SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#455946 - 08/10/18 03:58 PM This is what it's all about!
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Been a little bored lately, wondering why I do what I do.

Then, I ran across "Everything Must Change" , featuring George Benson and Rachelle Ferrell, with Toots Thielman on harmonica.

Quincey directed the orchestra, in this live performance.

This is what it's all about.

Russ

#455967 - 08/11/18 06:00 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

#456032 - 08/12/18 02:47 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am no Toots Thielman but have begun incorporating harmonica into my shows(4:00 on video). I have a collection of Blues, Diatonic, solo tuned, and chromatic harps. I can read, but have always been able to play anything on the harmonica I know in my head, without music. I have to go over the accidentals a couple of times, however. I thought the harmonica to be below me, through the years, until I began using it sparingly. I was surprised by the positive reaction, but shouldn't have been, since I brought my valve trombone to the clubs, along with my B3 and 122R. Oh what fun(usually).

#456098 - 08/12/18 02:47 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: Dnj]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Why is this so great? I can't recognize any of the words that are being sung. Great sound but diction is impossible for me to hear. Is my hearing going out that bad?

#456122 - 08/13/18 09:38 AM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: ekurburski]

Structure, superior musicianship, outstanding arrangement, top shelf vocals, and QUINCEY!

To an old "jazzer" this is about as good as it gets.

What do you think is better and why? Diction is fine to me, but I know it is a live event, and know the song well.

Try playing it live, take a close look at the lyrics and then see what you think.

Toots is phenomenal on this. Stevie also blows me away. Had the good fortune to play with him many years ago.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (08/13/18 09:40 AM)

#456133 - 08/13/18 03:22 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gotta agree with Earl - I couldn't understand a word they sang and that was using headphones. They may be great musicians Russ, but the two singers were just plain awful, IMO.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#456134 - 08/13/18 03:37 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Gotta agree with Earl - I couldn't understand a word they sang and that was using headphones. They may be great musicians Russ, but the two singers were just plain awful, IMO.

Gary cool

Me Too!!!! They want to treat their voice as an acoustic instrument and failed big time.. George can sing when he wants to, but the lady just plain can not sing a lick grin

I want to hear from other jazzers that think that was presentable.. Russ you drinking Gary's brew.. smile

Edited by Fran Carango (08/13/18 03:39 PM)

#456135 - 08/13/18 04:11 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

coffee

#456136 - 08/13/18 04:35 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: Dnj]

Ask real jazzers about Rachelle. In my opinion, one of the best jazz singers of all time.

An elite talent recognized world-wide.I'm really surprised at this response. To me very few female singers can even hold her mic.

R.

#456138 - 08/13/18 06:22 PM Re: This is what it's all about! [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sorry to disagree with you on this subject, Russ, but I sincerely believe that diction is a major component of singing. As for not being able to hold her mic, how about Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughn, Nina Simmons, Diana Krall, Diana Washington, Betty Carter, Peggy Lee and Carmen McRae? I can clearly understand every word of ever song those ladies performed. She doesn't even make it into the Top 25 List of Best Jazz Singers. https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/best-female-jazz-singers-ever/

When I was visiting Nashville I came across a lady that had a school where she taught diction to singers, and she instructed many of the greatest singers of our time during the past 30 years. She had an ad in one of the local musical entertainer magazines, and her school was booked to capacity with a two year waiting list.

Thirty years ago, when I was an aspiring singer, I thought I sounded pretty damned good, but my wife convinced me to take a course at the local community college where she worked. The course was called "Voice And Articulation" and was taught by a local jazz singer. She had an incredible voice, and she was an excellent instructor. She placed a lot of emphasis on articulation and vocal control, which is why she, and many of her students, were very successful. I'm not bragging, but I sincerely believe that I would not have been nearly as successful without her tutelage. My wife agrees wholeheartedly. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (08/13/18 06:23 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online