SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#456293 - 08/16/18 05:07 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: zuki]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Jim, you need to add stand-up to your act. Stand-up, guitar and a tubby little "straight man" from Kentucky.

Be well,

R.

#456294 - 08/16/18 05:22 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ, I agree , I thought Chaka was less than average as a Pro singer.. smile

I knew that was not Jones but could not find any credits..

My point was Quincy was sharing a stage with less than stellar talent..

I could not sit through an hour set of Rachelle's style... just as you would not sit thru a country show grin

My idea of good jazz.. is a Jazz guitar that takes an old standard and uses tasty chords and fills..... not a player playing fast scales and burying the melody... and as for a singer... there are many more I would prefer...

It's a matter of taste and what lights our fire.. smile

No offense intended... you were just wrong this time grin

Just kidding shocked

#456296 - 08/16/18 05:57 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA

#456304 - 08/16/18 07:05 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Is that Chas. Russ or Donny playing the piano... I didn't notice a sustain pedal so I thought it was Donny... But it sound more like Chas's detail work.. and I never heard Russ play any keys yet.. grin

#456309 - 08/16/18 08:05 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: DonM]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By DonM

There is a part II. I laughed so hard I don't think my pants are ever going to dry.
smile smile smile

Eddie

#456323 - 08/17/18 05:31 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

it dosn't matter what you play in your bedroom no one can hear it anyway......
that said enjoy what ever you play till the end.

#456366 - 08/17/18 10:54 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Fran, first, I appreciate this interchange. It's great to disagree, but acknowledge another's right to his/her own opinion.

I especially like the little, "I'm right" reference.

As far as keys go, Don posted an 8 minute film score years ago. I redid that score with different instrumentation (all string instruments) and had them posted back to back.

The first score for an international vehicle manufacturer was all me on keys, with "sweetening" by a horn player. I did go back and add strings, but the version posted was the final rough before production; all on keys and all me.

I won't bore everyone with another post, but Don may be able to find it and send it to you, if interested.

Be well,

Russ

BTW, there was a neat reference to "running chords". That's what old time horn, piano and guitar players often do. I've played many times where I really wasn't comfortable with the melody when it was time for a solo, but was able to limp along
just "runnin the changes". Ya gotta be careful; somebody might figure out that you don't really know the damn tune.

LOVE YA, RACHELLE!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (08/17/18 11:16 AM)

#456593 - 08/20/18 10:28 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Looked at this post again, and realized that the negative responses were all about vocal quality and diction.

My attraction is structure, innovation...lots of stuff that are not necessarily what most people think of when evaluating music.

Some jazz is not pleasant to listen to. I hear chord inversions, not notes. Structure is more important, in most cases than lyrics.

Jazz is an acquired taste. I sat with Ella, played with her, and she'd love Rachelle.

Rachelle has some early singles you folks would probably like...BORING!Look up "Til You Come Back To Me".

We are not talking apples to apples, and that's OK. Remember, this is from a guy who can't stand Elvis and thought that Mel Torme and Billy Extine made Frank Sinatra sound like a rank amateur.

I STILL LOVE RACHELLE, so there!

Russ (tone deaf) Lay

Actually, the only others here I think would appreciate this form and talent would be Chas, Boo...maybe Uncle D and possible Nigel.

Edited by captain Russ (08/20/18 10:47 AM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online