SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#455438 - 07/30/18 07:27 AM Re: Not many arranger kbs used in Nh jobs?.. [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Ever since I saw Eddie doing a NH job I knew I had to make some changes --- for that reason I agree with Dave’s post.

My Logic:
Let’s say that I have learned to do what Dave is saying – now what do I use to produce my music? The keyboard will always be my choice. It’s the best tool that I have. Don’t play piano. Guitar does a nice job, but not as good as a full keyboard. I do not normally use backings because they limit my freedom. When there is no other way to get the flavor of the song I ma playing I use backings. (Midi)
I have to carry an amp and Mic; so, what’s left. the keyboard and a stand.

Bottom line for me --- I LIKE playing a keyboard! Big job, small job, NH, people who do not hear well, and small dollars are not the reason I leave my home and carry all my stuff. I want to share my happy with other people. I get a good feeling when I am packing my stuff and I see people who are in a great mood laughing and talking. I did it again – nice.

John C.
PS, at home most of my playing is on my guitar – the music is for me.

#455439 - 07/30/18 07:45 AM Re: Not many arranger kbs used in Nh jobs?.. [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have to agree with my friend John, but, I may be less inclined to tote equipment I do If I played more NH gigs. I average about three gigs a week, but only one NH a month. It matters not how big the job is, as I prepare for it like it was an important engagement. That is done for myself, and I derive a lot of fun from it and improve my programs at the same time.

It sounds like some treat it as a necessary evil to make a buck. A popular musician told me a long time ago that when music becomes just a job, to hang it up.

#455441 - 07/30/18 08:07 AM Re: Not Many ARRANGER kbs used on NH jobs?.. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

and if you played with others as a Kb player you would only have to play YOUR PART against the rest of the bands music,
just like a backing track,..we are talking nursing home entertainment here.
I have seen NH acts with just an IPOD, Wireless MIC, Bose compact, etc, and they loved it.. in & out 1 hr Bam!

Edited by Dnj (07/30/18 08:10 AM)

#455443 - 07/30/18 08:35 AM Re: Not many arranger kbs used in Nh jobs?.. [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Since my equipment/sound have improved, along with taking time on arrangements, my pay has doubled. 'nuf said. Taking in the minimum to make a buck sounds self serving, imo.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#455444 - 07/30/18 08:36 AM Re: Not many arranger kbs used in Nh jobs?.. [Re: bruno123]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
Ever since I saw Eddie doing a NH job I knew I had to make some changes --- for that reason I agree with Dave’s post.

Bottom line for me --- I LIKE playing a keyboard! Big job, small job, NH, people who do not hear well, and small dollars are not the reason I leave my home and carry all my stuff. I want to share my happy with other people. I get a good feeling when I am packing my stuff and I see people who are in a great mood laughing and talking. I did it again – nice.

John C.
PS, at home most of my playing is on my guitar – the music is for me.

I agree with John. I like switching keyboards, that's some of the enjoyment for me. I

#455451 - 07/30/18 10:21 AM Re: Not Many ARRANGER kbs used on NH jobs?.. [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I agree with last few guys... I would rather play my preferred instrument for all the jobs I may do..

My complete comfort level was to have my G70 in front of me.. It was hard to haul sometimes but when set up, it was a winner,,, it gave me all the tools I needed..

Now that I have the BK9... I have the great sound, decent keys , and all the features I need to be comfortable on the gig..

Set up time is only a couple minutes... so where is the gain to compromise without an instrument.. for the sake of downsizing..

Besides I am a keyboard player... long before I decided to sing too..
and I am just as comfortable to play instrumentals..

I can change gears... play a request, and not be locked into your laptop/tablet pre recorded program..

Everything is more spontaneous … Happy birthday...right there... polka time out of the blue... covered..

Even if I play over a sequence I can vary what I am playing and give it a different look/sound... not possible on all canned, same old recording on the laptop..

Playing our instruments gives us our independence...

My 20 pound BK9 and my 35 pound Marantz sound system..

#455452 - 07/30/18 11:35 AM Re: Not Many ARRANGER kbs used on NH jobs?.. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Now back to the original topic,.....why don't you see many arranger kb players at NH jobs judging by the hundreds of videos on You Tube around the world...?

#455454 - 07/30/18 12:45 PM Re: Not Many ARRANGER kbs used on NH jobs?.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Where are you looking, Donny? I know several arranger keyboard players that are in other states, performing at nursing homes, assisted living centers and retirement communities. And, for the most part, they are better paid than someone with an I-Phone, a mixer, a mic and amp.

When I was performing in the Florida Keys, I was one of only three arranger keyboard players between Marathon and Key West. Nearly all the other performers were guitar players that sang country and Jimmy Buffett songs. Because have guitar will travel entertainers are a dime a dozen everywhere you look, they never seem to command the higher pay scales. I know that the ADs here don't pay the KJs more than $35 to $50 for a one hour job. And, when those special parties needed an entertainer, the arranger keyboard players that could sing were the first people they would call. Same went for the corporate parties.

Now, I know that some of the I-phone KJs are darned good singers and have seen many of them perform. However, 99 percent of them had full-time day jobs which precluded them from doing the NH jobs because those jobs, as you well know, are in the middle of the day and mostly weekdays - not weekends. Consequently, this put them out of the loop, leaving those job slots wide open for those of us that were full time, arranger keyboard entertainers.

Many years ago, I played a 12-sting Yamaha guitar, sat on a bar stool with a Shure SM58 mic on a stand and a music stand with a 3-inch looseleaf binder loaded with lyrics. I was paid $50 a night, was booked pretty much every Friday and Saturday night and thought I was making good money. Then my loving wife pointed out that I was barely breaking even most of the time. She was right.

When I switched to an arranger keyboard, things improved drastically. I had variety at my fingertips, I was not constrained to a single instrument, but instead had a full band at my command and the audiences increased in size right along with my paycheck. Additionally, I was not restricted to the the constraints of pre-recorded backing tracks, which many of the DJs and KJs must contend with.

Finally, I was playing the instrument of my choice, which was no longer a guitar or mandolin. I was first and foremost an entertainer, and secondly a musician that could be creative, which was appreciated by my audiences as well as myself. I have many friends in the UK and Northern Europe that also perform the senior circuit, and they all use an arranger keyboard. Now, Don Mason got lazy, which is not a bad thing, Don, and decided he wanted to perform the nite club circuit, performing every night in the same location, which permits him to leave his gear on stage and not set up or tear down after each job. But, I clearly remember when he and his friend were out doing just when the rest of us did on the NH circuit and making a pretty good living at it, using of all things, an arranger keyboard.

Remember Bill Corfield (Bill in Dayton)? Bill was doing more than 400 jobs a year in the NH circuit using his arranger keyboard, and I assume that he still is.

Eddie Shoemaker is down there in Sunny Florida playing the NH circuit and the animal clubs and VFWs and American Legions using his arranger keyboard. On nights when he's not there, they usually have another keyboard player pumping up the crowds on the dance floor.

I don't know Donny, but it sounds like you are looking for some justification to sell your keyboard, but you won't get it from me - that's for sure. To me, it makes absolutely no sense at all. You know the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Works for me,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#455459 - 07/30/18 02:39 PM Re: Not Many ARRANGER kbs used on NH jobs?.. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No interest, so edited.

Edited by DonM (08/02/18 04:44 PM)

#455460 - 07/30/18 02:48 PM Re: Not Many ARRANGER kbs used on NH jobs?.. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Gary
.... No need to get so defensive what you wrote is all well and good to a point.....I could extend my point to not many "arranger kbs" being used beyond nursing homes in bands, bars, clubs, and many other live venues vs other types of keyboards, etc, It's just the truth look around you or look at all the videos posted.... the Proof is there no matter how much we are biased and love to play arrangers nothing wrong with that, and I myself am proud to be one of those fortunate people that can play one professionally but I see what is happening and the changes are very real,.... As for me I can buy or sell at will,.... For now Korg Pa1000 is my choice and fits most of my needs,..like Uncle dave always says all my gear is always for sale.Using Arranger styles is just a tool not a crutch..
I'm a very flexible musician with an open mind always was...

Edited by Dnj (07/30/18 03:08 PM)

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online