SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#456139 - 08/13/18 06:25 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Sorry Russ.... Ella Fitz could have sung circles around her, imo.
Eddie

#456140 - 08/13/18 06:29 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By captain Russ
Ask real jazzers about Rachelle. In my opinion, one of the best jazz singers of all time.

An elite talent recognized world-wide.I'm really surprised at this response. To me very few female singers can even hold her mic.

R.

Russ I based my comment on that video... and the distorted facial views were scary grin

My bet... she couldn't hold a mic for the ladies Gary mentioned.. smile

I will check her out a little more... as long as it is not the same as that video. shocked

#456142 - 08/13/18 08:31 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Obviously this is a situation of "different strokes for different folks" ... Ms. Ferrell has garnered accolades from the jazz world, but her vocal style is not to my taste ... I have a problem with vocalists - and even instrumentalists who try to put every note of the scale into every musical phrase ... and as for facial expressions or other 'gyrations', they also bother me ... I always found it difficult to watch Jim Nabors and Celine Dion (in fact, I don't even like her singing) ...
But, like everything in the world, it's all a matter of PERSONAL preference ...
JMHO

#456151 - 08/14/18 05:54 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
I see both sides here. As a country music fan, I am not really qualified to judge, but like everyone I have an opinion anyway. Obviously, she is an excellent vocalist, not my preference-I like Diana Krall's type of jazz myself when I listen to it. But since she is performing with George Benson, I think this is more about showing off her "chops" than it is about making sure the lyrics are enunciated correctly.

#456158 - 08/14/18 09:12 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thoughtful posts. If you're not into jazz, I can see why you wouldn't like this. I like all vocalists mentioned, including Diana Krall. Ella had just divorced Ray Brown when I was in California and helped me with chord inversions.

She isn't a commercial talent at all, but if you check out her credentials, you will find that she is a world-recognized talent.

Responses have been personal preferences, and that's the way it should be. Jazz elitism will NOT raise it's nasty little head here.

Just check her out and look at her world-wide accolades.

She is one of my top two female vocalists of all time.

And this performance with George, Toots, Quincy and Rochelle really is why I do what I do.

It may also be why I make most of my money playing for a recording machine and not live audiences....YA THINK? (LOL).

Be well, all.

Russ

P.S.
There are other niche performers. Check out Leanne La Havas. Much more commercial appeal, but not for everyone.

#456159 - 08/14/18 09:18 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By captain Russ

Russ

P.S.
There are other niche performers. Check out Leanne La Havas. Much more commercial appeal, but not for everyone.

#456162 - 08/14/18 11:50 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good find, Donny. Now this young lady enunciates with perfect clarity, her voice is crisp, clear, distinct, very smooth, perfect pitch and a very enjoyable listen. That's what I'm talkin' about! smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#456165 - 08/14/18 02:17 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Nice. Liked the guitar and everything about the singing except the vocal gymnastics at the very end.
Eddie

#456166 - 08/14/18 02:34 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I am from the old school where you each note of the song was sung with a few variations. As the years pass musicians and singers began to add more and more to a song until it was no longer the song.

This is acceptable if you listen with a Jazz ear. Musicians added more scale and scales modes. My preference is to add notes and scales without losing too much of the melody. It was a dance in a New York hotel, about 175 people. We had a drums, sax, bass, a portable B3 organ, and myself on guitar. The sing, Witchcraft in F. The sax who was real good took his improvised solo. I think he was playing over the chords. We went into the second song, same key and tempo. After my vocal the sax started his impro solo. He was good. He suddenly turned to me and said, “What song are we playing”.

At the Sands hotel in Vegas – Ethel Merman (Spelling) was singing – Sinatra was in the next room. I’ll never forget his choice of words. “Hey, who’s yellen’?” I love it.

All music has its place, John C.

#456168 - 08/14/18 03:24 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
I've got to say I was a little concerned about criticizing the vocal that a respected member was praising. I was gratified to see that I was not alone in my opinion. Don't mean to start a war
BUT...

Now, I've got to say I have always considered myself a jazzer. Maybe not a great one but a jazzer nether the less. Spent 20 years playing and arranging big band jazz charts in the Army b4 retiring in 1992. I must also admit that their where many jazz 'artists' I wouldn't walk across the street to hear. Playing a string of notes from some obscure scale as fast as you can never seemed very musical to me. favorite Jazz artists, Charlie Byrd, Guitar, Pete Fountain, clarinet, and Jimmy Smith, organ.

Now, I gotta admit I'm heavy into country, but thats a whole nother story.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online