SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#457666 - 09/07/18 11:23 AM Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano
nckhrs Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Hi,

I have been searching for this, but I couldn't find it. I hope it's not redundant.

I was wondering, is there a soft pad or slow string voice that would decay like piano does? Or is there a way to make them do that? Or perhaps the way I play them are just wrong? eek

I remember when I used Piano String of the Kurzweil MicroPiano I didn't have string overlapping issue when I use my sustain pedal. With Roland BK-5 (and I believe it's not Roland specific), I couldn't find any good combination or voice that could do that. This led me to ask this question.

The only voices that decays like piano are only harp and guitar, but I need pad/string.

Thanks in advance.
'For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere' (Psalm 84:10, ESV)

Past: Roland (E-10, E-16, E-38), Korg i30s.
Current: Roland BK-5, Kurzweil MicroPiano.

#457667 - 09/07/18 11:50 AM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: nckhrs]
Dnj Offline

Talk to Fran Carango

#457668 - 09/07/18 02:12 PM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: nckhrs]
Bachus Offline

You can edit most voices this way... just by edditing the envellope (adsr)..

A bit more sustain, and a lot less release, in general will do the trick...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#457677 - 09/07/18 03:32 PM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: Dnj]
nckhrs Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Talk to Fran Carango

Thanks, I will PM him. smile
'For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere' (Psalm 84:10, ESV)

#457679 - 09/07/18 03:35 PM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: Bachus]
nckhrs Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
You can edit most voices this way... just by edditing the envellope (adsr)..

A bit more sustain, and a lot less release, in general will do the trick...

Thanks Bachus. Unfortunately I found that Roland BK-5 doesn't support tone editing... frown

#457682 - 09/07/18 06:25 PM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: nckhrs]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Hmm. Page 66 of the owners' manual seems to suggest that you can adjust Attack, Decay, and Release for the "real time" keyboard parts. Nothing about sustain, but depending on the base sample, the sustain may be determined by how long you hold the key (or how quickly you strike it.)

#457684 - 09/07/18 10:34 PM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: TedS]
Torch Offline

I know this doesn't address your question, but this is one of the reasons that I like working with VST plug-ins, which makes it very easy to do various things that would be hard on hardware.

I wonder if you can layer two voices in your hardware and control the strings/pads with an expression pedal.

Edited by Torch (09/07/18 10:36 PM)
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#457687 - 09/08/18 04:38 AM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: nckhrs]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
I’ve always liked Yamaha PSR keyboards for this reason – you can actually play piano with strings comfortably, using a pedal. Some other keyboards at least have an option to ignore the pedal for dual voices, but it’s not quite the same.

#457690 - 09/08/18 06:02 AM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: TedS]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
Hmm. Page 66 of the owners' manual seems to suggest that you can adjust Attack, Decay, and Release for the "real time" keyboard parts. Nothing about sustain, but depending on the base sample, the sustain may be determined by how long you hold the key (or how quickly you strike it.)

In general where the parameters attack, decay and release determine the time...

Thats where with sustain the parameter eddits the level as the time of sustain by default is set bu how long you hold the key...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#457921 - 09/11/18 11:18 AM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: TedS]
nckhrs Offline

Oh, thanks a lot Ted! How come I missed that page?????
Well, perhaps even when I read it I wouldn't know it rotfl
I need to get used to new arranger technology and advance editing features.

#457922 - 09/11/18 11:19 AM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: Torch]
nckhrs Offline

Originally Posted By Torch
I know this doesn't address your question, but this is one of the reasons that I like working with VST plug-ins, which makes it very easy to do various things that would be hard on hardware.

I wonder if you can layer two voices in your hardware and control the strings/pads with an expression pedal.

Wow, VST plug-ins looks great! I will explore it in the enar future. I will look into expression pedal control as well. Thanks a lot! smile

#457923 - 09/11/18 11:22 AM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: Kabinopus]
nckhrs Offline

Originally Posted By Kabinopus
I’ve always liked Yamaha PSR keyboards for this reason – you can actually play piano with strings comfortably, using a pedal. Some other keyboards at least have an option to ignore the pedal for dual voices, but it’s not quite the same.

Thanks! smile
The only thing that prevent me to go into Yamaha world is the keybed feel for Yamaha on my price range.

It's good to know that you can play with string comfortably.

Do you know if there is any keyboard that can apply pedal on selective voice layer?

#457924 - 09/11/18 11:24 AM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: Bachus]
nckhrs Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

In general where the parameters attack, decay and release determine the time...

Thats where with sustain the parameter eddits the level as the time of sustain by default is set bu how long you hold the key...

Great to know! Thanks a lot Bachus! I can't wait to play around with it.... woot

#457930 - 09/11/18 12:25 PM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: nckhrs]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I know the BK-5 lets you adjust which voices are affected by the sustain pedal. I think this is one of the first mid-priced arrangers from Roland that permit this fine level of control.

Yes explore the manual. Don't just skim it, actually sit down at the board and go through the menus. It's amazing what you'll discover, and you'll notice things that will make a huge difference in your musical results!

#457936 - 09/11/18 03:19 PM Re: Soft Pad or Slow String that decays like Piano [Re: TedS]
nckhrs Offline

I know the BK-5 lets you adjust which voices are affected by the sustain pedal. I think this is one of the first mid-priced arrangers from Roland that permit this fine level of control.

Yes explore the manual. Don't just skim it, actually sit down at the board and go through the menus. It's amazing what you'll discover, and you'll notice things that will make a huge difference in your musical results!

Yep...guilty as charge Your Honor, I just skimmed it grin
Thanks Ted, for sure I will go through it as you suggested. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online