SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#461799 - 11/18/18 08:09 AM Small problem, what would you do?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The past two nights where I work, there has been a customer sending a "live" broadcast of me on Facebook. I really wouldn't mind it if it were a song or two, but this guy is doing a couple of hours. I don't really want to be scrutinized that closely, but more important don't want the horrible cellphone audio transmitted. He is sitting across the room and with the audience noise my sounds is just muffled and boomy.
Also there was at least one regular customer who actually complained to the owner because she didn't want to be on live feed. She told me that her boss didn't like to see her out having a drink in a social situation, for whatever reason. She got pretty irate after asking the guy nicely to not "shoot" her.
I looked at the feed later and it didn't sound good, typical of a phone recording. There were about 200 people that watched from time to time, none of which I recognized by name.
I think that if he does it again, I will politely ask him to limit the transmission to two songs maximum. I believe he thinks he is doing a good thing, but I also think it is counter-productive.
Any thoughts?

#461800 - 11/18/18 08:33 AM Re: Small problem, what would you do? [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By DonM

Any thoughts?

Yeah, but they're not nice ones. Do you have a 'carry' permit?

chas

PS: I'm sorry, but I just hate (really dislike?) the type of person that thinks this is alright. What planet did they come from.

#461801 - 11/18/18 08:35 AM Re: Small problem, what would you do? [Re: DonM]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
good question
since this is a public place , there is a question of legality. does he have the right to shoot video without the consent of those present?
i know certain venues can restrict the use of recording devices.
also there is a question of copyright laws.
it might fall on you as the performer and management to decide on allowing recording or how its done. giving you authorization of such recording.

#461803 - 11/18/18 08:46 AM Re: Small problem, what would you do? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By DonM

Any thoughts?

Yeah, but they're not nice ones. Do you have a 'carry' permit?

chas

PS: I'm sorry, but I just hate (really dislike?) the type of person that thinks this is alright. What planet did they come from.

As a matter of fact I do! And also a badge...we'll have to 'splain it to him if he does it again. smile

#461804 - 11/18/18 08:50 AM Re: Small problem, what would you do? [Re: wrinkles303]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By wrinkles303
good question
since this is a public place , there is a question of legality. does he have the right to shoot video without the consent of those present?
i know certain venues can restrict the use of recording devices.
also there is a question of copyright laws.
it might fall on you as the performer and management to decide on allowing recording or how its done. giving you authorization of such recording.

Lots of people will take out their phones and take short videos these days. They want to remember and/or share the experience...flaming desserts, live music, fancy food, etc. I have no problem with that, but there is a line this guy is crossing! I KNOW that there are people there who don't want their activities broadcast. smile
As I said, the guy thinks he is doing a good thing, so I'll talk with Ernest and let him handle it.

#461808 - 11/18/18 09:10 AM Re: Small problem, what would you do? [Re: DonM]
ZootAllures Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Pretty much every venue I've been to here in NY, NJ, and Pa has at times exercised the right to restrict the recording of artists Don. Some of them will allow it but if the artist requests their people will curtail it. It would certainly not seem an unreasonable request from you given the situation you describe.

#461809 - 11/18/18 09:20 AM Re: Small problem, what would you do? [Re: DonM]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I don't see this as SMALL problem. When attending keyboard festivals in UK a notice stated no videoing or sound recording however photo's are fine.
Ask the owner of the club or complex to put a notice up.

#461810 - 11/18/18 09:23 AM Re: Small problem, what would you do? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

We're all doomed!

#461812 - 11/18/18 10:08 AM Re: Small problem, what would you do? [Re: DonM]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Don,
I think Graham has the answer - talk to the restaurant owner about it and see if he can put a stop to it. I had a similar thing happen to me and it is costing me jobs at a place. They recorded using very good camera equipment three of my gigs. Months later I seemed to never get calls from them - well , they use the videos instead of hiring me. I ran into several residents from this place and they all confirmed what I now know is going on.

Anyway, I would talk with the owner of the restaurant and have him put a stop to it.

Deane

#461814 - 11/18/18 10:33 AM Re: Small problem, what would you do? [Re: hammer]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
During your break sit across from him and record him drinking, and eating. Then say " I hope you don't mind me putting this in Facebook"

Seriously it would be up to the owner to tell the customer "there are people that are uncomfortable with his postings, and he will be loosing some good customers because of it. He is welcome to limit his posting, showing only people in his immediate dinner party."

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (11/18/18 11:36 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online