SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#456796 - 08/24/18 02:26 PM Re: Boredom of a style [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
My favorite way to use styles is a little different from what I am reading here.. smile

Like Bill says , don't let the style dominate..

I believe less is better... where it seems that the majority like to load up a style using pads and everything possible.. I would find this unsatisfactory. grin

I like to simplify the style and have a consistent band same players for all songs..
I like to use bass and drums and maybe a rhythm guitar in the style .. and add color on my right hand.. organ, sax, etc.

And I want to keep my option to cut accompaniment, just drums and play left hand bass in spots , then back into the basic style again..

This is not boring at all because you are controlling the style... the style does not control you smile and you are making it your own with live play interaction. wink

Fran that's fine for a nursing home or cocktail hr
...but it ain't gonna fill a pumping dance floor sorry at bigger venues .. coffee

Edited by Dnj (08/24/18 02:27 PM)

#456797 - 08/24/18 02:28 PM Re: Boredom of a style [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

My favorite way to use styles is a little different from what I am reading here.. smile

I believe less is better... where it seems that the majority like to load up a style using pads and everything possible.. I would find this unsatisfactory. grin

I like to simplify the style and have a consistent band same players for all songs..
I like to use bass and drums and maybe a rhythm guitar in the style .. and add color on my right hand.. organ, sax, etc.

And I want to keep my option to cut accompaniment, just drums and play left hand bass in spots , then back into the basic style again..

This is not boring at all because you are controlling the style... the style does not control you smile and you are making it your own with live play interaction. wink

Often less is better, pads are not used to add more ... they are used to add difference...
For example.. you can have under one pad a booming bass beat... which turns the current style into a more modern dance version on the fly...

Or you could have 4 different strum patterns on the pads, and vary with them on top of a simple drum and bass style...

Another option is to add a riff to a pad, which can be used as single shot to give a little variation..

This gives a lot of playroom while still keeping the style simple...

And then there is an option with kaos or the live knobs from the yamaha’s to start the style with just drums and then bass, and use the knob to add one or 2 more tracks to the style when needed...

Yes less is more, but its good there are 8 tracks in every style, when you them...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#456801 - 08/24/18 02:39 PM Re: Boredom of a style [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Bacchus most here never use or know how to use KAOSS and have no need to.....just my guess?

Edited by Dnj (08/24/18 02:40 PM)

#456809 - 08/24/18 04:00 PM Re: Boredom of a style [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Fran that's fine for a nursing home or cocktail hr
...but it ain't gonna fill a pumping dance floor sorry at bigger venues .. coffee

Sure it will fill up any dance floor.. Bass and drums drives a dance floor.. not all the clutter that you think does the job.. grin

If you can play left hand bass... that and drums will do the trick smile

You are still playing color sounds in your right hand... like organ, brass, synth..

Don't be mislead by gimmick pads and over busy styles.. they add nothing to a dance floor.. shocked

#456811 - 08/24/18 04:10 PM Re: Boredom of a style [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Bacchus most here never use or know how to use KAOSS and have no need to.....just my guess?

Automated electronic noise... Arpeggios, portomento, and repetive drum loops.... Useless to me ..so far from even being considered as music.. grin

Just play the recordings... still stinks , but you don't get blamed for the fake noise eek

Kaoss.. nothing new... Media Station had it 10 years ago..

Code 61 controller also has it with better routing to useable functions.. smile

Today's music is at an all time low... Time to force some changes... I won't listen do it let alone .. play it laugh

Edited by Fran Carango (08/24/18 04:14 PM)

#456816 - 08/24/18 05:18 PM Re: Boredom of a style [Re: bruno123]
Fran Carango Offline

https://app.box.com/s/4epodrgqd05dquorfvthbppxzv0c2suc

Example… synth bass, hip hop drums, and EP.. Basic, you add the color sounds like synth, brass etc..

I filled dance floor 100's of times with this simple groove..

#456819 - 08/24/18 06:04 PM Re: Boredom of a style [Re: Bachus]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I do load style, Pads, and instruments before I start to play. But they are never played together. I might add more as I approach my last chorus.

Ex. Just drums and bass – I add (pads) finger snaps and possibly some soft strings playing lines. My left hand always ready to add. Now I can sing with freedom.

Playing an ending or an intro for a break.
Adding (pad) bass drum to increase the drive toward the end of a song.
The possibilities are endless.

I learned most of what I know by playing with a 5 piece band for many years. Musicians have to know when not to play.

Bachus, you understood my post, thank you.
No ego here, just love of good music, John C.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online