SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#452 - 02/19/04 04:27 PM Software for cleaning up recordings?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can you recommend a software program that will let me take a digital recording with "noise" on it I don't want, filter out the noise, and let me hear what's left.

#453 - 02/19/04 06:50 PM Re: Software for cleaning up recordings?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Well, I personally use Waves plug-ins for that.
However there is a bunch of noise reduction software out there. I recommend you search the net and try some demos. Just look for stand alone noise reduction programs.
BTW ONe thing to watch out for is the ones that cut out the high end frequencies. You don't want that happening.

I'll do some searching of my own, so I can be a bit more specific with my suggestions.

-ED-

#454 - 02/22/04 02:13 PM Re: Software for cleaning up recordings?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys.. I'm new here, and I have query more or less on the same lines, i.e. "eliminating noise" (I wasn't sure whether or not to start a new thread)

My query is this: Can anyone recommend any good software for eliminating noise or sounds from audiofiles???

Perhaps I should explain a little about what I want to do. The audiofile I have that I want to eliminate noise/sound is that of a "birdsong". Whilst the birdsong is being emitted, in some parts there appears the sound of a grasshopper (a high pitch trill), and it is this that I want to eliminate.

Any suggestions??

I appreciate any help, any pointers in he right direction.

Thanks

#455 - 02/22/04 04:12 PM Re: Software for cleaning up recordings?
3351 Offline

Hello!

You can't really remove individual sounds from a recording.
YOu can only do that if every sound is recorded on a separate track/s.

-ED-

#456 - 02/22/04 10:26 PM Re: Software for cleaning up recordings?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since my original post I have found some good software: Diamond Cut Millenium available at www.enhancedaudio.com/cheap_noise_reduction.htm. Free 10 day trial, then $59. Also a neat "forensics" version with more capabilities. It's "crippled" version (30 seconds of audio work only, and no file saving) but $1,400 for full working version!!! It does seem to be able to remove individual sounds with its "brick wall filter" Give it a try.

#457 - 02/23/04 11:42 AM Re: Software for cleaning up recordings?
3351 Offline

Hmmm...
Well, some of my TDM plug-ins claim to be useful for sound removal (technology based on different filters, phaze manipulation and stuff like inversion / canseletion) work pretty well for hum/hiss removal and may be de-crackling.
I suspect the software that you mentioned is trying to do the same kinda thing.

As good as that kind of software is, it's by no means capable of removal of complete sounds from recordings without significantly compromising the quality.
BUt good luck anyway.Let me know how things turn out.

-ED-

#458 - 02/24/04 01:03 AM Re: Software for cleaning up recordings?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys, I've been searching on the net too for anything that might be able to help.. in particular I've come across a couple of "forensic" "police/investigation" type thing.... It does appear that these are only limited to cutting out "noise/backgroud noise" (hisses, etc...) but I'm going to have a go and see what come out (if anything!).
Will let y'all know...
L8r

#459 - 02/24/04 11:36 AM Re: Software for cleaning up recordings?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I use Sony EZ Audio. works fairly well. dehisser, denioiser for ground loops or crowd ambience, varying degrees of success. Declicker and decrackler, again with varied success. Graphic eq, reverb, echo, compressor.
I like the program overall. If the problems aren't severe, it does a pretty nice job. more severe noises cause swimminess and mp3 sounding results. Very cheap though. like $50.

#460 - 03/02/04 09:22 AM Re: Software for cleaning up recordings?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I used an LE version of the diamond cut software that came bundled with an older program, and it did a pretty decent job of eliminating noise if I didn't try to push it too far. It also does a few other things fairly well, similar to what Rory's Sony EZ Audio program does.

I agree with Ed and Rory on this one. So far, anything I have used will degrade the overall quality when I try to elminate complete sounds. My preferred noise reduction and editing software has been Cool Edit pro, but again, I don't push it. Mainly I use it to eliminate or silence any noise at the beginning of a track, or before the song itself begins and again at the end, and sometimes I stretch it to cover a drumstick type lead in. I'm a few versions behind so I'm not sure what Syntrillium ( Cool edit ) has out there now, but it wasn't exorbitant price wise.

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online