SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#459001 - 10/02/18 10:41 PM appropriate songs for Seniors (and Juniors)
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I was researching the history of "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" and came across this list. I'm doing a lot of trivia in my performances now, so this gave me more info to work with.

The songs "1920-1929".......I didn't know some of those were that old.

SONG LIST

Also....I read about Irving Berlin. Many of the songs we do were (surprising to me) written by him. I often open up with this Berlin Medley: Alexander's Ragtime Band, Always, White Christmas, Puttin’ on the Ritz, Cheek to Cheek, Top Hat White Tie and Tails, Easter Parade, There’s No Business Like Show Business.

More Irving Berlin and Fred Astaire trivia I use...

Irving Berlin, who called Astaire his favorite singer, pointed out that while Astaire may not have been a great voice, his rhythm and timing were any songwriter's dream. "He's not just a great dancer," said Berlin. "He's a great singer of songs."

Every songwriter wanted to write for Fred Astaire...he had more songs written expressly for him than any other singer.

But perhaps the most meaningful quote comes from Irving Berlin (who scored six Astaire films, including three at RKO with Ginger Rogers). Berlin said, "Writing for Fred was different from writing for other singers. If I was writing songs for a picture with Bing Crosby or a show with Al Jolson or Ethel Merman, I just wrote the songs and they sang them. But with Fred, I wrote the songs with him in mind." It seems hard to imagine a higher compliment

#459011 - 10/03/18 05:55 AM Re: appropriate songs for Seniors (and Juniors) [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Thanks Mark I enjoyed reading your post. You brought back the names of music I love.
I told my Dad, who was a Pro-musician, that must accept all kinds music, even the new. Sorry to say I have become my Dad.

John C.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online