SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#460895 - 11/04/18 11:42 PM Re: Getting old - how has it affected your music life? [Re: cgiles]
BradgeMusicTube Offline

1. I'm much less excited about new gear.
- I'm still really excited about new gear, Genos/PA4X. But i've come to terms with the fact that i'm not able to afford any of that in the first 2 years of release

2. I spend much less time in my studio (and more watching football).
- I still enjoy playing music for YouTube but i'm not nearly as much recording as i should have.

3. My stamina, especially playing organ, is greatly diminished.
- Still have a lot of stamina although my fingers are sometimes playing tricks on me and that's demotivating.

4. I have much less enthusiasm for rehearsals and find that me and my equally old friends spend more time BS'ing than playing smile.
- Ever since we got a saxophone player in the band and rehearsing just for the sake of rehearsing and not actually playing gigs my enthusiasm dropped down to almost zero..

5. I find it harder to memorize new songs (and forget them quicker as well).
- Thankfully no real problems there although i tend to make a lot of small mistakes on songs no matter how much i play them

6. Just the idea of tearing down and setting up makes me nauseous.
- That's why i started playing guitar in a band, was tired of walking 3 miles with a 25lbs keyboard.

7. I buy all my gear now with no consideration for weight or size. That's because I have no plans to move it smile.
- Same for me, it's no problem picking heavy things up, but i find it better to have it all set haha.

8. AND THE BIGGIE...I am much less creative; ie. I find it harder and harder to come up with good solos...so far, comping is no problem, perhaps because it is so second nature.
- Still pretty creative when it comes to improvisations, and i have a pretty good ear so i can fingure out lots of stuff on the fly, but when it comes to actually being creative in songwriting? Don't get me started LOL

Oh, and i'm typing this at the ripe age of....................................... 27

#460899 - 11/05/18 02:06 AM Re: Getting old - how has it affected your music life? [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
At the age of 77 1/2, I, thank God, don't have any physical impairments, and still take my Audya and Pa4X out on gigs. What I have noticed is the change in mental attitude as I am getting older. I quit the rat race of jockeying for position to get jobs. I play my old jobs with friends of 20 years with the band, my weekly Karaoke I put on, one NH, and annual dinners during the season. I maintain my few gigs to have something to prepare for. It is a slower pace, but gives me a purpose other than my own enjoyment. This has given me time in my studio to explore features and new combinations I was too busy to explore.

My wife thinks I should downsize, or at least have more light weight rigs, in the event I get too old to carry the heavy stuff. Consequently, I have my SD40/SK1, Roland Lucina, and am getting back to my vArranger2, which is so improved relative to the 2010 version when I bought it.

We are all different in many respects, but what we have in common is our love of music. So it should be.

#460902 - 11/05/18 04:14 AM Re: Getting old - how has it affected your music life? [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
At 50 I played racket ball with the twenty-years-olds in my band – it was the first time I felt myself aging, and I was going to stay ahead of it. From age sixty to seventy-five I added a Yamaha keyboard --- played parties, weddings, and slowed down gradually.

I played my first NH job when I turned 80. I did my best to keep my energy and drive going, but it was coming. A musician must excite the people he is playing for, and my energy level and drive was slowly leaving.

Played my last job when I reached eighty-four. For the next two years I turned to buying and programing the new keyboards I bought, I thought I would still be able to gig. Part of my nature is to accept, move on and stay positive. I played professionally for over sixty years, I was blessed by my music career, but it was time to move on. I now play my guitar and keyboard for enjoyment. I am selling a Pa4x or a S975, either one makes no difference, just trying to clean house.

Being age eighty-seven places me in a special position in my church. I get invited to speak and share with groups, and get to mentor those who are doing well. In this I’m still important and needed, and that makes me feel good. I guess I am still performing, but to a different audience.
I’ve had a great life filled with music and good friends. I reach eighty-seven this past September, I have been blessed.
John C.

#460903 - 11/05/18 04:32 AM Re: Getting old - how has it affected your music life? [Re: bruno123]
BradgeMusicTube Offline

Sir, i will have to add that reading what you've done until well into your 80s and now sharing your stories and expertise at age 87 with this forum is really fantastic to read!

#460905 - 11/05/18 05:40 AM Re: Getting old - how has it affected your music life? [Re: BradgeMusicTube]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
John C is a Mentor to Me...Harold

#460918 - 11/05/18 06:58 AM Re: Getting old - how has it affected your music life? [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
1. I'm much less excited about new gear.

Me too but I like keeping up on new releases
2. I spend much less time in my studio (and more watching football).

I still play almost every day but sometimes its just piano and no Arranger.
More of a get into the music feel to it.
3. My stamina, especially playing organ, is greatly diminished.

We all go thru that as we get older but so far so good.
4. I have much less enthusiasm for rehearsals and find that me and my equally old friends spend more time BS'ing than playing smile.

I don't know if I could put up with rehersals anymore. I just want to do it my way
DAMN IT ! And get off my lawn !!!
5. I find it harder to memorize new songs (and forget them quicker as well).

Never had good memory skills. thank God for the IPAD
6. Just the idea of tearing down and setting up makes me nauseous.

We all hate it but I've gotten down to a managebale size with my stuff. Except
my keyboard stand. I hate it but can't find anything better .
7. I buy all my gear now with no consideration for weight or size. That's because I have no plans to move it smile.

Just the opposite. all my stuff is a s light as can be to get the job done. I move
everything except the FP90 but I do have a case for that if the right gig
comes along.
8. AND THE BIGGIE...I am much less creative; ie. I find it harder and harder to come up with good solos...so far, comping is no problem, perhaps because it is so second nature.

Actually i think I'm getting better. Playing more solo Piano is helping a lot with harmonization and solos. Nothing to hid behind.

I often regret that I did not get better trained when I was younger. When I look at the playing skill of some of the younger players today, I often think 'I could have been that good if only I'd been more dedicated'. As it turned out, college and the military soaked up that development time. I'd like to say "No Regrets", but that would be disingenuous.

I often think that too. the things I spent so much time and energy on instead of
music but at the time they were the most important to me. I wish the Internet
and YouTube were around then. The progress I could of made if I only had all
that info available.

Edited by Bill Lewis (11/05/18 07:00 AM)

#460928 - 11/05/18 08:10 AM Re: Getting old - how has it affected your music life? [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Just turned 72. Ladies look at me in a totally different way when playing.

Know when the current job ends I won't look for another one.

Studio sessions that last up to 30 hours (film scores)are BRUTAL.

Need to decide whether to giver up music or refuse a new Italian door manufacturer as a client
Simply can't add to a 100 plus hour work week schedule.

Lowering the key of many vocals.

Been offered a "writer in Residence" job at the University, which will tie up about 20 hours a week. Something's got to give.

DAMN!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (11/05/18 08:14 AM)

#460932 - 11/05/18 08:34 AM Re: Getting old - how has it affected your music life? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wow! So much to ponder in these posts. I don't know if it's good or bad but it probably is healthy to stop and access where we are at this point in our lives. Donny is correct; it can be depressing as we watch the things we used to value so much become less and less important. But John C. is also correct in that we can view the musical experiences in our past as a BLESSING, even if we can no longer recreate them. What IS interesting are the different perspectives expressed here and realizing that each of us approaches the inevitable in our own way; some hopeful, some resigned, but all seem grateful to have had (or still have) music in their lives.

chas

#460978 - 11/05/18 12:21 PM Re: Getting old - how has it affected your music life? [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
BTW ... In yesterday's newspaper there was an article about Petula Clark who is still touring at the age of 85 years ! ... She will be appearing at a theater venue in RI this week rocker

#460980 - 11/05/18 12:37 PM Re: Getting old - how has it affected your music life? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
BTW ... In yesterday's newspaper there was an article about Petula Clark who is still touring at the age of 85 years ! ... She will be appearing at a theater venue in RI this week rocker

She performed in the cousin Bruce R&R show vol 2 in Sept here at PNC great show•!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online