SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#459601 - 10/13/18 09:59 AM Here's a song for my friend Chas
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I understand it has been a little wet in Atlanta.
Rainy Night in Georgia. Last night on PA1000.
https://app.box.com/s/u0i18z7iycxw6mrtpdrcrqasvwx2vpsj

#459607 - 10/13/18 11:06 AM Re: Here's a song for my friend Chas [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Don, your music is good. Well what makes good? Your voice and style are 70% of what makes you good, and the keyboard does the rest.

Now for my request:
Record some up-beat country music, John C

#459612 - 10/13/18 11:48 AM Re: Here's a song for my friend Chas [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Great job. One of my all-time favorites. Brook Benton would be proud. I always wanted to do an instrumental (featuring organ - I can't sing) of that tune but the basic song is so pretty, you really don't want to mess around with it too much. BTW, towards the end I liked the way you substituted a min 2nd for a min sixth; it worked very well. Of course you have to be good enough musician to know when it will work and when everyone will go "huh???" smile. If I weren't watching GA Tech while waiting for UGA at 3:30, I'd go down and practice it smile.

Don, I think you may have done it before but doesn't matter; if you get a chance, how about posting a version of 'Georgia'. I think you could put just the right amount of 'Willie' to it (I like his version about as much as the Ray Charles version).

chas

#459613 - 10/13/18 11:51 AM Re: Here's a song for my friend Chas [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Great job. One of my all-time favorites. Brook Benton would be proud. I always wanted to do an instrumental (featuring organ - I can't sing) of that tune but the basic song is so pretty, you really don't want to mess around with it too much. BTW, towards the end I liked the way you substituted a min 2nd for a min sixth; it worked very well. Of course you have to be good enough musician to know when it will work and when everyone will go "huh???" smile. If I weren't watching GA Tech while waiting for UGA at 3:30, I'd go down and practice it smile.

Don, I think you may have done it before but doesn't matter; if you get a chance, how about posting a version of 'Georgia'. I think you could put just the right amount of 'Willie' to it (I like his version about as much as the Ray Charles version).

chas

Just thought I'd try the E minor and it turned out o.k. Really didn't think anyone would notice. Good ear.
I'll see if I have a decent version of Georgia. Great song!
Thanks!

#459629 - 10/13/18 02:27 PM Re: Here's a song for my friend Chas [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Here ya go Chas,
Georgia on PSR S970 from May, 2018.
https://app.box.com/s/axgqtc5kcsla9tuw2kfumc1dj5y6winl

#459631 - 10/13/18 02:55 PM Re: Here's a song for my friend Chas [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Here ya go Chas,
Georgia on PSR S970 from May, 2018.
https://app.box.com/s/axgqtc5kcsla9tuw2kfumc1dj5y6winl

Much better Don... clap

#459634 - 10/13/18 04:07 PM Re: Here's a song for my friend Chas [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Better, more interesting, John C.

#459635 - 10/13/18 04:25 PM Re: Here's a song for my friend Chas [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Thanks Don. Hate to admit it, 'cause I hate agreeing with Donny more than once a year smile , but AT THE MOMENT, the Yammy does sound better than the Korg. I'm guessing that's because you had the Yammy tweaked and fine tuned. That's why I think you'll bring the PA1000 up to it's potential. Just need to keep playing with it.

I liked that version of Georgia; I tend to play it too slow and draggy (trying to squeeze as much blues out of it as I can, I guess). Now I see it can be effective played at a faster tempo. Oh, and yes, that 'Willie' influence is definitely in there and it's not all that subtle smile.

Every time I hear a song that I like done a different way, it always spurs me to try new approaches to it. So if you hear one of your 'licks' in one of my future versions, YES i STOLE IT, SO WHAT! smile smile

chas

#459636 - 10/13/18 04:34 PM Re: Here's a song for my friend Chas [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Damned Don, you almost sound as good as I do with this one. Actually, you sound better than me, but I would never admit this in public. wink

All the best,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#459660 - 10/14/18 07:01 AM Re: Here's a song for my friend Chas [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I recognized the "style" immediately... and was surprised at how you "wrapped up" "Georgia" with it so well. If I had been asked to select a style for "Georgia"... I probably would not have had the chops to recognize how well it would fit. Nice!

----Dave

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online