SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#455558 - 08/01/18 01:36 PM Re: Yamaha DGX-660 88-key Arranger Piano Review [Re: Dnj]
Kabinopus Online   content

Loc: Russia
As I see it, the DGX is designed in the way that people who are uncomfortable with lots of features won’t be scared of this instrument. As the result, you can’t even choose which part of the accompaniment to mute. Casio’s rival, px-560, seems better at this aspect, but a person tries both of them at store and says “well, there’s just something is missing in the sound of the Casio which is presented in the sound of Yamaha, so I’ll go with Yamaha”.

#455561 - 08/01/18 02:53 PM Re: Yamaha DGX-660 88-key Arranger Piano Review [Re: FransN]
Kabinopus Online   content

Loc: Russia
Originally Posted By FransN
You need to compare the dgx with the Casio px360 not with the px560. To me the Casio sound much better but hey that’s why i have one.

Personally I'd be happier if Casio was a winner in this fight, because I want some variety and I like the idea of PX360/560 very much.

But even the author of this video, the man who plays this instrument, in comments says that DGX's sound has more "truth" in it, although PX has a better keybed.

#455568 - 08/01/18 09:45 PM Re: Yamaha DGX-660 88-key Arranger Piano Review [Re: FransN]
Bachus Offline

You need to compare the dgx with the Casio px360 not with the px560.

Why?

Pricewise the Yamaha is in the middle of the 2 Casio's. And the only difference between the 560 and the 360 is 20 more rhythms and 20% more sounds?

Soundwise it does not matter to what Casio you compare as they sound identical and definitely require some external amplification or headphones(as does the Yamaha)

feature wise, the only difference is in the polyphony 256 vs 128, but does that really matter to most? i never hear my pa4x that is 128 notes drop any notes, not even when playing piano with a lot of damper.

But seeing the price difference between the 360 and 560 is less then 15% (what you actually pay at Bax-shop or Thomann) there is not much reason to not buy the 560.

To me the best contender in this market is still the Havian. As its the only one that has the same sound and style engine as the higher end products. its a little more expensive, but since prices have dropped, not that much. And there is supposed to be a new Havian 70 on the way, based on the PA 700.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#455584 - 08/02/18 07:40 AM Re: Yamaha DGX-660 88-key Arranger Piano Review [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Frans, px5-s is not the little brother of the px-560

Its the older big brother
With full masterkeyboard capabilities
And lots of arpegiator and stepsequencing features
And other profeatures not on the px-560

The only thing it kinda misses is the high end interface of the newer px- instruments.

#455586 - 08/02/18 07:57 AM Re: Yamaha DGX-660 88-key Arranger Piano Review [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I think CASIO needs a major name "REBRANDING" for the instrument line.....
many musicians will always see them as a low cost toy or sub par true or not compared to
Yamaha, KORG, Roland, Nord, Kawai, etc, and stay away .....

#455591 - 08/02/18 08:52 AM Re: Yamaha DGX-660 88-key Arranger Piano Review [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
many musicians will always see them as a low cost toy or sub par true or not compared to

It could work, as it did for toyota and the Lexus.
But would require considerable amounts of money to give the new brand so e recognition.

#455597 - 08/02/18 10:38 AM Re: Yamaha DGX-660 88-key Arranger Piano Review [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

I agree. But not the entire line. As Bachus suggests, just rebrand the 'PRO' line.

chas

#455601 - 08/02/18 12:14 PM Re: Yamaha DGX-660 88-key Arranger Piano Review [Re: FransN]
Bachus Offline

The px560 is the top model of the serie. Here are the differences between the 2 models
https://casiomusicgear.wordpress.com/2016/01/11/the-definitive-px-5s-vs-px-560-comparison/

Thats not what i read...

The px-5s has all the pro features
The 560 has more home player features

This is what the px-5s offers above the px560, and what makes it the choice for people to use on stage..

4 Zones no rules: The PX-5S 4 Zones can overlap, be velocity switched or you could have 3 separate split points between the four zones. Turning zones on/off for layers is very easy but setting up split points does take a few more steps but it is much more flexible.

MIDI Control: The PX-5S is a full fledged controller that can send bank/program changes to external gear. Even the USB MIDI and Standard MIDI ports are independent – A Casio exclusive feature.

4 Knobs, 6 Sliders. The PX-5S has a many more front panel controls for real-time control over your sounds. The PX-560 only has 3 knobs.

DSP Effects: The PX-5S has the advantage here as each of your 4 parts (zones) have a DSP (insert) effect available. The PX-560 only allows 1 DSP effect for your 4 primary parts. An additional DSP effect is dedicated to an accompaniment part.

Stage Setting concept is unique to the PX-5S. It not only contains everything for each of your 4 zones but it contains the tones and everything that makes up this “Performance Ready” Stage Setting. That also makes them very easy to share with others. The PX-560 has “Registrations” which remember splits, layers and volumes but it simply references the locations of the tones used

4 Simultaneous Programmable Arpeggiators: We’re getting into an area that is far outside a traditional Stage Piano but this is an important design aspect of the PX-5S that can be used to create a variety of sounds and textures. There is a single preset arpeggiator on the PX-560.

Battery Powered: The PX-5S can run on AA batteries for about 4 hours. Think of it as having a built-in UPS power supply

Computer Editor: The PX-5S doesn’t have a touch screen but it does allow full editing from a computer. It is easy to set up your Stage Settings in advance of your performance.

The 560, has an arranger engine to compansate for the missing things from the px-5s. Indicating its more aimed at home players... pro musicians using arrangers are more rule then exceptions...

This makes the px-5s still top of the line...

Edited by Bachus (08/02/18 12:24 PM)

#455610 - 08/02/18 09:05 PM Re: Yamaha DGX-660 88-key Arranger Piano Review [Re: FransN]
Bachus Offline

I am not saying that the px560 is more pro it is just the top of the line and the most expensive.

At Bax-shop, the adviced pricetag is 1250 for the 5S PRO and 1199 for the 560. the 5S is the only Casio Privia with the PRO tag. And an S (from stage) these 2 keyboards arent even in the same league.

The 5S is a Pro Stage keyboard...
The 560 is a Home arranger piano...

We should stop comparing them, we also don't compare the DGX with the CP4.. because thats how big the difference is between these 3 keyboards.

Yet, the quallity of the soundset (strong in Synth, piano, DP, strings, organs) is still much more suited for a Stage piano... then for an arranger engine (weak in brass, winds, sax, guitars and other acoustic instruments).. And not thats in this case not just my opinion, its backed up by all reviews i have read on the sound engine of the Casio.
Maybe thats why you keep naming them both as in the same league, because they both are strong in the piano and keyboards division. Maybe even close to the Havian from Korg. But they loose the 560 looses much of its color when it comes to the arranger part. Where the Havian 30 has the propreity Korg arranger engine.

Edited by Bachus (08/02/18 09:21 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online