SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#460418 - 10/28/18 08:25 AM Volume Settings for Pa
fjs714 Offline

Hi Fellas,
I have an RCF evox8 pa. I also use an Allen and Heath zed12 mixer because we use 6 mics for singers and Korg Pa4x. My question---whether you're using RCF or Eon or any PA---Where do you set your volume at the back of the PA? 50%, 90%??? before doing setting on the mixer?
Thanks frank

#460426 - 10/28/18 08:47 AM Re: Volume Settings for Pa [Re: fjs714]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By fjs714
Hi Fellas,
I have an RCF evox8 pa. I also use an Allen and Heath zed12 mixer because we use 6 mics for singers and Korg Pa4x. My question---whether you're using RCF or Eon or any PA---Where do you set your volume at the back of the PA? 50%, 90%??? before doing setting on the mixer?
Thanks frank

Mostly on all my PA units I usually on average set PA channel & master vol at 2 o'clock....overall settings is a separate matter for Each venue, instruments, etc, and each players sound to be achieved...but these are my experiences...more easier with a sound man out front too..
then adjust sound accordingly on my Mixer & Kb, etc, while playing live throughout..

Edited by Dnj (10/28/18 09:00 AM)

#460427 - 10/28/18 08:52 AM Re: Volume Settings for Pa [Re: fjs714]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Regardless of the PA, you need to set each component, source, mixer, amp, speakers, to the correct and optimum gain stage. In other words, no component should be over driven, so the sound is clean at each stage.
Check each channel of the mixer by inputting the loudest mic or sound to be sure it is overdriven.
Check the output of the mixer and the inputs of the PA to be sure nothing is over driven.
Ideally you should have headroom at each stage. If you don't have enough volume, you need a larger amp or active speaker. There is no magic percentage to go by as almost every setup is different.
On my own setup my mixer never goes into "red" on any channel. The lines from it go into two separate powered speakers, and they have plenty of headroom for anything I want to do.
I set the speakers so that they won't distort or go into safe mode. If in a venue where I need to be really loud, I can pump up the volume from the mixer because the speakers are set where they can't be overdriven.
Hope this helps.

#460464 - 10/29/18 08:25 AM Re: Volume Settings for Pa [Re: DonM]
fjs714 Offline

Thanks very much fellas

#460467 - 10/29/18 12:28 PM Re: Volume Settings for Pa [Re: fjs714]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Frank,

Over the years I have discovered that the vast majority of the conventional and line array PA systems seem to provide the best audio quality when the master gain level is set between 60 and 70 percent. Then, by adjusting your mixer and or individuals instrument gains to a balanced setting, you will acquire the optimal quality and loudness needed for your audience.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online