SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#459033 - 10/03/18 03:46 PM OT: Trigger Finger Surgery?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I’ve had trigger finger in both hands on the ring fingers. In the right had I’ve had 4 shots, 3 in the left. Initially the shots helped but after this last round of shots to correct the problem they have had very little effect. I’m now faced with 2 options living with it or having surgery. My ortho doctor tells me the recovery time is a day but suggested I don’t touch the keys for at least a week.

What’s ironic is when I play the arranger or the piano my fingers feel good my problem with stiffness is when I wake up after a nights sleep.

Anyone had surgery for trigger finger, if so I’d like to hear about your experience and the after surgery.

Edited by Stephenm52 (10/03/18 03:52 PM)

#459034 - 10/03/18 04:01 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have a friend that had the surgery four years ago. It worked pretty good for about two months, then returned and now he can no longer play - it was his left index finger. The recovery time was about 10 days at most, but the docs tell him that he is not a candidate for another surgical procedure. So now he just DJs.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#459036 - 10/03/18 04:22 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I have a friend that had the surgery four years ago. It worked pretty good for about two months, then returned and now he can no longer play - it was his left index finger. The recovery time was about 10 days at most, but the docs tell him that he is not a candidate for another surgical procedure. So now he just DJs.

Gary cool

Doesn't sound promising. If I can't play piano or keyboard what's the use, music brings too much enjoyment to take a risk of not being able to play.

#459037 - 10/03/18 04:41 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
jingleman Online   content

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
I’ve had trigger fingers on both hands. After going through a number of cortisone shots (which did help), I opted to let it ride without surgery. After awhile, the problem kind of healed itself. I still wake with some symptoms, but they improve during the day.

It really is not a problem anymore. Just my experience.

jingleman

#459039 - 10/03/18 05:15 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Stephenm52 Offline

Jingleman, thanks for the feedback. My original thought after speaking to the doc was to have it done but after I left his office my "gut feeling" told me what I'm hearing from you "let it ride."

#459040 - 10/03/18 05:53 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Steve ... How does it affect you? ... I have one - the middle finger of my left hand - depending on what I'm doing, it will lock in the bent position and then I can 'snap' it back ... fortunately, it doesn't affect my playing ...

#459041 - 10/03/18 05:53 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Jingleman, thanks for the feedback. My original thought after speaking to the doc was to have it done but after I left his office my "gut feeling" told me what I'm hearing from you "let it ride."

Steve go get a few opinions first.

#459042 - 10/03/18 06:21 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Steve ... How does it affect you? ... I have one - the middle finger of my left hand - depending on what I'm doing, it will lock in the bent position and then I can 'snap' it back ... fortunately, it doesn't affect my playing ...

Tony, that's exactly how my 2 ring fingers act, they lock up in a bent position but I can snap them back. It doesn't affect my playing either. I do have pain closing my fists and my grip isn't as firm as it should be.

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Stephenm52

Steve go get a few opinions first.

Donny, I just may ride things out until it gets to a point where I have no choice to have it treated. A few opinions are a good suggestion. Thanks.

#459044 - 10/03/18 06:43 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: Stephenm52]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Steve, surgery is not a panacea by any means, and for the most part, trigger finger can be successfully treated by merely placing your hands in warm water three times a day, then placing them in cold water 3 times a day. It is an inflammatory process that responds well to NSAIDS as well. Aspirin works quite well in reducing the inflammation. While steroidal injections will provide immediate relief, the side effects tend to worsen the problem with repeated usage. Conservative docs will tell you to just stop what triggers the problem for about six weeks and use the hot/cold treatment.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#459045 - 10/03/18 06:48 PM Re: OT: Trigger Finger Surgery? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Dr. Wizard I'm impressed! clap

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online