SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#457906 - 09/11/18 10:08 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - to add to the "Survey", I don't use MIDI files - not for any "active" or particular reason ... just was never part of my particular method (or dare I say my "style") of playing ... I have a bunch of them, and occasionally listen to them at home, but I have never used them while performing ... I'm sure they add a nice new/different way to play, and I can see that - might be fun to try - but ultimately I'll probably stick with my method where I play solo keys w/o styles sometimes (solo piano style), sometimes with a 5pc band I'm part of, and by using styles the rest of the time... thankfully there are lots of options and people can get creative in many ways with all the tools we have these days!

Jim

#457908 - 09/11/18 10:19 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Creating your OWN recorded midi file songs is what I am mostly talking about NOT commercial ones you buy. By doing this and being the player on top of it it allows you to be the maestro and arrange the song the way YOU need it to sound like and make it as simple or complex as you need it to be. I understand that many aren't aren't experienced to do so or are too lazy and that's a shame frown but, if you give it a shot, learn from others, dig into your kb you will be very surprised to find out what beautiful musical arrangements you can come up with to play with and be proud of. Mix them up with some style playing in your repertoire and sing your heart out too taking your act to new levels..good luck. cool2

#457918 - 09/11/18 11:02 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Dnj
I've been using EMC program since the Floppy Disc days lol...

Me too, as well as several others.
I'm using the XT Universal, but it's really not "a piece of cake' to make things shine.....
not even after all these years. shocked
Nowadays when Audiostyles are more common, EMC has became obsolete in many ways.
smoke
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#457920 - 09/11/18 11:18 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
Originally Posted By Dnj
I've been using EMC program since the Floppy Disc days lol...

Me too, as well as several others.
I'm using the XT Universal, but it's really not "a piece of cake' to make things shine.....
not even after all these years. shocked
Nowadays when Audiostyles are more common, EMC has became obsolete in many ways.
smoke

Yep the time is NOW for manufacturers to make it a much easier feature on board arrangers to create your own custom styles...
the first one the does that will be the KING OF THE MOUNTAIN.....
Ketron is on the right track for sure....

#457934 - 09/11/18 01:41 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I normally play about 90 percent styles. When I do use SMF ( or audio tracks ) here’s a few reasons why that come to mind:

1. Two handed parts can be played, especially rootless and more complex extensions that aren’t typically recognized with auto accompaniment.

2. I use SMF for songs that have very important baselines, drum parts, breaks, or too many parts for me to comfortably cover.

3. Sometimes I cover songs that for the most part are in 4/4 timing but will have an odd time measure here or there. For example, the chorus of “ I Say a Little Prayer for You” has a 3/4 measure in the middle of a phrase.

4. I also play chromatic harmonica on some songs and to use both hands to do so.

5. Sometimes I run into a song where I can’t find a style that seems suitable.

6. Some songs have ritardando, accerando, or sudden dynamic changes which are hard to do with auto accompaniment.

If I had a keyboard with a chord sequencer, I’d probably use less backing tracks than I do now.

I do have a lot reasons why I generally use styles over SMF, but maybe we’ ll leave that for another thread?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#457940 - 09/11/18 05:29 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Donny: I’ve used them, but I usually buy the ones where they allow you to mix the track the way you want. Such as, removing lead guitar and lead vocal.

jingleman

#457941 - 09/11/18 05:45 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Baccus mentioned converted SMFs.

Is there a converter that will change MIDI files to Roland format ?

Here is a free program from Roland.. not sure about this site..

https://style-converter.software.informer.com/download/

#457956 - 09/12/18 12:01 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Torch Offline

I think vArranger makes a fantastic tool to make SMF backups.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#457959 - 09/12/18 01:39 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I use MIDI files sometimes with a live band when playing electronica style songs that have 3 or more keyboard parts. I either pick one of the keyboard parts to play live or play guitar.

#457963 - 09/12/18 05:57 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
I use MIDI files sometimes with a live band when playing electronica style songs that have 3 or more keyboard parts. I either pick one of the keyboard parts to play live or play guitar.

Exactly Nigel so many ways to use SMF they are very flexible..its all in your hands on what you want it to sound like using them.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online