SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#458673 - 09/25/18 06:41 PM Ketron SD7 early review
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just a few thoughts after using it on the job for two weekends and one private party...
Of course the drums and bass are wonderful, as expected.
I love the "natural" sounds, guitars, pianos, saxes, fiddle, pedal steel, trumpets, harmonica, flutes, organs... Those are the ones I use and I want them to sound like they are supposed to, and they do.
I'm becoming more familiar, or re-familiar with the operating system and it has some good features.
The huge touch screen has really great definition and it is very responsive as well. It helps that the screen is large, so the icons can be large as well.
The onboard speakers are fantastic. I had not been using them until Monday night at the party, when I had to set up a little behind the two Maui 5 speakers.
I decided to turn on the speakers and the sound was great. In fact too loud, so I turned the keyboard volume down. Then I realized I was not hearing the Maui 5s. I had to figure it out quickly and I wanted to make certain I wasn't missing something so I called AJ and asked him if turning the speakers on would affect the L&R outputs.
He said "no way". But he said they are really strong.
Then I realized that I had to turn the keyboard volume down, and the speaker/mixer volume UP to balance everything. A few minutes of experimenting and everything was fine! Those speakers are so powerful I could have done the job with just the keyboard.
Of course there are some things I don't like much. The power supply is external, adding another "wall wart" to the setup.
There is no indicator light to tell you if the vocal harmony is on or off; you have to remember it.
There is no phantom power for the mic.
It's a TAD heavier than I thought it would be, but I'm not moving it much and when I do I have lots of help. It is three pounds heavier than the Korg PA-4X61. Doesn't sound like much...
It's too long, just like all the other Ketrons. I had to change stands from my 61-note size to a 76-note size, even though the keyboard is a 61. Same thing for the carry bag.
However the wasted space on the right makes a great mouse pad! Or you could easily set a mini mixer or whatever there.
Just thought some would want to hear my first impressions.

#458675 - 09/25/18 07:09 PM Re: Ketron SD7 early review [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Just a few thoughts after using it on the job for two weekends and one private party...
Of course the drums and bass are wonderful, as expected.
I love the "natural" sounds, guitars, pianos, saxes, fiddle, pedal steel, trumpets, harmonica, flutes, organs... Those are the ones I use and I want them to sound like they are supposed to, and they do.
I'm becoming more familiar, or re-familiar with the operating system and it has some good features.
The huge touch screen has really great definition and it is very responsive as well. It helps that the screen is large, so the icons can be large as well.
The onboard speakers are fantastic. I had not been using them until Monday night at the party, when I had to set up a little behind the two Maui 5 speakers.
I decided to turn on the speakers and the sound was great. In fact too loud, so I turned the keyboard volume down. Then I realized I was not hearing the Maui 5s. I had to figure it out quickly and I wanted to make certain I wasn't missing something so I called AJ and asked him if turning the speakers on would affect the L&R outputs.
He said "no way". But he said they are really strong.
Then I realized that I had to turn the keyboard volume down, and the speaker/mixer volume UP to balance everything. A few minutes of experimenting and everything was fine! Those speakers are so powerful I could have done the job with just the keyboard.
Of course there are some things I don't like much. The power supply is external, adding another "wall wart" to the setup.
There is no indicator light to tell you if the vocal harmony is on or off; you have to remember it.
There is no phantom power for the mic.
It's a TAD heavier than I thought it would be, but I'm not moving it much and when I do I have lots of help. It is three pounds heavier than the Korg PA-4X61. Doesn't sound like much...
It's too long, just like all the other Ketrons. I had to change stands from my 61-note size to a 76-note size, even though the keyboard is a 61. Same thing for the carry bag.
However the wasted space on the right makes a great mouse pad! Or you could easily set a mini mixer or whatever there.
Just thought some would want to hear my first impressions.

Don great 2nd review on your second try with the Sd-7 how did you record anything? How is the joystick and guitars?

Edited by Dnj (09/25/18 07:11 PM)

#458678 - 09/25/18 10:11 PM Re: Ketron SD7 early review [Re: DonM]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Great review Don. How's the SD7 built-in speakers compared to Pa1000's?

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#458686 - 09/26/18 03:17 AM Re: Ketron SD7 early review [Re: synerjim]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Tx for taking the time to review. It will be interesting to see if you ‘bond’ with the Ketron in the days to come.

#458688 - 09/26/18 03:45 AM Re: Ketron SD7 early review [Re: DonM]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Don: Any initial thoughts on how it compares to your PA4X?

Thanks,
jingleman

#458701 - 09/26/18 08:27 AM Re: Ketron SD7 early review [Re: synerjim]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By synerjim
Great review Don. How's the SD7 built-in speakers compared to Pa1000's?

Well I don't have them side by side, and both are quite loud. As I remember the Ketron speakers seem even louder than the Korg, but I will have to research a little. I JUST received the PA1000 and so far I only used headphones except for a minute or so to try the speakers.

#458702 - 09/26/18 08:40 AM Re: Ketron SD7 early review [Re: jingleman]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman

Thanks,
jingleman

They are really different animals. The 4x has fantastic real-time controls, even down to details such as labeling on top where the pedals, mic, etc plug in, so you don't have to fumble or lift the kb to see them. The vocal harmonizer is o.k. in the SD7, but simply great in the 4X. I prefer many of the lead sounds on the Ketron. Styles on both are good, but I enjoy a lot of the Unplugged styles on 4X.
Screen resolution is better on the SD7, BUT it doesn't tilt.
I prefer the easy hookup for Korg EC5 pedal. The Ketron still has one of those old screw-in cables that printers used to have.
I prefer the standard power supply on the Korg, rather than outboard. Size of the Korg is much better and the layout is nearly perfect for live play.
Chord sequencer and midi-to-style converter on the Korg are nice.
I prefer the keytouch on the Ketron, but bear in mind that for me, lighter is better. Both are fine though.
The sliders are in a great position on the SD7, but there are more on the Korg and they are all programmable.
The Korg fits a 61 note stand and bag. SD7 is 76 note size.
Many more differences, some of advantage for each kb. As I said they are really different.
It would come down to personal preference.
Ketron has only AJ for support in US. However he is easier to reach than anyone at Korg, although Paulo monitors the Korg forum and is helpful. You can't pick up the phone and call him though.
I like both arrangers. Hope I'm still around when the successor to the 4X comes out in a year or so!

#458703 - 09/26/18 08:47 AM Re: Ketron SD7 early review [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Originally Posted By jingleman

Thanks,
jingleman

They are really different animals. The 4x has fantastic real-time controls, even down to details such as labeling on top where the pedals, mic, etc plug in, so you don't have to fumble or lift the kb to see them. The vocal harmonizer is o.k. in the SD7, but simply great in the 4X. I prefer many of the lead sounds on the Ketron. Styles on both are good, but I enjoy a lot of the Unplugged styles on 4X.
Screen resolution is better on the SD7, BUT it doesn't tilt.
I prefer the easy hookup for Korg EC5 pedal. The Ketron still has one of those old screw-in cables that printers used to have.
I prefer the standard power supply on the Korg, rather than outboard. Size of the Korg is much better and the layout is nearly perfect for live play.
Chord sequencer and midi-to-style converter on the Korg are nice.
I prefer the keytouch on the Ketron, but bear in mind that for me, lighter is better. Both are fine though.
The sliders are in a great position on the SD7, but there are more on the Korg and they are all programmable.
The Korg fits a 61 note stand and bag. SD7 is 76 note size.
Many more differences, some of advantage for each kb. As I said they are really different.
It would come down to personal preference.
Ketron has only AJ for support in US. However he is easier to reach than anyone at Korg, although Paulo monitors the Korg forum and is helpful. You can't pick up the phone and call him though.
I like both arrangers. Hope I'm still around when the successor to the 4X comes out in a year or so!

Don nice second owning try SD7 review wink
....so when are you pre ordering the new KORG PA5x.... coffee

Edited by Dnj (09/26/18 08:48 AM)

#458704 - 09/26/18 09:02 AM Re: Ketron SD7 early review [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Donny, as I said, I don't even buy green bananas these days. Hope I'm still around when and if one comes out, but I won't buy anything ever again until the bugs are worked out, and they all have bugs at first.
When are you getting a Genos, seems like you sure talk about it a lot. smile

#458706 - 09/26/18 09:36 AM Re: Ketron SD7 early review [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online