting paid. When does it end?
A gratuity is the privilege of the consumer's generosity "without being baited" what's next a tip scale too 10%/20% who made these rules?.....after all the person made the choice to take the job in the first place for that salary regardless of so called tips, etc,.

Thoughts?

I totally disagree with you here.. grin

"just doing your job" shocked

Waitresses are just doing their job, that just happens to be a tip oriented job... tips are expected... the salary is a basic $2-3 dollars an hour..
Yes they have a choice, and the chosen job is a tip oriented job.. If you are good at it , congenial, courteous, efficient, you do well, if not maybe get a non tip job , like singing at a nursing home smile

My thoughts, if you can't afford or desire to tip for your service, stay home and have burnt toast with your cold coffee. grin

#461945 - 11/20/18 10:24 AM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: BradgeMusicTube]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By BradgeMusicTube
It's a great cover indeed, but i can't help but thinking that she gets that amount of views and likes just because she's a woman
Just like all those women out there who play mediocre guitar solo's all get tons of comments about how fantastic it is and with how much emotion they play, while in reality they just like it because it shows clevage and because it's a woman doing it.

Not slacking her at all! Because she's fantastic, but if she would've been a man her views would've been 50% of what they were now, pretty sure about that.

Well, thats youtube, i would allways prefer to watch her instead of you...

Next to looking great, he has a nice voice, plays keys and guitar, and makes great arrangements... she has got everything needed to take a shot at the charts of fame

http://keyszone.boards.net

#461946 - 11/20/18 10:41 AM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By Dnj
Of course we all love tips, gratuities, etc, But,many people detest TIP JARS in any form and perceive them as a "very presumptuous gesture" on the part of the person or establishment, who put it out. Just like a Tip jar for Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, sandwich shop, McDonalds, restaurants, or anyplace where you are supposed to be just doing your job and getting paid. When does it end?
A gratuity is the privilege of the consumer's generosity "without being baited" what's next a tip scale too 10%/20% who made these rules?.....after all the person made the choice to take the job in the first place for that salary regardless of so called tips, etc,.

Thoughts?

I totally disagree with you here.. grin

"just doing your job" shocked

Waitresses are just doing their job, that just happens to be a tip oriented job... tips are expected... the salary is a basic $2-3 dollars an hour..
Yes they have a choice, and the chosen job is a tip oriented job.. If you are good at it , congenial, courteous, efficient, you do well, if not maybe get a non tip job , like singing at a nursing home smile

My thoughts, if you can't afford or desire to tip for your service, stay home and have burnt toast with your cold coffee. grin

So let me ask you that nurses aid at the nursing home changing bedpans all day long and colostomy bags should get tips right? just saying... Hmmmmmm?

Edited by Dnj (11/20/18 10:41 AM)

#461947 - 11/20/18 11:16 AM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Bachus]
BradgeMusicTube Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By BradgeMusicTube
It's a great cover indeed, but i can't help but thinking that she gets that amount of views and likes just because she's a woman
Just like all those women out there who play mediocre guitar solo's all get tons of comments about how fantastic it is and with how much emotion they play, while in reality they just like it because it shows clevage and because it's a woman doing it.

Not slacking her at all! Because she's fantastic, but if she would've been a man her views would've been 50% of what they were now, pretty sure about that.

Well, thats youtube, i would allways prefer to watch her instead of you...

Well, i can only agree with you on that, i would also rather watch an 18 year old woman with a good body ánd talent instead of a 27 year old morbidly obese guy who most of the time plays keyboard in the key of C, so ehh..

But that's not the point. The point is that the perception of talent is different because of her looks, because she's a woman.

It was a good performance for sure! But it wasn't THAT good that it deserved the amount of views that it has in my opinion.

Gary Mullen is a fantastic Freddie Mercury impersonator, just listen to this:

This guy sounds closer to Freddie than Marc does, do you see the amount of views? FOUR THOUSAND, because he's not a good looking person and because in the eye of "The People" HE is seen as merely a Freddie Mercury impersonator, while Marc Martel is seen as a completely different singer from that standpoint..

And with women it's roughly the same although men seem to think from a different standpoint since an ugly woman with boobs is still... a woman with boobs, and then you don't get the whole "She does/doesn't have talent" discussion but then they get seen as an object.

Even if there was a woman singing as bad as a drunk Elton John with bursted nodules with a flat chest and a hoodie on she would still get lots of great comments and likes and people would love what she was doing because well.. She's a woman. If a guy was doing that people would be shitting all over it, downvoting it, trolling on there, hating every inch of it..

And that's the difference imo.

#461948 - 11/20/18 11:21 AM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think, as Fran said, that if your job is " tip oriented" meaning you accept a lower minimum guaranteed salary, with the anticipation of tips earned by your service, cleavage, or whatever, then you should tip accordingly, or not. I used to play at hotels like the Fountainebleu where the bell captain would rake in big bucks from applicants to park cars.

#461950 - 11/20/18 11:57 AM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I used to play at hotels like the Fountainebleu where the bell captain would rake in big bucks from applicants to park cars.

But today sadly Bernie is another time & place, no matter how you look at it tipping in any fashion for any service, etc,is the customers choice bottom line.another tradition dwindling away......
LOl people are still tipping bartenders 1950's style 25¢ for a drink if at all.... frown

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online