SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#455322 - 07/28/18 09:11 AM Who's using BIAB instead of styles to play with?
Dnj Offline

Who uses the newer 2017/2018 BIAB (Band In A Box) exclusively instead of arranger styles to accompany themselves so they can just play on top of and sing etc,...creating backing tracks the way they choose without the repetition of styles.using any non arranger keyboard of their choice?..with time on my hands I am considering it...
could be lots of fun.

Edited by Dnj (07/29/18 04:13 AM)

#455323 - 07/28/18 09:15 AM Re: Who uses BIAB exclusively instead of styles? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

So many ways to create any kind of music your desire with 2018 BIAB..

#455331 - 07/28/18 11:45 AM Re: Who uses BIAB exclusively instead of styles? [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Donny,

When I was working in nursing homes I used backing tracks and played guitar over them. I used Band in a Box as the basis for the tracks but I also used EZ Drummer and some other things and blended it all in Cubase. The advantage is you can make the tracks just how you want them. The disadvantage is the time involved to get a large enough catalog of songs. I would think a compromise of an arranger with occasional backing tracks for special songs would be the way to go.

Edited by W Tracy Parnell (07/28/18 11:46 AM)

#455334 - 07/28/18 12:17 PM Re: Who'susing BIAB instead of styles to play with? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Donny you don't have the patience to use BIAB..

You are use to arranger keyboard... easy to use and capture your MIDI, save as a SMF. or record as MP3. smile

BIAB has a lot of great features... but for what your needs are... stay with the Korg.

Now that being said.. I do like to use BIAB.. I like to play a new song I need to learn, from the original artist.. BIAB figures the chords from the audio file.. While still in BIAB , I select a style that will fit my needs....The song will play back with the right chord progression. And I can let Jimmy Smith , or Montgomery take a verse... smile I can use real instruments and read drums... Save it as an audio file.. I can also print out the score of my new arrangement..

None of the above is easier than selected a style on your Korg and play it.. wink

#455336 - 07/28/18 12:23 PM Re: Who'susing BIAB instead of styles to play with? [Re: Dnj]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Arthritis is setting in big time in my left hand making it next to impossible for me to play my chords. I'm thinking I'm going to need to use my BIAB and create the complete backup with it abd fill ins with right hand on the keyboard. It like starting all over.

#455349 - 07/29/18 03:55 AM Re: Who'susing BIAB instead of styles to play with? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

I think for people that want to go full software...
Biab adds enormous depth...
its also great to play piano on those backings..
But sadly it still hasn’t a relatime mode, which follows realtime played chords..

So you would have to use t together with Varranger, for real time played backings
Where sadly Varranger misses out on my beloved multipads..
But then thats where a software setup shines..
You could use reason to fill in all the possible blancks.
And even combine wth hardware like a motif xs rack for the great yamaha arps..

And if .. varranger wold work on Mac, you could even use mainstage for your keyboard parts..

All in all, things will get pretty complex quite fast if you want to get all things possible out of a software setup..

So maybe its better to just use all the software on top of a standard arranger..
i think biab adds a lot of great stuff to any arranger..
But do you need it? Espescially with the pa4x allready having a chord sequencer?
No, but its great fun to play around with..
But then i haven’t used my copy of biab in years...
I think i am, still on version 2012 windows, from before switching to mac..
I allways get the feeling the mac version trails behind the windows version..

But if it would offer a realtime chord detection mode, amd an option to import/convert 3rd party styles, i would even comsder it instead of the pa4x... i think its that good.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#455351 - 07/29/18 04:52 AM Re: Who'susing BIAB instead of styles to play with? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Bachus all valid points ....I feel it has drawbacks vs styles that are so repetitious....
but then again BIAB lets you create and arrange music in many ways too. I am still on the fence but it is all very interesting and a great substitute for music making.

#455352 - 07/29/18 05:13 AM Re: Who'susing BIAB instead of styles to play with? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Bachus all valid points ....I feel it has drawbacks vs styles that are so repetitious....
but then again BIAB lets you create and arrange music in many ways too. I am still on the fence but it is all very interesting and a great substitute for music making.

If you have time at hand, and want to spend it on makng your own backings... BIAB is a great place to start... espescially with a fast wimdows 10 tablet, sitting in your lazy chair, it seems like an incredible fun timepass..

Thats the great thing, you dont need to sit behind the keyboard, not even behind a desktop pc.. with modern technollogy it can be done with a tablet in your lazy chair..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#455406 - 07/29/18 08:04 PM Re: Who'susing BIAB instead of styles to play with? [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Donny, if you’ve got the time and patience BIAB might be worth it. As I told you before...I bought 2017 and still haven’t gotten into it. Granted, I’m still working full time. But Fran had some good advice. If you want to keep a flow going when writing...BIAB has many hurdles.

That said...if you’re looking for a challenge, BIAB certainly provides that.

jingleman

#455416 - 07/30/18 03:57 AM Re: Who'susing BIAB instead of styles to play with? [Re: jingleman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Donny, if you’ve got the time and patience BIAB might be worth it. As I told you before...I bought 2017 and still haven’t gotten into it. Granted, I’m still working full time. But Fran had some good advice. If you want to keep a flow going when writing...BIAB has many hurdles.

That said...if you’re looking for a challenge, BIAB certainly provides that.

jingleman

Thanx Jingleman,....

Fran called me for my birthday yesterday and set me straight on the new BIAB as usual he is the voice of reason. Although a great product it is just not a good match for my needs at this time.

Edited by Dnj (07/31/18 05:08 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online