SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#458437 - 09/21/18 12:34 PM Re: Are you a Sharp Dressed man when performing? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
I've often posted on this board about how I feel that those of us in the late 60 to late 70 and beyond age group were musicians at what I think was the perfect time ... Especially for those of us who were able to perform with other good musicians, especially when they had good character ... I was blessed to work with the same group of great talented guys for 26 years ... we were able to play the 'top 40' in OUR style, with OUR sound - we were the only 5 piece 'wedding band' with an alto player, not a tenor - and we ALWAYS dressed for the occasion ... our sax layer was a graphic artist by profession and he was always up on the latest fashion regarding tuxedos, formal shirts, bow ties etc. - one thing he refused to do was the 'Nehru' jacket thing - but he kept us looking sharp from head to toe, including the patent leather shoes ...
Today, in this far too casual world (JMHO !!!) people don't dress 'for the occasion' ... the clothes they wear at McD's are the same clothes they wear for dinner in an upscale restaurant ...
These days for NH/AL venues I wear a nice short sleeve sport shirt - it's always about 95 degrees in these places, even with my fan - and nice slacks ... an evening gig in the same venue, I will wear a shirt and tie ... When I fill in at a restaurant, it's usually a black shirt with a light grey (silver) tie, grey slacks and possibly a black blazer ...
Last week I played in the dining room of this upscale Italian restaurant and the owner wants the musicians - one in the dining room, another in the lounge - to wear tuxedos or a black suit with a white shirt and bow tie ... I'm dressed like that playing to some '40 somethings' wearing tees shirts, jeans and baseball caps on backwards !!! confused1 But personally, I enjoy getting 'dressed up' for a gig ...

Tony love the old school look...old habits are hard to break....
don't know how the younger set appreciates it but we know it works for many years.!!

#458478 - 09/22/18 07:53 AM Re: Are you a Sharp Dressed man when performing? [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
UD once said, "We should always dress better than our audiences" or something along those lines.

Pretty close, Gary. What I said was "I like to dress at least as good as the bartenders" ... I gauge the room by the dress of the staff. I'm not going to over dress, if the crowd is used to a more casual attire, and I won't under dress if the wait staff is all in tux-like garb. For most of my performances, I'm more casual than formal, but almost never jeans, unless the room is set up to accept it. Most of my afternoon things are fine with dress pants, and a button down shirt.

#458482 - 09/22/18 08:49 AM Re: Are you a Sharp Dressed man when performing? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Slacks, sport coat, no tie, mostly combinations of black, white, grey, red shirt sometimes.
Previously the customers were required to wear coat and tie...no dress code now.
I used to always wear a tux, but would be overdressed now. I'm still better dressed than most of the customers. frown

#458484 - 09/22/18 09:11 AM Re: Are you a Sharp Dressed man when performing? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
This was how I dressed for a casual party - no tie. Pretty much everything else stayed the same, black slacks, shiny shoes, satin shirt, cuff links, silk vest.

Gary cool

Attachments
IMG_6145.jpg

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#458489 - 09/22/18 10:08 AM Re: Are you a Sharp Dressed man when performing? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary looking good you "Sharp Dressed Man" cool2

#458490 - 09/22/18 10:08 AM Re: Are you a Sharp Dressed man when performing? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Slacks, sport coat, no tie, mostly combinations of black, white, grey, red shirt sometimes.
Previously the customers were required to wear coat and tie...no dress code now.
I used to always wear a tux, but would be overdressed now. I'm still better dressed than most of the customers. frown

cool2

#458512 - 09/22/18 02:45 PM Re: Are you a Sharp Dressed man when performing? [Re: Dnj]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Keep on rocker Don ! I love it. bow

Regarding the threads topic, we used to dress according to what occasion we should play.
Anyway, always decent clothing.
keys
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online