SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#456170 - 08/14/18 04:54 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: bruno123]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
After my vocal the sax started his impro solo. He was good. He suddenly turned to me and said, “What song are we playing”.

Now THAT is funny. I admit I like some semblance of recognizable melody in my jazz.

Eddie

#456261 - 08/16/18 09:24 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Quincy, George and Toots, undeniably the finest in their respective categories, would not be on stage with any person of questionable credentials.

She is at the heavy end of the female jazz interpreters and is universally recognized as one of the best in the world.

If I were the only one who had such a high opinion of her, I'd question my judgement.

I'm not. To me, she is fabulous; just not quite right for the nursing home circuit.

Frankly, I'm really surprised at the reaction of the folks here.

But you certainly have the right to your opinion. I just think you're missing out on the enjoyment of a premier, world-class talent, appreciated by legions of jazz fans around the world.

Be well,

Russ (evidently, tone deaf) Lay

The list of top vocalists was partially based on sales. In terms of talent this lady; to me, it at the top of the heap.

Edited by captain Russ (08/16/18 10:16 AM)

#456268 - 08/16/18 10:26 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ, her vocals have nothing to do with the nursing home circuit or any other circuit, for that matter. Her diction is just horrible by any measure. Not too many years ago, this type of diction, where consonants are omitted or unintelligible, was known as "Lazy Speech" while others termed it "Acceptable Slang." When 9 out of 10 respondents or listeners cannot understand a single word of the song she is singing, there is definitely something wrong. I know my hearing is shot to hell, so I listened to the song again using headphones and I still could not understand what she was singing.

Sorry old friend, but it's not just my opinion, many others on this forum feel the same.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#456276 - 08/16/18 12:31 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]

I guess I need to email George Benson and tell him the bad news....he's TONE DEAF!

Before he passed, George Duke said Rochelle was the best female vocalist of the modern jazz era. Guess he didn't know what he was talking about, either.

Spend a 1/2 hour LISTENING! Hopefully, you'll see what the top people in the music field see.

She's a world-class Berklee School of Music graduate and a nationally recognized pianist and arranger, too.

I really value the opinions of many here, but in this case, I'll side with the majority of the internationally recognized jazz music pros.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (08/16/18 12:32 PM)

#456277 - 08/16/18 01:52 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Quincy is on stage with her and I didn't even know she sang in English smile

#456278 - 08/16/18 01:56 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Wow Chaka Kahn is so Amazing!

thanx Fran for posting this..

#456279 - 08/16/18 01:56 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Here Quincy singing the same song... How about that I understand every word even with the vocal movement.. smile

#456280 - 08/16/18 03:01 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: Fran Carango]

You know that's not Quincy singing. He's the rare producer that gets cover credits, but the singer is someone like Pebo Bryson (Just Once) or the like.

This is a studio recording. The other piece is live.
This is "straight ahead" melody, which I find nice but boring.

If you don't like Rachelle, it's your loss. Enough of us do to give her a satisfying, lucrative career many here would probably like to have.

And she earns it, in my opinion. Just looks like she sings "over the heads" of some folks here. Shaka and the dude who sang with her were embarrassingly average, in my opinion.

Oh well, it's your loss.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (08/16/18 03:18 PM)

#456286 - 08/16/18 04:30 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good find, Fran, and you just reinforced my beliefs.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#456289 - 08/16/18 04:48 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
zuki Offline

I think it was the braces smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online