Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Oh, poor me.

Bill tough life but somebody has to do it may as well be you! GRIN

#457902 - 09/11/18 09:27 AM Re: OT: Hurricane Florence [Re: Stephenm52]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm not worried about the storm. I will go to the boat and double up some of the dock lines, lengthen them to accommodate any tidal surge and river riseings, but for the most part, there's nothing else I can do. I think the worst we will get is high water from the Susquehanna River, but not much in the way of winds.

Yesterday, there was a waterspout sighted near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, a huge one that would have been devastating had it hit the bridges. Now, those things scare the Hell out of me. I've only seen one while sailing, but it got my undivided attention. It passed within a half mile of my boat and touched down on Tilghman Island, doing millions in damage.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/waterspout-twists-chesapeake-bay-57716835

Stay safe, everyone,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#457907 - 09/11/18 10:12 AM Re: OT: Hurricane Florence [Re: Stephenm52]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I've got my acoustic guitar, my violin, and a trumpet (friend plays that one), all set for acoustic music if I lose power :-) I remember in a few power outages, having a friend or two from nearby over, and we jammed using just acoustic instruments! "The old fashioned way"! :-)

[I also have a large battery with inverter for A/C power, but I'll probably save that for emergency needs should I need it ... it can nicely run my Genos and a small PA though!]

:-)

Jim

#457935 - 09/11/18 02:41 PM Re: OT: Hurricane Florence [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary
I have a friend here moving from Long Island. He was a big boater for many years and belonged to a club. He told me when Sandy hit some of the members did as you are with their boats and some took them out. The ones that were out of the water sitting on pedastals ( or whatever you sit large boats on ) all got trashed, some completely.
Sounds like your making the right move old salt.

#457937 - 09/11/18 03:40 PM Re: OT: Hurricane Florence [Re: Stephenm52]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The problem with putting your boat on land, especially in a flood prone area, such as the Jersey coast, is the tidal surge can actually lift the boat from the jack stands and float it away to where it will be dashed against an immovable object.

The other problem is that unless the boats on jack stands is anchored or tethered to the ground, high winds can easily topple the boat, especially sail boats because of their mast height. My mast is nearly 60 feet above the ground when I'm on jack stands.

In the water, and tied to a pier, especially a floating dock, you just double up the mooring lines. However, if the tidal surge is extremely high, the floating dock can actually lift above the anchoring poles and float away with all the boats still tied to the dock. I saw that happen during Hurricane Camille, when a 80-foot section of dock came floating down the Susquehanna River from the town of Port Deposit with a dozen boats still attached. Ironically, all the boats and the section of floating dock passed beneath the Amtrac Bridge without hitting it, then went aground on the Susquehanna Flats. All the boats were retrieved about a week after the storm passed.

When a hurricane approaches the US Naval Bases, such as Norfolk, Portsmouth, San Diego, the ships leave the docks and go into the nearby bays and anchor up to ride out the storm. Sometimes, they go out to sea and ride it out, but these ships are built to handle any kind of weather. I only rode out one while in the US Navy, Hurricane Hazel. Thought I was gonna die. wink Some sailors were so seasick they wished they would die.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online