SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#461112 - 11/08/18 12:10 AM Power Supplies
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Does anybody have any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of external vs. internal power adaptors for their arrangers?

Just curious.

#461116 - 11/08/18 05:21 AM Re: Power Supplies [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

you don't have much choice ...either its built in or not. Power cable or wall wart....
Gary Diamond can show you how to build a power box console ...all hook ups, adapters, wires, etc, etc,..
are attached inside......plug kb in one shot and your ready to go works great...

#461121 - 11/08/18 07:12 AM Re: Power Supplies [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I don't know if its cost or getting approval for the design but its up to the manufacturer. If you like the board you have to go with their decision.
I hate the wall warts. I do have some cables that are like short extension cords so the adaptor doesn't take up all the space on the power strip.
And always, ALWAYS have backups. Don't ask me how I know. OK you want to know. Middle of NY Harbor on a ferry for 4th of july Fireworks. My wire for the adaptor for my drum machine breaks right at the point where it can't be fixed. Had to keep going with just a piano. Worked out but taught me a lesson.

#461122 - 11/08/18 07:41 AM Re: Power Supplies [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bachus Offline

External power supplies are build differently and less reliable..
However they are easilly replacable..

They are also clumsy for people that gig...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#461130 - 11/08/18 09:37 AM Re: Power Supplies [Re: Bachus]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I added my own to a previous keyboard to eliminate and external power supply with one like this and an iec socket..

Attachments
4Channel-Smps-Cctv-Camera-Power-Supply.jpg

703W-00_SPL.jpg

Edited by sparky589 (11/08/18 09:43 AM)

#461138 - 11/08/18 10:48 AM Re: Power Supplies [Re: guitpic1]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Power supplies are one of the most common failures in electronics, so having an external one means they are easily replaced, plus there are plenty of quality 3rd party ones at a fraction of the price of a brand name one. (Manufactures don’t make their own (Or at least not often) they just buy them in with their sticker on)
On the flip side they are a pain, but for gigging they are probably ideal, as if they fail you can pop down to an electrical store and pick one up, (Or keep a spare with you) thus your instrument will be down for far less time than having to take the instrument in to a service centre. (Time is money)

Bill

#461154 - 11/08/18 01:24 PM Re: Power Supplies [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
External power supplies are no more, or less, reliable than internal power supplies. ALL Power supplies are the weak link in ALL electronic devices. The good news is that the external power supplies of today are quite rugged, durable and very dependable. I have always been a spare freak - when I was working I had a spare everything, including a spare van. For me, there was no such thing as too many spares.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#461155 - 11/08/18 01:27 PM Re: Power Supplies [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I have always been a spare freak - when I was working I had a spare everything, including a spare van. For me, there was no such thing as too many spares.

Gary cool

Careful Gary, that could lead to HOARDING, and then Donny wouldn't like you anymore smile smile.

chas

#461166 - 11/08/18 05:13 PM Re: Power Supplies [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile
Chas, the way I looked at it was that if I had a piece of equipment suddenly die on the job, I could take a 5 minute break and be back in business. Ironically, this never happened to me in more than 30 years on stage. But, I still kept all those backups up to date - just to be on the safe side. smile Maybe a bit of paranoia, too. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#461187 - 11/09/18 04:27 AM Re: Power Supplies [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Tx

Good comments

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online