SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#457800 - 09/10/18 10:18 AM How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY?
Dnj Offline

Only asking who does use Midi files NOT who doesn't....
this way discussion won't go south as usual..
thanx.... wink

just sayin' it frees you up to really get creative with two hands playing & in my opinion enhances an arrangement which can create from scratch with many many added parts along the way unlike a style can never do with it's limitation enjoy the videos.....
mix it up y'all wink

headphone

Edited by Dnj (09/10/18 10:34 AM)

#457837 - 09/10/18 03:18 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Glad to see everyone is using them....

#457838 - 09/10/18 03:19 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Or no one is using them. smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#457845 - 09/10/18 03:35 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Just record a style with chord changes plus fills as required to suit the song, then play back and use full keyboard live.
Works very well.

#457847 - 09/10/18 03:52 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Graham UK]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Graham UK
Just record a style with chord changes plus fills as required to suit the song, then play back and use full keyboard live.
Works very well.

Graham exactly that's why Korg kbs have a backing track mode just for that purpose so you can play along with two hands and do so much more to add to the song.....

Sorry Gary I love you man.. but your negativity on midi files, karaoke, etc, and other ways of playing and creating music is really getting old... seriously there's more ways of making music on a kb besides using styles

Edited by Dnj (09/10/18 03:53 PM)

#457852 - 09/10/18 04:48 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#457856 - 09/10/18 06:22 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I resisted ,using them for a long time until I got the BK9 with its Jump/Mark buttons. I edit them and can play along doing the keyboard part as ,I would with a band. And I'm in full control of the arrangement as I would be using a Style. Lots of fun.
There's a drummer here who plays with a long established band but also does solo gigs using Midi files. He plays drums and sings over them. Very creative.

Edited by Bill Lewis (09/10/18 06:23 PM)

#457857 - 09/10/18 06:54 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
I resisted ,using them for a long time until I got the BK9 with its Jump/Mark buttons. I edit them and can play along doing the keyboard part as ,I would with a band. And I'm in full control of the arrangement as I would be using a Style. Lots of fun.
There's a drummer here who plays with a long established band but also does solo gigs using Midi files. He plays drums and sings over them. Very creative.

I hear you Bill....
And Roland is one the best for Smf.... Ask Fran.. Lol.... Stay safe with hurricane Florence too.

#457858 - 09/10/18 09:27 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Not much...

but when playing left hand bass its good to play on top of a midi file,...
markers an loops are a nice thing when using midifiles..
But most of the time, i am just using the style drums track when piano playing

On the korg pa4x, midi file are also used to create (stylesparts)
Where the results of the style creator (converting midi file to style) in general are acceptable (with some edditing)
I tend to create the iconic parts like bass and guitar patterns to a standard style to get sometimes stunning results..

In the end, i prefer styles..
Why?
Probably because i allways did..

looking forward to multi track audio files on the only brand that supports these...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#457867 - 09/10/18 11:58 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Although I have a solid collection of quality midifiles from several manufacturers, I rarely use it.
When I use midifiles, it's for listening and learning tunes. Sometimes only to copy the lyrics in it.
Why I do not use midifiles as playback is because when we were active, there were many who
only used midifiles, and to me all sounded like the same player no matter what name they had.
So for me, the solution was to customize styles for our use, which meant we did not sound like
everyone else. (At Technics that was quite easy...)
We were Duo or Trio, and then we should not sound like a Big Band or a major symphony orchestra.
Just my 0.0002$
keys
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#457876 - 09/11/18 05:50 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Donny:

Thanks for providing another great song by Sergio Mendes. I noticed you "excluded" non-users of MIDI but I don't use it. Not because I won't or would not... it's just that Arrangers provide most of my songwriting needs. I did buy the cables required and kept them just in case. LOL!

B-T-W... what instrument was he playing? Looked like a shrunken Baby Grand?

#457883 - 09/11/18 07:23 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I use midi files for several instances where I need more automation than styles provide, and yes, I could use the chord sequencer IF I use my PA4X. With the Pa4x, I am playing and singing with styles, but sometimes play SMF files and read the lyrics and notation right on the machine. No need for laptop here, and it is very accurate with customizable key signatures.

Recently, I have found another use in adding harmonica to my repertoire, which has been very well received. I am very good at playing any song,within reason, I know by ear, in any key. There are times with small venues when I need the the least amount of equipment I can get by with. To wit: SD40, mic, and the smallest controller to midi to the SD40 in order to play alternate melody with the harmonica. All I have to do is go to my favorite instruments folder for a quick choice of lead instrument as the midi is playing(melody muted). I, normally, play both hand split, but can get by with melody only with SMF.

Now, let's go a step farther, and say I want to play styles with the SD40. No problem with the SK1, but, if I want a minimal footprint, I still need a controller big enough for left chord and right melody. How small can I go?

#457885 - 09/11/18 07:40 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I use midi files for several instances where I need more automation than styles provide, and yes, I could use the chord sequencer IF I use my PA4X. With the Pa4x, I am playing and singing with styles, but sometimes play SMF files and read the lyrics and notation right on the machine. No need for laptop here, and it is very accurate with customizable key signatures.

Recently, I have found another use in adding harmonica to my repertoire, which has been very well received. I am very good at playing any song,within reason, I know by ear, in any key. There are times with small venues when I need the the least amount of equipment I can get by with. To wit: SD40, mic, and the smallest controller to midi to the SD40 in order to play alternate melody with the harmonica. All I have to do is go to my favorite instruments folder for a quick choice of lead instrument as the midi is playing(melody muted). I, normally, play both hand split, but can get by with melody only with SMF.

Now, let's go a step farther, and say I want to play styles with the SD40. No problem with the SK1, but, if I want a minimal footprint, I still need a controller big enough for left chord and right melody. How small can I go?

Bernie you mention some really good points here as i know you are a great MIX IT UP ARTIST and I admire that immensely, no wonder your audiences love your performances. I is very admirable that you experiment and utilize different methods of performing music on stage in many ways,....the SD40/SK1 or KB Controller of my choice is an awesome combo for sure something that I am seriously considering.
If someone would make me an offer trade deal of a
mint Ketron SD40 module for my mint Yamaha S970 that would be something
I would seriously consider
just email me.. wink
...anyway Bernie keep making great music and have fun buddy
I'm rootin' for ya!

Edited by Dnj (09/11/18 07:52 AM)

#457886 - 09/11/18 07:42 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Baccus mentioned converted SMFs.

Is there a converter that will change MIDI files to Roland format ?

#457887 - 09/11/18 07:49 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Bill have someone via email etc,.. use a KORG Pa4x to convert the SMf to style....
then use the universal style converter to Roland...be aware many times they don't sound that good once Frankensteined lol..
or map well either but some do ...good luck.

PS be careful Florence is upon you soon...take care

Edited by Dnj (09/11/18 07:49 AM)

#457888 - 09/11/18 07:50 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]

Maybe Bachus was thinking about EMC.
Here is a link to the EMC Roland version, but there is also an Universal verion.
Rather old now, and it's not been any updates for some time.

Edited by Gunnar Jonny (09/11/18 07:50 AM)

#457895 - 09/11/18 08:37 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

I've seen that EMC product before. Two things that stopped me is the price as I don't know how much I would really use it and I think its PC based and I'm a MAC guy.
thanks for the info.

Fran ????????

Is there something cheap ans easy to use out there ???

#457899 - 09/11/18 09:01 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
Maybe Bachus was thinking about EMC.
Here is a link to the EMC Roland version, but there is also an Universal verion.
Rather old now, and it's not been any updates for some time.

No, its a standard feature of the PA4x

http://keyszone.boards.net

#457901 - 09/11/18 09:23 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Bachus]

Originally Posted By Bachus
No, its a standard feature of the PA4x

Yes of course, the onboard midi2style converter. smile
My bad memory. Heelp, I'm getting old! shocked

#457904 - 09/11/18 09:57 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

I've seen that EMC product before. Two things that stopped me is the price as I don't know how much I would really use it and I think its PC based and I'm a MAC guy.
thanks for the info.

Fran ????????

Is there something cheap ans easy to use out there ???

I've been using EMC program since the Floppy Disc days lol...

http://www.emc-musicsoftware.com/Style-Works-XT/en

#457906 - 09/11/18 10:08 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - to add to the "Survey", I don't use MIDI files - not for any "active" or particular reason ... just was never part of my particular method (or dare I say my "style") of playing ... I have a bunch of them, and occasionally listen to them at home, but I have never used them while performing ... I'm sure they add a nice new/different way to play, and I can see that - might be fun to try - but ultimately I'll probably stick with my method where I play solo keys w/o styles sometimes (solo piano style), sometimes with a 5pc band I'm part of, and by using styles the rest of the time... thankfully there are lots of options and people can get creative in many ways with all the tools we have these days!

Jim

#457908 - 09/11/18 10:19 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Creating your OWN recorded midi file songs is what I am mostly talking about NOT commercial ones you buy. By doing this and being the player on top of it it allows you to be the maestro and arrange the song the way YOU need it to sound like and make it as simple or complex as you need it to be. I understand that many aren't aren't experienced to do so or are too lazy and that's a shame frown but, if you give it a shot, learn from others, dig into your kb you will be very surprised to find out what beautiful musical arrangements you can come up with to play with and be proud of. Mix them up with some style playing in your repertoire and sing your heart out too taking your act to new levels..good luck. cool2

#457918 - 09/11/18 11:02 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]

Originally Posted By Dnj

Me too, as well as several others.
I'm using the XT Universal, but it's really not "a piece of cake' to make things shine.....
not even after all these years. shocked
Nowadays when Audiostyles are more common, EMC has became obsolete in many ways.
smoke

#457920 - 09/11/18 11:18 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
Originally Posted By Dnj

Me too, as well as several others.
I'm using the XT Universal, but it's really not "a piece of cake' to make things shine.....
not even after all these years. shocked
Nowadays when Audiostyles are more common, EMC has became obsolete in many ways.
smoke

Yep the time is NOW for manufacturers to make it a much easier feature on board arrangers to create your own custom styles...
the first one the does that will be the KING OF THE MOUNTAIN.....
Ketron is on the right track for sure....

#457934 - 09/11/18 01:41 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I normally play about 90 percent styles. When I do use SMF ( or audio tracks ) here’s a few reasons why that come to mind:

1. Two handed parts can be played, especially rootless and more complex extensions that aren’t typically recognized with auto accompaniment.

2. I use SMF for songs that have very important baselines, drum parts, breaks, or too many parts for me to comfortably cover.

3. Sometimes I cover songs that for the most part are in 4/4 timing but will have an odd time measure here or there. For example, the chorus of “ I Say a Little Prayer for You” has a 3/4 measure in the middle of a phrase.

4. I also play chromatic harmonica on some songs and to use both hands to do so.

5. Sometimes I run into a song where I can’t find a style that seems suitable.

6. Some songs have ritardando, accerando, or sudden dynamic changes which are hard to do with auto accompaniment.

If I had a keyboard with a chord sequencer, I’d probably use less backing tracks than I do now.

I do have a lot reasons why I generally use styles over SMF, but maybe we’ ll leave that for another thread?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#457940 - 09/11/18 05:29 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Donny: I’ve used them, but I usually buy the ones where they allow you to mix the track the way you want. Such as, removing lead guitar and lead vocal.

jingleman

#457941 - 09/11/18 05:45 PM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Here is a free program from Roland.. not sure about this site..

https://style-converter.software.informer.com/download/

#457956 - 09/12/18 12:01 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Torch Offline

I think vArranger makes a fantastic tool to make SMF backups.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#457959 - 09/12/18 01:39 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I use MIDI files sometimes with a live band when playing electronica style songs that have 3 or more keyboard parts. I either pick one of the keyboard parts to play live or play guitar.

#457963 - 09/12/18 05:57 AM Re: How many here use MIDI FILES and WHY? [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
I use MIDI files sometimes with a live band when playing electronica style songs that have 3 or more keyboard parts. I either pick one of the keyboard parts to play live or play guitar.

Exactly Nigel so many ways to use SMF they are very flexible..its all in your hands on what you want it to sound like using them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online