SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#457367 - 09/02/18 10:07 PM my PA3x vs his Yamaha PSR-S775
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I went to another Festival tonight to hear the accordion player who I know and he is excellent. Plays with a guitarist and puts out a nice sound.

But he wasn't there tonight. The replacement was playing a MIDI accordion and a Yamaha arranger PSR-S775. I wasn't so much listening to his playing abilities but how he was making music using the two units...and to the overall sound he was putting out. Concentrating mostly on the Yamaha, I found the drums were not clear (the way I think drums should sound anyway) but real strong just like a live drummer. The bass cut right through all of it and kept everything moving. Then he played the horns and I saw glasses on the tables shattering.

Considering he was using only two small Samson speakers, it was BIG, to the point, people were putting their hands to their ears. I was very impressed with that Yamaha.

This is the first time ever I heard a modern arranger keyboard in this kind of a setting....hundreds of people and outdoors.

My primary thought quickly became: "I wonder if my PA3x would sound that big and powerful under the same circumstances....or....is it unique to Yamaha keyboards?"

Opinions?

#457369 - 09/02/18 11:59 PM Re: my PA3x vs his Yamaha PSR-S775 [Re: Mark79100]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
They are both great boards but the KORG is much more flexible and you can tweak the hell out of it in which the Yamaha you can not do
much, I had them all including the YAMAHA PSR-OR700 nothing beats a KORG overall in price and feature comparison.

#457382 - 09/03/18 08:34 AM Re: my PA3x vs his Yamaha PSR-S775 [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Vangelis, thanks for your reply. But I was thinking not so much about which keyboard is better. I'm still thinking this morning about the amount of sound I heard last night. It was an absolute "wall of sound." I actually could have closed my eyes and thought it was a band.

Up until now I see the arranger keyboard as successful in a cocktail lounge or small party. Certainly NOT as a whole band replacement in a large outdoor Festival. Had he remembered to use his "fill" button as a drummer does, and played more "instruments" (on the keyboard) that Yamaha would have sounded like the real deal.

So I went home thinking....if I can get that kind of a "thick" full sound out of my PA3x, it's time I start learning it.

Again....opinions from anyone?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online