SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#460484 - 10/29/18 03:38 PM Playing solo with hammered action keyboard
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I got great responses with my dream combo..more exploration.

What would you choose going solo with a keyboard that has piano action? I think we all know there is a difference between piano action and arranger action...let’s not drown in the details.

By way of explanation, my cousin, who gigs daily(assisted living, parties etc..makes a nice living in this area)brings an 88 key piano/pedals, drum machine, mixer, music stand and book to gigs. But my cousin, like my brother, feels most comfortable with an 88 key weighted keyboard.

Thing is, my Genos does all of this plus vocal harmony. Then I see the Roland FP90/2000. Maybe the way to go but a whole new approach to gigging.

Thoughts?

Edited by guitpic1 (10/29/18 03:41 PM)

#460488 - 10/29/18 05:13 PM Re: Playing solo with hammered action keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Go for it, assuming the Mrs. is cool with you spending the $$$$ LOL 😝

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#460489 - 10/29/18 05:19 PM Re: Playing solo with hammered action keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

But seriously I love playing waited 88 but personally feel it’s too much too lug around especially with an arranger module. My Havian 30 will most likely always stay at home.

#460491 - 10/29/18 06:09 PM Re: Playing solo with hammered action keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
My training was on piano with that said I’m guessing somewhere around 2006-2007 when I started gigging I felt I had to have an 88 key instrument with arranger features. I think for the first few months I used a Yamaha DGX 5xx that didn’t do it for me, then I went with a Casio 88 key piano with arranger features. That didn’t do it either so I added a PSR 3000 and used midi to connect it to the Casio..............I got tired of carrying 2 keyboards around it just wasn’t worth and adjusted to using an arranger like an arranger and not a piano. Just too much work for one hour gigs.

#460493 - 10/29/18 07:02 PM Re: Playing solo with hammered action keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Today, I played a friend's hammered action Roland Electric Piano - after 5 minutes the first thing that came to mind is why would anyone want this type of action. For me, I'll stick with those light keys on my S-950. To each his own, I guess.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#460508 - 10/30/18 05:42 AM Re: Playing solo with hammered action keyboard [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Good points

#460511 - 10/30/18 06:21 AM Re: Playing solo with hammered action keyboard [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Today, I played a friend's hammered action Roland Electric Piano - after 5 minutes the first thing that came to mind is why would anyone want this type of action. For me, I'll stick with those light keys on my S-950. To each his own, I guess.

Gary cool

I think it comes down to what your used to. I've meet many very skilled pianists that find it very difficult to play on non weighted keys. Even well known performs playing in loud setting such Elton John, Alisa Keys, Billy Joel,and Lady Gaga play on weighted digital pianos rather than non weighted synth type keys. Why? Probably since they learned on acoustic pianos and feel more comfortable on weighted keys. Certainly their audiences could care less.... However most of these artist do have their digital piano set in an acoustic shell probably because their audiences would rather see them perform on a piano rather than a keyboard.

#460512 - 10/30/18 06:23 AM Re: Playing solo with hammered action keyboard [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
... why would anyone want this type of action.

Weighted action:
Well, it certainly does feel different, and uses more strength to play comfortably, but there's more to it Gary. My experience has shown me that there is a wider range of expression with a weighted controller. Using the same sound source, I can play with much (yes, MUCH) more expression when I use a controller with more weight. It's mostly noticeable in piano/clav type sounds, but then, that's my bread n' butter.
Since using the PA4x, I've noticed a big difference from my old PA900. If you've never cut your teeth on a piano, or Rhodes, it won't make sense to you, but those of us who are used to "digging in" and "spanking" out a groove will understand. If you spank a psr ANYthing ... it won't sound any different, and you'll bust the keys way before their time.

Try this:
Strike a single key as quietly as you cam, then gradually increase the velocity till you get to the loudest. How many steps did it take? My guess is that most mid range arrangers can only give you about 4-5 levels of volume/timbre change - some even less (CASIO). When I play my Korg SV-1, I can tickle it, spank it, or pound on it with a variety of expression that's simply not possible on some other keybeds.

With all that said ... I don't use the SV1 on the job. It's strictly a studio piece, or for when I do a dueling piano routine.

#460526 - 10/30/18 09:06 AM Re: Playing solo with hammered action keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Good explanation UD

#460536 - 10/30/18 12:06 PM Re: Playing solo with hammered action keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, I agree with the piano part, but most of the time I'm not using a piano when playing an arranger keyboard. I use saxes, horns strings, vibes and lots of guitars, but rarely a piano comes into the song unless it's part of the style itself. With nearly all the other instruments I use the pitch bend wheel, which produces the expression I wish to impart.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online