SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#457127 - 08/29/18 10:25 PM Russian music questions
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
A few weeks ago, after I played Those Were The Days (Mary Hopkins) someone in the audience said the song is German. I Googled and found out the original music was Russian before Paul McCartney got hold of it and cast Mary Hopkins into the spotlight.

Further exploration because I happen to like Russian music…….

What is the difference between Katyusha and Casatschok. Katyusha seems to repeat the same notes over and over while Casatschok has an additional chorus.

Why isn’t Dark Eyes (Black Eyes) listed in the Top Ten Russian songs?

What other Russian songs became big English hits? I was real surprised to read TWTD was originally “a Russian folk song about a girl named Katyusha singing a song while her love fights in the war.“

#457139 - 08/30/18 06:29 AM Re: Russian music questions [Re: Mark79100]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Thanks, Mark:

I needed that to help me wake up after a long and sleepless night, LOL... now I'm needing at least two more cups of coffee. These folks (the cast supporting Katyusha) seem to be enjoying themselves.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any Russian songs that became popular in the West but maybe there was one called, "Ride, Russian, Ride"... back in WWII and it got some airplay over here in the "States." Sorry, no video.

Thanks for sharing, ----Dave

#457167 - 08/30/18 12:05 PM Re: Russian music questions [Re: Riceroni9]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
in the 1960's Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen had a hit in the UK with "midnight in Moscow " I believe the melody was from an old Russian tune …...and it's still a good tune . I still play it from time to time !!
regards …...Giovanni

#457168 - 08/30/18 12:19 PM Re: Russian music questions [Re: Giovanni]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Regarding Mary Hopkins a pretty young welsh singer appeared on the Uk Talent contest called opportunity Knocks compered by Hughie Green ..
Paul Macartney of the beatles !!! saw her on the show and within a few weeks he had arranged a record contract and she had a big hit with the song "Those were the Days "....she also had success with some other hits ..but her biggest success was those were the days .
I've seen the song performed in cabaret type shows many times here in the Uk and this song actually touches the heart of the audience they sing and clap in time with the music ...it really touches the spot !!! so to speak .

regards ...Giovanni

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online