SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#457752 - 09/09/18 05:13 PM Good news - bad news part 2
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The good news is that I'm still alive and kicking, just not kicking very high these days. The docs tell me that the new medications are doing a great job, though the cost is insanely high. As most everyone knows, I have been planning a trip south to the Florida Keys and Dry Tortugas for several months, where I hoped to spend the winter. All was good until today.

Now the bad news. Today, my loving wife of more than a half century, nearly fell to the kitchen floor. This is something I have feared for years, knowing that if this were to happen while I was gone, she could end up dying. Her health problems are numerous, and the most recent occurred this evening while cooking supper. Her feet and legs suddenly went numb and if I were not there to help her to a chair, she would have fallen and incurred severe injuries.

Because of this, I decided, reluctantly, that I would opt to spend the winter here in Maryland and store the boat on dry land for the winter. I have my own health issues as well and she is afraid that something catastrophic may happen while I'm sailing and she will not be there to hold my hand if and when I pass away.

So, I guess you folks will have to put up with me for the upcoming winter months, though I just might load up the car and head south to visit Don Mason and Eddie Shoemaker. The car still has a few miles left in it. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#457753 - 09/09/18 06:09 PM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Look after yourself, Gary...as you always say, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies."

Keep your stick on the ice. I'm rootin' for ya.

Ian

#457754 - 09/09/18 06:17 PM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Sorry to hear this Gary.... Hang in there buddy... You and Carol are the best...
Good luck.

#457755 - 09/09/18 06:22 PM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

Sorry to hear this Gary. Yeah, you'll miss the sunshine down south, but you'll spend the winter with the 'sunshine of your life' instead. Best of luck to you and the missus.

#457756 - 09/09/18 06:36 PM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm sorry to hear this because I know how much you were looking forward to going.
I'm also glad to hear, because we would worry about you and Carol all winter.
It's a wise decision and a noble one.
Sure hope you can drive down this way again.

#457761 - 09/09/18 08:40 PM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Life is often a minefield of disappointments, Gary... and you have tip-toed through them with style and grace... until now. When loved-ones are involved, we kick into protective mode... and you have made the right decision... from my limited perspective.

I would have worried about you on the "high seas" or even the inter-coastal waterway... but fate has warned you about her condition. The drive down to Louisiana might do both of you good... if both of you feel up to it. Somebody up there really likes you, my friend. All my best, ----Dave Rice

#457767 - 09/10/18 02:06 AM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Because of this, I decided, reluctantly, that I would opt to spend the winter here in Maryland and store the boat on dry land for the winter.

Very wise decision Gary.
To take good care of your beloved ones as well as yourself is a good rule #1.
Best wishes.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#457772 - 09/10/18 04:38 AM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary,

I agree with other comments, “you have made a wise decision.” Sorry to hear that you’ll be postponing the trip you were really looking forward to. The road trip may be an good alternative since you can take Carol with you, you’ll both be able to watch eachother in event of any more medical problems.

#457773 - 09/10/18 04:53 AM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Online   content

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Sorry to hear that Garry but I agree that you made a good choice. Maybe a alternative plan for a vacation down south would be good- perhaps a cruise, road trip or a flight. That way you both enjoy some time together in the warmer temperatures. If you make it to lLouisiana, Let me know and I could try to swing by.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#457781 - 09/10/18 07:02 AM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: montunoman]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Like the rest of the crew I pass on my concerns. I do understand your situation as I am almost in the same place with my wife. We change our daily plans and routines to take care of each other. If you're anythimg like me you need to be concerned as to how you will manage without your partner if she should go before you. But I also am concerned about what would happen to her if I should go b4 her. Damn, you're right Gary, Getting old ain't for sissies. hang in there Buddy.

#457783 - 09/10/18 07:23 AM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments and kind words.

All the best.
Gary

#457784 - 09/10/18 07:26 AM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary
Good decision. We all were thinking of your safety on a solo trip and now that you've added the factor of your wifes health it was a no brainer. You'll keep busy at home during those cold months and maybe a trip South would be good for both of you. Both of you be well and good luckk

#457793 - 09/10/18 08:52 AM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Sorry to hear about your wife’s health concerns, and having to cancel your trip. At least you’ll be able to continue sharing your wisdom with us on the zone. It’s always appreciated.

jingleman

#457794 - 09/10/18 08:53 AM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Gary....
If Florence makes things a little too windy up there....c'mon down. We are currently hurricane free. smile

#457799 - 09/10/18 10:18 AM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
A road trip down south is a good idea..making lemonade from lemons.

#457824 - 09/10/18 01:13 PM Re: Good news - bad news part 2 [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks, Ed, but I have to stay here and hurricane prep the boat for the storm surge, which I hope doesn't find it's way this far north. This usually involves doubling up on the mooring lines and lengthening them to accommodate any unusual rise in water level. It has been a lousy year for sailing here, lots of rainy days and many days with no wind, but lots of heat, humidity and horrendous air quality.

All the best,

Gary cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online