SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#459033 - 10/03/18 03:46 PM OT: Trigger Finger Surgery?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I’ve had trigger finger in both hands on the ring fingers. In the right had I’ve had 4 shots, 3 in the left. Initially the shots helped but after this last round of shots to correct the problem they have had very little effect. I’m now faced with 2 options living with it or having surgery. My ortho doctor tells me the recovery time is a day but suggested I don’t touch the keys for at least a week.

What’s ironic is when I play the arranger or the piano my fingers feel good my problem with stiffness is when I wake up after a nights sleep.

Anyone had surgery for trigger finger, if so I’d like to hear about your experience and the after surgery.

Edited by Stephenm52 (10/03/18 03:52 PM)

#459034 - 10/03/18 04:01 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have a friend that had the surgery four years ago. It worked pretty good for about two months, then returned and now he can no longer play - it was his left index finger. The recovery time was about 10 days at most, but the docs tell him that he is not a candidate for another surgical procedure. So now he just DJs.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#459036 - 10/03/18 04:22 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I have a friend that had the surgery four years ago. It worked pretty good for about two months, then returned and now he can no longer play - it was his left index finger. The recovery time was about 10 days at most, but the docs tell him that he is not a candidate for another surgical procedure. So now he just DJs.

Gary cool

Doesn't sound promising. If I can't play piano or keyboard what's the use, music brings too much enjoyment to take a risk of not being able to play.

#459037 - 10/03/18 04:41 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
jingleman Online   content

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
I’ve had trigger fingers on both hands. After going through a number of cortisone shots (which did help), I opted to let it ride without surgery. After awhile, the problem kind of healed itself. I still wake with some symptoms, but they improve during the day.

It really is not a problem anymore. Just my experience.

jingleman

#459039 - 10/03/18 05:15 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Stephenm52 Offline

Jingleman, thanks for the feedback. My original thought after speaking to the doc was to have it done but after I left his office my "gut feeling" told me what I'm hearing from you "let it ride."

#459040 - 10/03/18 05:53 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Steve ... How does it affect you? ... I have one - the middle finger of my left hand - depending on what I'm doing, it will lock in the bent position and then I can 'snap' it back ... fortunately, it doesn't affect my playing ...

#459041 - 10/03/18 05:53 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Jingleman, thanks for the feedback. My original thought after speaking to the doc was to have it done but after I left his office my "gut feeling" told me what I'm hearing from you "let it ride."

Steve go get a few opinions first.

#459042 - 10/03/18 06:21 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Steve ... How does it affect you? ... I have one - the middle finger of my left hand - depending on what I'm doing, it will lock in the bent position and then I can 'snap' it back ... fortunately, it doesn't affect my playing ...

Tony, that's exactly how my 2 ring fingers act, they lock up in a bent position but I can snap them back. It doesn't affect my playing either. I do have pain closing my fists and my grip isn't as firm as it should be.

Originally Posted By Dnj

Steve go get a few opinions first.

Donny, I just may ride things out until it gets to a point where I have no choice to have it treated. A few opinions are a good suggestion. Thanks.

#459044 - 10/03/18 06:43 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]

Steve, surgery is not a panacea by any means, and for the most part, trigger finger can be successfully treated by merely placing your hands in warm water three times a day, then placing them in cold water 3 times a day. It is an inflammatory process that responds well to NSAIDS as well. Aspirin works quite well in reducing the inflammation. While steroidal injections will provide immediate relief, the side effects tend to worsen the problem with repeated usage. Conservative docs will tell you to just stop what triggers the problem for about six weeks and use the hot/cold treatment.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#459045 - 10/03/18 06:48 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Dr. Wizard I'm impressed! clap

#459046 - 10/03/18 06:50 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Steve, surgery is not a panacea by any means, and for the most part, trigger finger can be successfully treated by merely placing your hands in warm water three times a day, then placing them in cold water 3 times a day. It is an inflammatory process that responds well to NSAIDS as well. Aspirin works quite well in reducing the inflammation. While steroidal injections will provide immediate relief, the side effects tend to worsen the problem with repeated usage. Conservative docs will tell you to just stop what triggers the problem for about six weeks and use the hot/cold treatment.

Good luck,

Gary cool

I'll give those suggestions a try but if playing the piano and keyboard for 6 weeks is part of the cure, it won't happen. I should probably spend less time typing at the computer though. computer

#459047 - 10/03/18 07:00 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Steve, I would have to agree with Donny, get another opinion --- and then follow some of Gary’s good ideas. I was told to take medication for my Parkinson (shaking hands) I said no!

Has it gotten any better? No, but I was laughing today, and yesterday was fantastic. No meds until they become a must. On the positive side my wife let’s me scramble the eggs every morning. (smile)

Hope this helps, John C.

#459049 - 10/03/18 09:51 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Mark79100 Offline

I should probably spend less time typing at the computer though. computer

Steve.......I had the same problem last year...real bad. God, was I in panic! I did the whole circuit getting opinions, advice, medical profession consultations, possible cortisone or surgery, lots of Internet research. In the end, putting it all together, my instinct told me to "let it ride." I then watched my physical patterns closely to see what might be causing it. Yes, extreme repeated pressure on that left hand little finger. Both from the computer keyboard AND the piano keyboard. Computer keyboard...I made a conscious effort to lighten my pressure on the keys and change the finger "position" as it comes down on the key. With the piano, I spend a lot of time practicing my left hand with the little finger taking all the hits from playing bass notes, stride piano, etc.so I did the same thing...lightened the touch as much as I could and made sure the finger was coming down on the keys correctly. Also, what Gary said, take an anti-inflammatory. I took Voltaren or (generic) Diclofenac. Works wonders in bringing down the inflammation, but after 3-4 days I get an upset stomach. Voltaren now comes in a gel so you might want to try applying it 4x a day and see what happens. I think everyone would agree, surgery is the last step. Avoid it if you can....there's no turning back if it doesn't go well!

Mark

#459061 - 10/04/18 04:44 AM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Stephenm52 Offline

John C., Mark and everyone thanks for your input. As of this morning I'm canceling the surgery and will let things ride. I'll also try what Gary has suggested.

#459069 - 10/04/18 07:10 AM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Thanks for that advice, Gary:

My tingling fingers were mis-diagnosed as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and the surgery was a massive failure as far as I'm concerned... on both hands.

I'll begin your recommended regimin today.

----Dave Rice

#459071 - 10/04/18 07:19 AM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Dnj]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Going in tomorrow to have xrays done of my hands. I'm not sure what I have but I lnew it hurts like hell. Been using cbd to ease pain for short periods of time, I thought it was arthritis but was told by physical therapist that its tendinitis. VA has approved 13 weeks of therapy and IK hope that will help.

#459073 - 10/04/18 07:25 AM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Do you think these symptoms are related to playing the keyboard or something else at this time.....
get well all soon.

#459076 - 10/04/18 07:50 AM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Trigger finger on the 1st finger of his right hand caused my good friend, Grammy winning 5 string Bluegrass banjo player J.D. Crowe to retire in 2011.

As befits a great guy, he is not bitter; just grateful for the many years he could play.

Don't much like Bluegrass, but really appreciate the person.

Hang in there, friend.

R.

#459077 - 10/04/18 08:04 AM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]

Dave, tingling fingers on older folks, such as most of us here on the zone, are often the result of Raynaud's Disease, which is not at all uncommon. I was tested and diagnosed with this in both my hands and feet. It can be quite painful at times in my feet, and I now have to wear warm socks in order to sleep. Cotton gloves help the hands, but usually only during times of inactivity.

You can find more information on this at https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20363571

Good luck, guys,

Gary cool

#459078 - 10/04/18 08:06 AM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Do you think these symptoms are related to playing the keyboard or something else at this time.....
get well all soon.

From my point of view I did a lot of work at the computer when I worked in sales, then when I changed careers and entered the computer support management field for 15 years I was at the computer keyboard constantly. Even though retired from full time work I spend lots of time at the keyboard either playing or at gigs and a lot of the other times I'm still at the computer keyboard , My wife tells me I get carried away once I sit and play the piano or arranger, I spend hours at it and she thinks I need to cut back. Yea I will cut back on the 12th of never. smile smile

Dave Rice thanks for sharing your experience. I called the surgeon's office this morning and cancelled the date I set up for surgery.

Edited by Stephenm52 (10/04/18 08:07 AM)

#459080 - 10/04/18 08:19 AM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
get well all soon.

From my point of view I did a lot of work at the computer when I worked in sales, then when I changed careers and entered the computer support management field for 15 years I was at the computer keyboard constantly. Even though retired from full time work I spend lots of time at the keyboard either playing or at gigs and a lot of the other times I'm still at the computer keyboard , My wife tells me I get carried away once I sit and play the piano or arranger, I spend hours at it and she thinks I need to cut back. Yea I will cut back on the 12th of never. smile smile

Dave Rice thanks for sharing your experience. I called the surgeon's office this morning and cancelled the date I set up for surgery.

Steve would a lighter keybed help at all like a S975 or Pa1000?
maybe time to change?

#459090 - 10/04/18 01:11 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I'll venture a guess and blame my tingling fingers on both hands squarely at the feet of the Game of Golf. I don't play the keyboard well enough to "pound the keys" with sufficient force to cause bodily harm... LOL!

Now that I have also injured my back because of the twisting motion of the golf swing... coupled with old age... I'll have to "bite the bullet" and just say, "Thanks for the memories, Mr. Golf!" It was fun while it lasted. Those pristine mornings with the old foursome were wonderful when coupled with all the silly side-bets and general BS we shared.

Stephen, I hope I have not accidentally "led you astray." I'm not a Doctor... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once! After reading Gary's link about Raynaud's... I don't believe I have that problem either. The warm water treatment sounds intriguing if it does not cause me to wet my shorts. Remember those days when, as campers, we would fill a bowl with warm water and find some poor schnook still sleeping and put the bowl under their outstretched hand? Nine times out of ten, they would quickly run for the out-house.

Have a great weekend, guys. ----Dave Rice

Edited by Riceroni9 (10/04/18 01:12 PM)

#459091 - 10/04/18 03:12 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Stephenm52 Offline

Donny,

I was in Florida recently for a few weeks and had acces and did play the s970 that did not make a difference.

Dave Rice,

No your post did not discourage me. I was not completely sold on surgery and called it off. My problem is not so bad that I can’t live with it. I did get a call from a SZ member earlier today, he said he had the surgery on both hands a couple of years ago and is doing fine.

Ekuburski, Good luck with your xrays and diagnosis.

#459097 - 10/04/18 09:38 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Mark79100 Offline

Steve......forgot to mention the most important thing that helped me overcome. I changed computer keyboards. Tried almost everything I could find in the stores. Then I found the perfect one for people with like hand conditions. It's the Logitech K750...about $75. The keys are closer to the bed so the fingers don't have to move as much. That with proper finger positioning and a conscious effort to lighten my strokes I think is what helped me the most. That was a cheap cure.....$75!

#459102 - 10/05/18 03:15 AM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Mark79100]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
Steve......forgot to mention the most important thing that helped me overcome. I changed computer keyboards. Tried almost everything I could find in the stores. Then I found the perfect one for people with like hand conditions. It's the Logitech K750...about $75. The keys are closer to the bed so the fingers don't have to move as much. That with proper finger positioning and a conscious effort to lighten my strokes I think is what helped me the most. That was a cheap cure.....$75!

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. Yes $75 is a cheap cure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online