SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46073 - 12/22/03 03:10 PM sd card takeup
technicsplayer Offline

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/pressroom/cont2.asp?Filter=12&cont_id=543

I suppose you have to take this with a pinch of salt since a Panasonic press release, but I still find it surprising that SD has already overtaken Compact Flash for the first time - especially since my cameras and mp3 players are CF

I suppose it makes sense since compact cameras will be far outselling SLRs and driving the market, but it does bode well for bigger cards in the future and hopefully continuing falling prices...

#46074 - 12/22/03 04:05 PM Re: sd card takeup
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
When I attended the Technics KN7000 launch last year, it was the general opinion that SD would eventually overtake other Memory cards within about 18 months (if I remember correctly). So it looks as if the expectation has, or will be fulfilled
We should see a 1Gb card in the not too distant future - that will take a bit of filling

Compliments of the season to all SynthZone contributors and readers.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#46075 - 12/22/03 04:22 PM Re: sd card takeup
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alec,

I own a 720 Olympus using Smart Media. Some win, I lose.

The price of SD may be more, but I could give a damn, if Panasonic sill brings out a 7500/8000 Keyboard, which I think leads the industry. ( I am not looking for an arguement from those that think it is not), I will pay the price.

Shame Eddie Williams (US Panasonic) due to restictions, cannot be a part of our support for the Technics Keyboard on the forum. He is an asset to Panasonic and a fine gentleman.

peace from Florida,

Fran

#46076 - 12/22/03 04:33 PM Re: sd card takeup
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bill,

You posted just before me. I hope you are correct and could further support the introducion of new Technics Keyboards.

Technics left the Organ market (sadly to me) but I do hope they find a financial market for keyboards and continue to produce a great product.

Fran in Florida

#46077 - 12/22/03 05:04 PM Re: sd card takeup
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran in Florida:
.....Technics left the Organ market (sadly to me).....

Sadly for all I would add, and just imagine a further
developed GN9 (or what the name of the last Technics organ was)
and the possibilities of the KN7000 melted together in a heavy
furniture.
That would be something to run the fingers and feet on, eh?

The rumours about Technics leaving the music/instrument
developements and productions getting heavier every week, and
the posts here at SZ are still not being commented by those
who really knows what's going on.
But we know there is a Frankfurth Music Messe during the spring,
so maybe more news are going to leak out by then ??

Regarding the SD storage cards, to keep the topic on track, I see
that HP, as a very big company, also use it amomg other electronic
manufacturers.
Since I'm looking for a new camera, I have the storage media in
mind, just in case of my next kboard maybe are named KN7000

Happy playing and SD-saving.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#46078 - 12/23/03 02:28 AM Re: sd card takeup
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Quote:
But we know there is a Frankfurth Music Messe during the spring,
GJ[/B]

Wasn't there alsways one in the US (NAMM) at this time??

rgds.
Willem

#46079 - 12/23/03 04:52 AM Re: sd card takeup
technicsplayer Offline

Well Fran, as long as you have a handful of smartmedia to last you through, the camera does the same job today as you wished when you bought it, so I don't see any losing

Three years ago 1 Gigabyte of microdrive (a miniature hard drive in a compact flash case) was $220 when I got one. At the time 1Gb of CF card was upwards of $400! Now the microdrive can be had for less than $150 in deals and reasonably fast 1GB compact flash cards can be had for just over $200 and are seriously worth considering, particularly for the camera that can take unlimited video. If you are a millionaire you can get 6GB of CF card for four and a half grand

Likewise when the 7k arrived two 64M SD cards were enough for the Technote and Non-Technote archive and were reasonably priced when 128M was still expensive. Soon a couple of 128s were a reasonable price and hold between 40 and 50 audio/sequencer tracks each when 256 was pretty expensive. Now 256 is affordable. So when the 1G SD card comes along Bill, we can expect the price of the 512 to become reasonable for the storage offered... we hope

SD is driven a lot by compact cameras and personal digital assistants. The top Toshiba and HP handhelds have both SD and CF slots, SD for extra memory for programs, songs or video clips and CF for wireless network adaptors or miniature global positioning satellite receivers etc.
Now as well as bluetooth SD cards we see wireless network SD cards to replace CF versions so all we are waiting for is SD GPS receivers !!!

Seasons Greetings.

#46080 - 12/23/03 09:06 AM Re: sd card takeup
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by waterschip:
Wasn't there alsways one in the US (NAMM) at this time??

I could see in a post as General Arranger Forum that Nigel
is going to the NAMM this Saturday, so it's probably that one?
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#46081 - 12/23/03 03:02 PM Re: sd card takeup
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Namm is usually the end of Jan. I believe.

Marilyn

#46082 - 12/24/03 03:34 PM Re: sd card takeup
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Everyone!

If anyone is interested, I recently decided to buy a 128MB SD Card and was quite shocked at the price quoted by my usual dealer so I looked through a well known PC magazine which I subscribe to and sure enough one or two companies were offering SD cards ranging from 16MB to 256MB SD cards at a considerably lower price. I queried this with my dealer who told me that they probably would not work properly with my KN7. However, I remember when the floppies were first introduced I was told "you must use certain manufacturers or else?"... Look at how many different makes are in full use now. So, with this in mind, I rang one of the companies offering lower priced SD Cards and was told that as it was only a storage facility the card should work O.K. but advised against buying a 256MB SD card as at the moment they were experiencing problems with it. So as not to make an expensive mistake I decided to experiment with a 32MB card and guess what! it works perfectly. This card cost me the princely sum of £12.49 and the 64, 128 and 256 cards are offered at approximately one third less than those sold by my dealer. Why the big difference in price? I wonder.

Aud

#46083 - 12/24/03 05:55 PM Re: sd card takeup
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
In a word:
GREED!!!
Bebop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online