SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#457221 - 08/31/18 01:33 PM Mesmerized ...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Been captivated all day with Aretha's Homegoing celebration. Some truly amazing performances, and heartfelt tributes. Gonna miss ya, girl. She was one of a kind.
frown

#457248 - 09/01/18 07:45 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Some great, some not so great... but they sent her away in style.

#457255 - 09/01/18 08:34 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I agree Dave (the Rice guy smile ). Some were great and some sounded like anything but a tribute, but more like an opportunity to put their own ego's on display. Oh well, just listen to the good stuff and tune out the bad (just like on SZ smile ). They did give it some monumental coverage though, at least on MSNBC and CNN. Since you saw it Uncle Dave, they must have shown some of it on Fox News as well....kidding, kidding, couldn't resist, the devil made me do it, I thought you were Gary, etc., etc. I PRE-apologize, I'll never do it again, etc., etc.

Just having a little fun. It WAS a great tribute and well deserved by a true American treasure. RIP Aretha.

chas

#457256 - 09/01/18 08:36 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
I PRE-apologize, I'll never do it again, etc., etc.
chas

Sure you will ... wink

And, yes RIP, Aretha ...

#457258 - 09/01/18 08:44 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Chas - (haha) I watched on You Tube, since I no longer have a TV subscription. smile
It started out weak, with a horrendous attempt at vocal riffs by Faith Hill, but got better after she left the stage. Stevie's "Lord's Prayer" was amazing towards the end. Maybe the best I've heard. I liked some performances a lot (His eye is on the sparrow - Ron Isley), and some ... not so much (Jen Hudson's Amazing Grace), but I was still drawn to the outpouring of emotion and love for this amazing woman. Up until the final Eulogy, it was all about the Queen. I think the minister who closed the ceremony went a bit off path, but you could tell he was sincere in his message. Aretha sure will be missed, as an artist, but more importantly, as a person. She made quite an impact on those who knew her, and it was touching to see the tributes.

#457261 - 09/01/18 08:55 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Well said Dave, especially Stevie's 'Lord's Prayer'. I haven't been so moved by a harmonica since he did 'Fingertips' as a 12 yr. old.

chas

#457263 - 09/01/18 09:08 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Well said Dave, especially Stevie's 'Lord's Prayer'. I haven't been so moved by a harmonica since he did 'Fingertips' as a 12 yr. old.

chas

Agreed. I think it's my favorite thing he's ever done. So soulful, so moving, and poignant. Best tribute of the night.

#457264 - 09/01/18 09:30 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Jennifer did it right for Areatha..Wow clap

Edited by Dnj (09/01/18 09:34 AM)

#457268 - 09/01/18 09:43 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

While I appreciated her power, and passion, I didn't like her phrasing. She cut off too many syllables, and disconnected the sentences. Words were choppy. At first, I thought she was running out of air, but she sustained many long tones, so I guess it was a creative choice. I just didn't care for it.

#457269 - 09/01/18 09:49 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

oh well dave who are we to judge right?....for ME best tribute of the whole show. She certainly moved alot of people including myself.

Edited by Dnj (09/01/18 09:50 AM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online