Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#45544 - 10/15/05 09:32 PM CD-R to SD Card
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hi all,

OK I need a little advise please.

I recieved a gift of 1200 midi files on a CD-R. I would like to transfer these files to an SD Card via my PC. Among these midi(.mid) files are karaoke(.kar)

I could use suggestions on the easiest way to transfer these files to an SD Card for playing on the KN7000.

Also is there any way to sperate the .kar files from the .mid files, without having to check all 1200 files? (The .kar files need to be changed to .mid files to play on the keyboard)

Right now, this seems like a major project, as the total amount of files is 160MB. I'm looking for any tips to help make it a little easier project.

Thanks,
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45545 - 10/16/05 03:10 AM Re: CD-R to SD Card
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Larry
I am embarking on a similar project,and find that most of the tunes I have are not worth keeping. Wheras, they are commercial files, they are the wrong genre for me, or too obscure.

As I see it, there is nothing gained by loading hundreds of songs on a SD card. I would think it better to bite the bullet and audition the ones likely to be used, and transer them in Technics format in the proper files.

The ones I audition load to my notation program(MidiNotate), and then saved as midi to be loaded to the KN. This way the Karaoke files display the lyrics on the keyboard.

Just my opinion.
Bernie

#45546 - 10/16/05 05:19 AM Re: CD-R to SD Card
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Use Bulk Rename, at, http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php this will rename all at one go. Walter.

#45547 - 10/16/05 11:07 AM Re: CD-R to SD Card
lahawk Offline

Hi Bernie,
You're right, there are many songs on the disk that are not my type, but I wanted to put them all on an SD Card and give a return gift to someone else.
--------------------------------------------

Hi Walter,
Thanks for the batch convert link.
I'm not sure if I can use it however, as it may just change the name .kar to .mid which is fine, if you don't want to keep the lyrics.

I don't have MidiNotate, so I'll need to find a similar program to convert .kar to .mid and keep the lyrics intact.

Thanks again
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45548 - 10/16/05 11:22 AM Re: CD-R to SD Card
lahawk Offline

Hi it's me Larry again...

Will this work for what I'm, trying to do?
(transfer midis from CD-r to SD card):

technicsplayer
Member posted 10-11-2005 07:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here's a method that's free:
Save one file on the 7k (anything - eg initial condition) on a blank SD anywhere in the first folder.
Transfer to pc, follow the path Private, Technics, Kn7000, erase the inf and bak files there.
Open Tfld001 erase the contents.
If you want any more folders, you can create Tfld002, 003, etc etc now.
Copy your previous contents into each folder following the normal numbering convention, eg if they are floppy disks the contents are already 1-10 or 1-20 without numbering duplications.
Transfer to 7k, each folder will show its contents with the floppy file names ready for load.
Once you save anything on the 7k this method can no longer be used.

You can buy programs like SDExplorer to make an sd structure which work reasonably well with easier renaming etc and copy/delete/transfer on existing saved cards, but for a blank card this gets you going.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45549 - 10/16/05 11:50 AM Re: CD-R to SD Card
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Larry
Perhaps it would ,but it wouldn't solve the Kar to .mid conversion.

#45550 - 10/16/05 12:50 PM Re: CD-R to SD Card
Sapphire Offline

Loc: Benfleet, Essex. UK
Hi Larry

to convert .kar files to .mid files without losing the lyrics you need the freeware converter called kar2mid. I have taken the liberty of e-mailing it straight to you.

It is capable of bulk conversion. Hope it helps.

Alan

[This message has been edited by Sapphire (edited 10-16-2005).]

#45551 - 10/16/05 02:08 PM Re: CD-R to SD Card
lahawk Offline

Thanks Alan,
It's just what the doctor ordered.
Now I have some work to do...):

Is there a way to view karoke files seperate from midi files in Windows Explorer?

I use Van Basco as the default player for karoake and midi files and viewing these files in Explorer, it does not show the file type. Just the Icon and ALL of them state midi file sequence when moused over, but when played with VanBasco some show .kar, some show .mid So I have to open, and play the file to see what it is. That's very time consuming.

I thought I found a way around this by inserting the CD-R, and from the start menu used search (D-Drive) and entered .kar or .mid. The search displays only .kar or .mid..great!... but from there I can't copy these files, so I'm still seeking a way to seperate .kar from .mid when they are all mixed together on one disk.

All this could have been avoided if Technics included .kar files as part of their format? I wonder why...Yamaha does.

Oh well, we can't have everything I suppose.
But this is turning into a major project, and I'm having second thoughts.

Regards,
Larry

sidebar: Why Sapphire as a username?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45552 - 10/16/05 03:06 PM Re: CD-R to SD Card
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Larry,
It may be that your Windows Explorer is not configured to show the file extensions of 'common' file types. Try this : Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > Click on the View Tab. In the 'Folder Options' 'View' Tab window, look for an entry 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Make sure that it is not ticked. If it is, 'Untick' it and then click on 'Apply' and 'OK'.
Now when you use Windows Explorer, you should be able to see the .KAR or .MID file extensions.

To group all the .MID files together and all the .KAR files together, just click on the 'Type' heading in Windows Explorer. You will then see all files with the same extension, grouped together. If you then wish to copy all the .MID files from the CD into another folder on your PC and all the .KAR files to a different folder on your PC, then you can easily block select them by clicking on the First file of the group, move the mouse cursor to the Last file in the group, hold down the Shift key and click on the Last file in the Group. You can then Copy and Paste all the highlighted files from the CD to a new folder on your PC. It is best to create the new folders, before doing the Copy/Paste operation.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#45553 - 10/16/05 04:19 PM Re: CD-R to SD Card
lahawk Offline

Thanks Will

Good insructions, and THANKS !

I can now view the .MID and .KAR extention and that's good, but they are still mixed up.
I arranged the icons by "type" but they show up by alphabet.
I'm almost there.......
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45554 - 10/17/05 02:27 AM Re: CD-R to SD Card
Bill Norrie Offline

Good News Larry
You say that the files are now sorted alphabetically - that is what will happen if you click on the 'Name' tab at the top of the columns.
You can sort the files in several ways, in ascending / descending order by clicking on the column headers 'Name', 'Size', 'Type', 'Date Modified' etc. Each time you click on a column header, it will reverse the sort order, for that particular column. So, for example, if you click on a 'Date' column header, the files will be sorted with either the oldest file at the top of the list and the latest file at the bottom of the list or, the latest file at the top and oldest at the bottom.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#45555 - 10/17/05 09:23 AM Re: CD-R to SD Card
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
Hi it's me Larry again...

Will this work for what I'm, trying to do?
(transfer midis from CD-r to SD card):

technicsplayer
Member posted 10-11-2005 07:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here's a method that's free:
Save one file on the 7k (anything - eg initial condition) on a blank SD anywhere in the first folder.
Transfer to pc, follow the path Private, Technics, Kn7000, erase the inf and bak files there.
Open Tfld001 erase the contents.
If you want any more folders, you can create Tfld002, 003, etc etc now.
Copy your previous contents into each folder following the normal numbering convention, eg if they are floppy disks the contents are already 1-10 or 1-20 without numbering duplications.
Transfer to 7k, each folder will show its contents with the floppy file names ready for load.
Once you save anything on the 7k this method can no longer be used.

You can buy programs like SDExplorer to make an sd structure which work reasonably well with easier renaming etc and copy/delete/transfer on existing saved cards, but for a blank card this gets you going.

no, because those are instructions for technics files to a blank card. For midi files see my post http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/003406.html

#45556 - 10/17/05 04:16 PM Re: CD-R to SD Card
lahawk Offline

Thanks Alec,

I'm a little confused with your answer:
create a folder in the root of the sd called IMEXPORT. Copy midi files there, then go to SD Tools menu, SD Sound Tools, SD Sound Import and copy them to default playlist, and edit your user playlists from them. Then delete the contents of IMEXPORT to save card space.

I'm not a computer geek, so excuse me for asking, but where exactly do I create the IMEXPORT folder?

On My Computer, I click on E drive(SD Read/write drive) it displays a "read only, hidden folder" called SD_SOUND. (I have my computer set-up to display hidden folders).

Clicking on that SD_SOUND folder, displays 3 more hidden files. One is called SD_SOUND.PLM, and another called SD_SOUND.TKM, and below that is a midi file I saved on the 7000. This midi file, also is "read only and hidden".

Which brings me to my original question, where do I put the folder IMEXPORT ?

Also, taking into consideration the size of the SD CARD, can I put an unlimited amount of midi files in the IMEXPORT folder? How many midis can the default playlist hold on the 7000?

Since the 7000 saves midi files as "read only/hidden", do I have to change the midis on my CD-R to "read only/hidden" before copying them to the IMEXPORT SD Card Folder

Sorry for all the questions. You all are probably wondering why I don't just try it and see, but my computer is at one location, and the 7000 is presently somewhere else.
At $3.00 a gal. I'm trying to save gas

Willum,
I cannot uncheck "Name" in the display details. I can only move it up or down.
All other options I can check or uncheck.
Now What?

Thanks Again everyone
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45557 - 10/17/05 05:26 PM Re: CD-R to SD Card
Bill Norrie Offline

Larry, I'll email you some example Windows Explorer Screens to demonstrate.......

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#45558 - 10/17/05 08:48 PM Re: CD-R to SD Card
lahawk Offline

Bill,

I appreciate your personal email help.
And with that help, I have finally sorted .mid from .kar
The problem was VanBasco midi karaoke player.
If you use VanBasco as the default file "type" associated with both .kar and .mid files, then Windows Explorer cannot separate "types" because they all say VanBascoPlayer as the "type".
...get what I'm saying?
Anyway, to fix this problem, I associated .mid files with Windows Media Player, and .kar files with VanBasco .
Now when I click on sort by "type" the .kar and the .mid are separated.

Now to get them to the SD Card to play on the 7000......

Again, Thanks Willum, I appreciate it.
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45559 - 10/18/05 05:17 AM Re: CD-R to SD Card
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
Thanks Alec,

I'm a little confused with your answer:
create a folder in the root of the sd called IMEXPORT. Copy midi files there, then go to SD Tools menu, SD Sound Tools, SD Sound Import and copy them to default playlist, and edit your user playlists from them. Then delete the contents of IMEXPORT to save card space.

I'm not a computer geek, so excuse me for asking, but where exactly do I create the IMEXPORT folder?

On My Computer, I click on E drive(SD Read/write drive) it displays a "read only, hidden folder" called SD_SOUND. (I have my computer set-up to display hidden folders).

Clicking on that SD_SOUND folder, displays 3 more hidden files. One is called SD_SOUND.PLM, and another called SD_SOUND.TKM, and below that is a midi file I saved on the 7000. This midi file, also is "read only and hidden".

Which brings me to my original question, where do I put the folder IMEXPORT ?

Also, taking into consideration the size of the SD CARD, can I put an unlimited amount of midi files in the IMEXPORT folder? How many midis can the default playlist hold on the 7000?

Since the 7000 saves midi files as "read only/hidden", do I have to change the midis on my CD-R to "read only/hidden" before copying them to the IMEXPORT SD Card Folder
Larry

the root is the base folder that opens up from the card reader drive letter. In that folder is PRIVATE if you have saved Technics files, SD_SOUND if you have saved midi files etc etc. Right click in a blank space of the root of the card, choose new from the menu, choose folder, and name the folder. The IMEXPORT folder will now be next to these others.

Since the instructions made no mention of read only etc, you do not need to worry about it, just follow the steps described.

The default playlist can be 999 midis, and 99 user playlists can have 99 songs each, my 7k book had full step by step of playlist creation and editing pages 34 to 38. I have transferred hundreds of midis in one go via imexport.

Andy Gittings had a fine freeware for converting kar to mid, I can mail it if you need it.

Use the search function in the start menu to find *.kar on the cd, highlight the list and drag to a folder. Then do a search for *.mid and the same to another folder - instant sort of the two types without having to bother which program is associated with what.

#45560 - 10/18/05 02:34 PM Re: CD-R to SD Card
lahawk Offline

Thanks Alec,

I'm going to give it go.

Yes please send the converter.

The search function does indeed seperate kar from mid, but does not allow me to move them to a computer folder from the DVD-R
I'm sure it's because the DVD-R format or something.

Funny thing is, I have your book. Maybe it would help if I read it again?

I'll keep you all posted, and thanks for your help (again)
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45561 - 10/19/05 07:17 AM Re: CD-R to SD Card
technicsplayer Offline

ok, it's sent

no reason why you can't copy files off dvd-r search box, all my files are backed up on dvd as well as external drives Larry.

#45562 - 10/19/05 04:01 PM Re: CD-R to SD Card
lahawk Offline

Thanks Alec,

I appreciate it

I'll check it out in a bit.

More questions, if you don't mind.

With your help, I sucsessfully transfered 999 midis from a DVD-R to a 512MB Card, and I imported them to the default playlist.
Horray!

Now, I'm greedy, and would like to add more midis the same way. So herein lies the question...

The default playlist can hold 999 midis, and the user playlists can be 99 folders with 99 midis in each folder.

SO......

If, after copying the 999 songs from the default playlist to user playlists, can I then delete the midis in the default playlist, to be able to add more via my computer?

Or, are we limited to copying 999 songs from the computer to SD Card default playlist?

What happens if there are more then 999 songs in IMEXPORT Folder?

Can midis be copied from my computer to User Playlists?

99 midis X 99 folders is 9,801 midis.
Can an SD card actually hold 9,801 midis?
I don't have near that amount, but is it true that an SD Card can hold 9,801 midi songs?

I have way too many questions,I know,
but only one more.

Is there a faster way to move files from the default playlist to user playlist, or is it "one at a time job" ?

Sorry,that's enough, I'll go...

Thanks
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45563 - 10/19/05 05:24 PM Re: CD-R to SD Card
technicsplayer Offline

Since you can copy selected midis into named user playlists as described in great detail in the step by step instructions on the pages previously quoted in my book it should follow there is no need to copy them one by one from the default playlist since any user list can be created automatically at the copy point.

The default playlist is it, the figures quoted are maximum figures. However there is no reason not to save midis as technics files so the theoretical maximum number of midis on an SD card would be 20,799 songs. Practically using high quality retail midis the sequencer holds 6 to 8 songs, so the practical number would be around 15,000 songs.

#45564 - 10/19/05 05:53 PM Re: CD-R to SD Card
lahawk Offline

Thank You

Amazing! Just a few years ago, could anyone imagine 15,000 songs on a postage stamp size media ?

Bernie's method seems more and more like the way to go. (See Above)

Like him, many of the midis are not my type, so it's probably worth it to pick and choose, then save those I like as a Technics File.
T
ime consuming, but probably worth it.

It is a hobbie, after all.....

Again thanks for the help. (and patience)

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45565 - 10/20/05 02:52 AM Re: CD-R to SD Card
technicsplayer Offline

you're welcome

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online