SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#461024 - 11/06/18 06:49 AM A Pedal Atheist gets converted.....
Dnj Offline

I have been due to my playing style a "Pedal Atheist" for a very long time and just never believed in using pedals for my needs vs the speed of my fingers on deck to make changes...except using a FS5 switch pedal for VH on & off....even my playing style let me "sound like" I am using a sustain pedal but did not....But lately since have acquired the 76 key Roland BK9 I find myself playing more expressively, sometimes just Piano,EP,etc, where I recently bought a sustain pedal to use. I now also bought a Roland EV5 expression pedal to bring in a color sound ( like Fran has been telling me for years to do) wink & and/or use it to control my lead up1,up2, etc, volumes on the fly without having to adjust them with the drawbars letting me keep my hands on the keys which is nice also.
I don't know at this point if using a multi pedal like the Roland FC-7 if yu could ever find one would suit my needs as worrying about what pedal to push whilc playing is definitly a hindereance and to me anyway always seems to leave a choppy perfromance when you have to look down at your feet, etc, etc, So I guess old dogs can learn a few new tricks. cool2
Next I want to dig into using the 4 assign S buttons next to the joystick too which can really add to your playing experiences...

What are your pedal uses and why......

take care.

Attachments
eeeeeeeee.png

RO-FC7.jpg

Edited by Dnj (11/06/18 07:06 AM)

#461027 - 11/06/18 06:59 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

keys

Attachments
ssssssss.jpg

#461030 - 11/06/18 07:41 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Dnj]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Donnie...You know Fran knows His Stuff. Glad it's working for You...You're Like a Kid with his best New Toy!...Enjoy Harold

#461031 - 11/06/18 07:47 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Harold123]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Harold123
Donnie...You know Fran knows His Stuff. Glad it's working for You...You're Like a Kid with his best New Toy!...Enjoy Harold

Yes Harold Fran is DA man baby! cool2
This whole pedal concept is very interestion if I can work it into my style of playing & singing.

#461034 - 11/06/18 08:14 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Interesting.

đź‘Ť

#461041 - 11/06/18 09:08 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Dnj]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
I'm using
- Yamaha FC7 Expression pedal for (right hand) solo instruments and organ volume.
- Roland DP 10 damper as sustain when try act like an Pianist.
- Yamaha FC5 footswitc for rotarty on/off.
- Roland FC-7 pedalboard collecting dust.
(Got it as a deal when bought BK7-m)
keys
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#461046 - 11/06/18 10:25 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Dnj Offline

Update.....
Just hooked up the EV5 set it to 1 or 2 using the side knob vol adjustment and it really makes a difference and allows me better control of the vol of the sounds while playing, no more "blare-ups".. cool2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azAD3i6xj0Y

Edited by Dnj (11/06/18 10:27 AM)

#461064 - 11/06/18 09:07 PM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Dnj]
Torch Offline

DNJ, you were not forced to covert, right? If so, that ain't a true conversion.

Kidding aside, when I play the digital piano, all I need is a sustain pedal. Now that I am getting a Numa Compact 2x with drawbars, I'll use an expression pedal. Also, I use a MIDI foot controller to send sysEx to my Ketron SD40 to call up functions and sound patches. Korg arrangers have a very good MIDI implementation. You don't need their dedicated foot pedal, but any midi foot controller can send midi program change messages to call up functions.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#461074 - 11/07/18 08:14 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

I am a big pedal user...

2 expression pedals
One for volume
One (kronos) assignable for many things, like filter cutoff

Kronos half damper pedal, for damper..
Kronos switch for assignable button on kronos (1 or 2 depending on performance needs)

Switch on pa4x, for rotary fast/slow

Korg EC5
-asignable1
-assignable2
-start stop acomp
-var up
-var down

The big difference between the kronos and pa4x is that pedals on pa4x are a global setting
And with the kronos they can be assigned differently with every combo or program..

This makes kronos or any wotkstation much much more flexible

http://keyszone.boards.net

#461076 - 11/07/18 08:23 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I have yet to see a player with ALL these pedals playing LIVE in front of an audience not sound choppy or have to look down to see what button his foot is pressing creating an abrupt performance on top of that looking at the chart & lyrics......most times it looks and sounds very Robotic & soulless.
This is why I personally steered clear of using pedals on stage..

#461081 - 11/07/18 08:33 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I suppose the only consolation is that he or she isn't fake playing. Some people seem to think we play the jukebox.

#461084 - 11/07/18 09:00 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I suppose the only consolation is that he or she isn't fake playing. Some people seem to think we play the jukebox.

Bernie sadly that mindset in today's day and age will only get worse.
Seems no one cares but us musicians....Grrrrr mad

#461086 - 11/07/18 09:07 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Without a SUS pedal, a piano losses 1/3 of it’s beautiful. Not being a piano I fell into using note harmony, I hate it. My reason for using is note harmony: – way back I had all to do with dealing with the buttons and controls. So, I took the easy way out, no volume or sustain pedals.

I believe the volume pedal is good when used at home or by an organ player. The Pro. who is playing for a group of dancers is better without it. “opinion” But, if used to control one of the right or left hand sounds, like strings or brass, it is a good add-on.

Tuned a piano in a dinner club for a good piano player. He called me the next day; I forgot to repair the Sus. pedal. Ouch! I would have remembered if I was using one myself.

Good post Donny, I just plugged my Sus pedal in, thanks, John C.

#461087 - 11/07/18 09:19 AM Re: A Pedal Atheist gets converted..... [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
I have yet to see a player with ALL these pedals playing LIVE in front of an audience not sound choppy or have to look down to see what button his foot is pressing creating an abrupt performance on top of that looking at the chart & lyrics......most times it looks and sounds very Robotic & soulless.
This is why I personally steered clear of using pedals on stage..

pedals are just like keys..
if you use them enough you can find them blindly trough muscle memmory

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online