SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#458200 - 09/17/18 10:24 AM My impressions of the Roland EA-7
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
I recently acquired to give back later the Roland EA-7 and I am very surprised for the money what you actually get. Although I have a KORG PA4x this thing is a monster, it has so many styles and so many sounds, WOW!
keybed feels good and not flimsy, is lightweight and the sounds?
Drum sets and Pianos are very good to me ear and if you are a middle eastern musician especially arabic styles this keyboard is a must, and it even has a sampler? the 2 screens also help alot because you don't have to push too many buttons to get more functions, the only thing that I don't like is that it doen't have after touch and I am used to that feature on all the high end Korgs. I will see if anything else is interesting and post it here.

Edited by vangelis (09/17/18 10:25 AM)

#458204 - 09/17/18 11:17 AM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By vangelis
I recently acquired to give back later the Roland EA-7 and I am very surprised for the money what you actually get. Although I have a KORG PA4x this thing is a monster, it has so many styles and so many sounds, WOW!
Drum sets and Pianos are very good to me ear and if you are a middle eastern musician especially arabic styles this keyboard is a must, and it even has a sampler? the 2 screens also help alot because you don't have to push too many buttons to get more functions, the only thing that I don't like is that it doen't have after touch and I am used to that feature on all the high end Korgs. I will see if anything else is interesting and post it here.

good luck I enjoyed playing mine for a while great kb to gig with lightweight and gig featured.

#458206 - 09/17/18 11:40 AM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
Bachus Offline

I played and compared it to a pa900 and a psr950 about 2 years ago or so... liked the keybed the least of those 3.. but thne i allways struggle with light touch keybeds..

Feature wise, a very strong board.. i was expecting an ea9 back then with 76 top keybed.. 2 touchscreens and 9 sliders and knobs in the middle with the whole integra as a soundset...

It never happened...

Edited by Bachus (09/17/18 11:42 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#458210 - 09/17/18 12:07 PM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY

The E-A7 is a great board for the money. Good sounds and the ease of use is the best IMO of the big three. I ended up with a PA900 because I wanted the built-in harmony. Now if Roland would make a keyboard with harmony and bigger screen(s) it would be a world beater.

Edited by W Tracy Parnell (09/17/18 12:08 PM)

#458211 - 09/17/18 12:28 PM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell

The E-A7 is a great board for the money. Good sounds and the ease of use is the best IMO of the big three. I ended up with a PA900 because I wanted the built-in harmony. Now if Roland would make a keyboard with harmony and bigger screen(s) it would be a world beater.

ditto on the EA7....
I just used a Tc helicon VH unit when needed great bang for the buck for sure in an arranger kb..
no big deal.

#458242 - 09/18/18 05:35 AM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, if anyone wants one I have one for sale.

Deane

#458247 - 09/18/18 06:21 AM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
For anyone who is considering an E-A7, here are some pros and cons compared to my Korg PA900:

Sounds
This category is about equal in my opinion. You may find some sounds you prefer on one machine over the other but in general they are comparable.

Physical Control
The E-A7 has 7 assignable switches if you can find a use for that many. The Korg has three. Neither keyboard has a dedicated foot controller available such as the Korg EC5-you will have to move up to the much more expensive PA4X for that. The E-A7 does have centrally located sliders which is a big plus. Both keyboards have an assignable knob, but Roland has no data wheel.

Screen
The Korg wins here with a 7-inch touch screen that makes things like naming files and reading lyrics much easier. Some folks do like the dual screen setup on the Roland which does allow for having separate areas of the OS visible at the same time.

Songbook/Registrations
Roland fell down here in a big way by not allowing more than 100 User Programs (as Roland refers to them). You can have multiple lists of 100 but it is not as flexible as Korg’s Songbook. However, it is easier to save listings on the Roland-just hit the “write” button. The process is more complicated on Korg but also allows detailed searches.

Keybed
The Korg is better-the Roland has a somewhat “cheap” feel and the keys are slightly shorter. It should be mentioned that the Roland is lighter and easy to haul.

Mic and Harmony
Roland has no harmony-big minus. Korg has the industry leading TC Helicon built in. I will say I thought the E-A7 preamp sounded better.

Price
The Roland is $1299 new and much less used. The successor to the PA900-the PA1000 is $1999 which is a big difference. To be fair, you will get some additional features for that money such as MIDI to style converter and Kaoss.

In the end, the harmony and screen on the Korg won out for me.

#458249 - 09/18/18 06:27 AM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
Dnj Offline

#458349 - 09/19/18 09:42 PM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
OK, I always loved many Roland products
I don't know what to say but I am enjoying the EA-7 styles over many other keyboards that I have and had, the accordions are also very impressive which are one of favorite instruments, again the only setback that I have is the after touch how much would that add to the price?

#458350 - 09/19/18 10:16 PM Re: My impressions of the Roland EA-7 [Re: vangelis]
Bachus Offline

OK, I always loved many Roland products
I don't know what to say but I am enjoying the EA-7 styles over many other keyboards that I have and had, the accordions are also very impressive which are one of favorite instruments, again the only setback that I have is the after touch how much would that add to the price?

There is a reason only top models have aftertouch.. the way prices are calculated aftertouch will really drive the price by like 20% in this cattegory...

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online