SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#457782 - 09/10/18 07:06 AM Modules should be the future of arrangers...
Dnj Offline

MODULES are Much more versatile and the mix and match with any
controller kb for all tastes is very kool too... cool2

Edited by Dnj (09/10/18 07:09 AM)

#457789 - 09/10/18 08:38 AM Re: Modules should be the future of arrangers... [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA

I would love to see some new modules in an affordable price range. I used an RA95 with a 61 note synth for awhile and a BK7M with a 61 note controller before the BK9 came out. Worked fine but then went to all in one keyboard. It would be nice to choose the controler you want for a particular job. Light 61 note for quick in/outs and a weighted 76 for others.

#457791 - 09/10/18 08:49 AM Re: Modules should be the future of arrangers... [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

cool2

Agreed!

#457801 - 09/10/18 10:28 AM Re: Modules should be the future of arrangers... [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Modules are a great option for pro players who like the feeling of a certain key bed, or want to add more sonic options to their setup.

The problem comes in for the home player or occasional party player. Messing with cables and midi channel assignments would probably be a nightmare.

I was hired by a local church to simplify their electronic keyboard setup. The local music store had sold them a module and a midi keyboard. Was a disaster. Even though the Music Minister was an excellent musician and played a huge pipe organ...midi cables and the complexity of setup was to intimidating. We simplified the situation with one single synth.

With the advent of Korg’s EK50...it would appear the simplicity of an all in one arranger keyboard is alive and well. MHO.

jingleman

Edited by jingleman (09/10/18 10:29 AM)

#457802 - 09/10/18 10:32 AM Re: Modules should be the future of arrangers... [Re: jingleman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Modules are a great option for pro players who like the feeling of a certain key bed, or want to add more sonic options to their setup.

The problem comes in for the home player or occasional party player. Messing with cables and midi channel assignments would probably be a nightmare.

I was hired by a local church to simplify their electronic keyboard setup. The local music store had sold them a module and a midi keyboard. Was a disaster. Even though the Music Minister was an excellent musician and played a huge pipe organ...midi cables and the complexity of setup was to intimidating. We simplified the situation with one single synth.

With the advent of Korg’s EK50...it would appear the simplicity of an all in one arranger keyboard is alive and well. MHO.

jingleman

Usually the complexity and difficulty setup usage etc,
is caused by Human error......
when understood properly it's very easy. cool2

#457803 - 09/10/18 10:34 AM Re: Modules should be the future of arrangers... [Re: Dnj]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Friends, anybody here who can lead me to an individual or a shop who converts AKB into modules? I need to convert my PA1000 into a module and just don't have the audacity to do that.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#457805 - 09/10/18 10:48 AM Re: Modules should be the future of arrangers... [Re: Dnj]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Jim before you cut things up... I saw those photos on the thread about the Korg EK50. Are you sure you want that much "bulk?" With these conversions, it seems like much of the convenience/portability is lost.

The BK-7m (and the Ketron modules, if you're comfortable with a niche brand) are much smaller. Despite its compactness, the BK-7m has physical buttons for variations, fills, and one-touch settings. The new SD90 is a little larger. It also has a decent number of physical controls, while the SD40 makes do with a touch screen. (I'm not sure I would like that for triggering fills, etc., in real time; it might work fine but I haven't tried.)

IMO, arrangers are 85% software and 15% thoughtful ergonomics (although a good midi controller keyboard would have mappable sliders and pads for real-time use.) I agree that all the major brands should offer their MOTL, or even TOTL functionality in a compact module.

#457806 - 09/10/18 10:50 AM Re: Modules should be the future of arrangers... [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Most decent controllers have USB Midi (And sometimes audio) these days, so if you get a 2 in 1 Laptop with vArranger software, (You can also choose what sound software you want if the on-board system is not suitable) then it’s just 1 cable and whatever audio system you are using to get things up and running.

Most hardware/software these days come with templates, (Usually accessed via a wizard) so you just select a template and press a couple of keys on the controller to set things up, which means it is relatively straight forward. (Unlike the old days)

Bill

#457807 - 09/10/18 10:53 AM Re: Modules should be the future of arrangers... [Re: synerjim]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I tried to convince tech guy of praise band at church to go to hardware module with key controllers he purchased but he went right to software based he could control wirelessly (along with digital mixer) with iPad . They have a stage piano with a few sounds-strings,piano also. Now when he's on vacation or otherwise away, what does the keyboardist do if they don't have his iPad? Right now they play without those backing tracks or sounds until he gets back..a hardware module would eliminate the difference..but he's young, and today's youth is about software based everything..

#457808 - 09/10/18 11:10 AM Re: Modules should be the future of arrangers... [Re: Dnj]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Ted, I've been using Ketron modules (MJ, MJPro, SD40) for quite a while now and the MJPro is almost perfect for me, however there's some features on the Korg that I need (TC Helicon, more realtime buttons, etc). I travel locally and overseas once a while and I need a compact, portable rig that I can carry on with me on flights. I love the convenience of an all-in-one AKB but the weight and size is becoming issue for me plus the hassle of taking them on flights.
My main rig now is a Ketron MidJayPro and Nektar Impact 61 key controller. I'm a minimalist and had considered the BK-7m but you need to add an external vocal processor/harmonizer and external display to show lyrics.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online