SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#458973 - 10/02/18 09:53 AM O.K. here's what happened with SD7
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
First of all, I loved my PA4X. However playing the same place most all the time, to many of the same people, I thought I'd like to try something that sounds a little different, so I bought the SD7 from Deane (Hammer).
Indeed it does sound different. It sounds like a live band. Love the sounds and styles.
Another consideration was that Korg will most likely introduce a new top of the line arranger within the next year. If I'm still around it will be tempting.
As for the SD7, I did forget about the larger footprint. I had to used a bigger stand and bigger bag, and it is harder for me to transport and set up when I do need to do that. Space is limited where I set up and the extra length makes difference.
The vocal harmonizer is quite good, but I really got spoiled by the T.C. Helicon in the Korgs.
While the Ketron operating system is good, and once you learn it, pretty easy to use, I am something of an expert on the Korg OS, and find it easier to do some of things I like to do in real time.
Anyway, if anybody really cares, I traded the PA4X to Uncle Dave and got his PA1000 and some money. I actually like the PA1000 much better than anticipated and it seems to be a great option for me right now.
And now, I've traded the SD7 to DNJ for his Yamaha and some money. I will either keep the S970 for backup or it may well be available. I feel there is a far better resale market for the S970 than for the SD7, but who knows.
For the time being I will have two lightweight arrangers, both of which I have fully programmed and know inside out.
For example tomorrow I have to play a function in the another room at 5:00, then in the club room at 7:00. It sure helps to have two complete setups so I don't have to move things in the middle of the evening, in front of customers. This evening alone will go a long ways toward the cost of changing some gear, even though after all this I have been out very little, if anything.
As I mentioned there are no bad choices these days. As much as I liked the SD7, I feel it isn't the best choice for me now, and I know DNJ will enjoy it for several weeks! smile
(Sorry Donny, couldn't resist.)

#458974 - 10/02/18 09:57 AM Re: O.K. here's what happened with SD7 [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

cool2

#458977 - 10/02/18 10:46 AM Re: O.K. here's what happened with SD7 [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Donny wants to trade the SD7 for my BK9.... grin

#458978 - 10/02/18 10:55 AM Re: O.K. here's what happened with SD7 [Re: DonM]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Don,
It really does make a lot of sense to me. I decided to buy the Ketron SD90 module to replace the SD7 I sold to you for basically the same reasons - getting a lighter load to haul around on my gigs. I'm glad Donny got the SD7 - he will enjoy it.

It was good to see you again - hope all goes well for you in the future.

Deane

#458979 - 10/02/18 12:39 PM Re: O.K. here's what happened with SD7 [Re: hammer]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By hammer
Hi Don,
It really does make a lot of sense to me. I decided to buy the Ketron SD90 module to replace the SD7 I sold to you for basically the same reasons - getting a lighter load to haul around on my gigs. I'm glad Donny got the SD7 - he will enjoy it.

It was good to see you again - hope all goes well for you in the future.

Deane

A super light setup?
Yamaha moxf + ketron sd40..
Thats less then 9 kg..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#458981 - 10/02/18 01:09 PM Re: O.K. here's what happened with SD7 [Re: Bachus]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
I hope Dnj posts some music made on his new SD7 - really, forum members should post much, much more of the music they make on their own arrangers over here.

If they did, the rest of us might start to appreciate the strenghts of the various different brands. I have not seen a single song from a private owner on the SD9 over here as yet. Why is that?

The best Genos demo yet was from that guy who plays his live, singing and all. I consider him to be better than Peter Baardman and even Michael V. It is from demos like these that we truly learn from other brands.

#458984 - 10/02/18 01:46 PM Re: O.K. here's what happened with SD7 [Re: Henni]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Don-

What do you think of a pa1000 with ketron sd2 or sd1000 perched on top? If you don't use speakers there's room, and you get the terrific ketron sounds. Doesn't work with Tyros- too many sounds default to piano. Korg plays better with Ketron. I too like korg navigation and have been trying to decide What to do for months.

Edited by sparky589 (10/02/18 02:26 PM)

#458992 - 10/02/18 03:56 PM Re: O.K. here's what happened with SD7 [Re: DonM]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Originally Posted By DonM
I know DNJ will enjoy it for several weeks
. rotfl

#458993 - 10/02/18 03:59 PM Re: O.K. here's what happened with SD7 [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I would think the PA-1000 would work great with a Ketron module. I used to have a Midjay and it worked great with about any controller. Haven't had once since, except Roland BK7.

#458996 - 10/02/18 05:42 PM Re: O.K. here's what happened with SD7 [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Deane,

Curious is that the SD7 I sold you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online