SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#460750 - 11/03/18 11:04 AM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
Dnj Offline

Does anyone else here on SZ play a Roland EA7……?

#460752 - 11/03/18 11:10 AM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By hammer
Well, if anyone wants one I have one for sale.

Deane

No you don't. See you in Dallas tomorrow at 1:00.
surprised

#460753 - 11/03/18 11:22 AM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
DonM Offline

I'm going to give it a try as my second arranger, or backup.
There are four main things I don't like about it.
It doesn't display text files.
No Vocal Harmonizer.
No real Break/fill.
No connection for pedal controller.
I have a T.C. Helicon Harmony M which I love. So I will use it for the vocals, and it also frees up the programmable foot switch. I will use it for break/fills. Stay tuned.
I will use the expression pedal to morph between two lead sounds, R1 and R2.
I will use the sustain pedal for ...sustain. smile
I think I know a way to make break/fills. I will have to experiment but plan to create my own and write them to one of the four intros. There a limited number of styles where I need the break, so I think I can make three or four and save them with those styles. A number of styles have them built in, so I may be able to copy them and paste into the intros.
This leaves the text display problem. I know with the Korg PA1000, you can use an app to call up text or PDF files from registration, and also the opposite. Don't know if this is a feature of the Roland, but if it isn't I'll just use the laptop or a tablet and do it manually. I can have several folders open and ready to use, for example Christmas songs, Standards, etc. I know hundreds of song lyrics by memory, so it isn't a deal-killer.
I do like the styles, sounds and many of the functions. This will be an on-going project and I hope it all works out. Oh, and I LOVE the light key touch, and the overall light weight.

#460755 - 11/03/18 11:50 AM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

clap clap clap keys... Good luck Don... Welcome back to Roland!

Keep us posted on your experiences with it...

#460760 - 11/03/18 12:50 PM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By DonM
I'm going to give it a try as my second arranger, or backup.
There are four main things I don't like about it.
It doesn't display text files.
No Vocal Harmonizer.
No real Break/fill.
No connection for pedal controller.
I have a T.C. Helicon Harmony M which I love. So I will use it for the vocals, and it also frees up the programmable foot switch. I will use it for break/fills. Stay tuned.
I will use the expression pedal to morph between two lead sounds, R1 and R2.
I will use the sustain pedal for ...sustain. smile
I think I know a way to make break/fills. I will have to experiment but plan to create my own and write them to one of the four intros. There a limited number of styles where I need the break, so I think I can make three or four and save them with those styles. A number of styles have them built in, so I may be able to copy them and paste into the intros.
This leaves the text display problem. I know with the Korg PA1000, you can use an app to call up text or PDF files from registration, and also the opposite. Don't know if this is a feature of the Roland, but if it isn't I'll just use the laptop or a tablet and do it manually. I can have several folders open and ready to use, for example Christmas songs, Standards, etc. I know hundreds of song lyrics by memory, so it isn't a deal-killer.
I do like the styles, sounds and many of the functions. This will be an on-going project and I hope it all works out. Oh, and I LOVE the light key touch, and the overall light weight.

Don, no multi pedal input, but the EA7 has 7 assignable buttons placed in a good area for live play..

Also no text read, but you can use jpeg, but you need to send to a monitor to view.
The EA7 will also read lyrics embedded in MP3's on the keyboard screen.(I wish the SD7 did). frown

Just write a couple breaks for the styles you need.. It is just as easy to pull down the sliders for the style parts during a fill and call it a break smile

BTW: say hello to my old EA7 and tell it I am sorry I sold it to DNJ. smile

Don't be surprised if I end up with another EA7.... maybe yours grin

#460763 - 11/03/18 01:25 PM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
DonM Offline

Nothing surprises me Fran!
I'm sitting here listening to old recordings I did on the BK7m from ten years ago and they sound great! I actually already have a setup ready to go, as I had an EA7 last year, but returned it when the trial period ended. I did the same thing with the BK9. They are the only two returns I ever made to Sweetwater.

Edited by DonM (11/03/18 07:48 PM)

#460772 - 11/03/18 05:18 PM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: DonM]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By DonM
Nothing surprises me Fran!
I'm sitting here listening to old recordings I did on the BK7m from ten years ago and they sound great! I actually already have a setup ready to go, as I had an EA7 last year, but returned it when the trial period ended. I did the same thing with the SD9. They are the only two returns I ever made to Sweetwater.

Sweetwater sells the SD9?

#460777 - 11/03/18 06:03 PM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Don meant BK9 wink

Edited by Dnj (11/03/18 06:04 PM)

#460781 - 11/03/18 07:49 PM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Don meant BK9 wink

yes

#460783 - 11/03/18 09:00 PM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Has anyone made money on this EA7... or just Sweetwater.. smile

I took a hit.. DNJ always finds a way to lose money grin

Deane looks like he lost a bit smile

And if I am in the next equation.. Don will take a hit wink

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online