Since some have asked - this is the text that I send out to some A.D.'s about "enrichment seminars" (music-oriented talk/demo): (from Jim Laing's Program Ideas document):

"How Music is Created & Recorded: a talk/demo where I use fun, audience-friendly ways to show how music is created, performed and recorded – includes lots of musical demos (that I play on my modern keyboard instrument); includes some audience participation!

Music Appreciation: a talk/demo where I talk about a variety of styles and kinds of music, with lots of musical examples that I play “live”. I talk about the styles, what makes them unique, what instruments are used in various musical genres, etc. I take requests as well!

Musical Instruments: a talk/demo where I talk about and demo a wide variety of musical instruments (using my modern electronic keyboard) from orchestral, to jazz instruments, to “world” instruments and more. Lots of music is played to demo the various sounds, as I talk about how instruments work, the many kinds of instruments, and how they are combined and used in a wide variety of styles of music.

Hidden Gems: There are many songs, especially from the 1940s and earlier, that have “lost” parts – parts that are not heard as often anymore. These songs have parts that have been somewhat “lost” over the years. Example: “Take Me Out To The Ball Game” has a whole verse that comes before the part that everyone knows! For this theme, I have researched the “hidden” (less known) parts of many well-known songs. I play the part people don’t know as well, sometime having them try to guess which song it goes to! I demonstrate how many of these “lost” parts are actually part of songs they know, but maybe didn’t know had these “extra” parts to them!"

-Jim