SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#454820 - 07/17/18 07:41 AM Yamaha Genos Demo Peter Baartmans..
Dnj Offline

#454834 - 07/17/18 10:12 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Demo Peter Baartmans.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Really enjoyed the guitar demos that started at about 25:00. As usual, Peter makes this all look as easy as child's play.

Chas would love the organ section that begins at 35:00, especially the blues and jazz tunes he plays.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#454846 - 07/17/18 12:19 PM Re: Yamaha Genos Demo Peter Baartmans.. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Chas would love the organ section that begins at 35:00, especially the blues and jazz tunes he plays.

Okay, I'm going to be perfectly honest here. First, I'm not a big fan of this guy although I know he is quite popular here on SZ, especially among Yamaha users. Second, if I heard that organ piece he did in a jazz club, I would do my best to contain my nausea until I made it to the bathroom (where there would probably be a long line of other jazz fans doing the same thing). Unfortunately, Jazz organ does not lend itself to 'style' playing (for a number of reasons). The least authentic thing is the 'canned' organ bass line. First, the tone does not sound like an organ (B3 type) bass line which is typically finger bass with a percussive pedal tap 'pushed' by rhythmically rocking the expression pedal. The 'feel' derived from this technique is hard to capture in a programmed style. Also, the comping style and chord voicing usually associated with jazz organ is definitely not on display here.

What you heard here might still play well with some audiences, such as ones not schooled in jazz organ or jazz in general. Now there is no question about the quality of the voices and SOME of the styles in this instrument, but this particular one is not one I'd use even in the privacy of my own home. I think Russ or Bill Lewis or any other old B3 players or fans of guys like Joey D, Jimmy Smith, Tony Monaco, etc. would concur (although they're not obliged to). FWIW, I would not be the best judge of what was good or bad Tejano music either.

chas (just trying to keep it honest)

#454940 - 07/19/18 11:57 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Demo Peter Baartmans.. [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
...What Chas said...

R.

#454951 - 07/19/18 01:51 PM Re: Yamaha Genos Demo Peter Baartmans.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, keep in mind that what I know about organs you could write on the head of a match and write the National Anthem next to it. It sounded pretty darned good to me, though, so I thought you would enjoy listening to it as well. Just thinking about you, old friend. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#454953 - 07/19/18 01:57 PM Re: Yamaha Genos Demo Peter Baartmans.. [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
My 2 cents, Peter does the job he’s paid to do and in my opinion it’s the proverbial “sell the sizzle not the steak.” I’d like to play like he does, actually I’d rather play like Joey D. , does.

I know I shared this here in the past I met Baartman’s at a clinic in Orlando. He plays a bit of everything, he did share with the group that he’s more of a classical music fan and musician. Told us his car radio/ MP3 player is loaded with classical tunes.

#454968 - 07/19/18 03:25 PM Re: Yamaha Genos Demo Peter Baartmans.. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Gary, my post probably came across a little harsh. It was not directed at you, it's just that I really, really dislike classically trained musicians who have the SKILLS but not the SOUL to play authentic jazz/blues/folk/country/etc....IOW, music from the heart, not the fingers. Know what I mean. It's like fish, that fertilize the egg AFTER it's been expelled.

BTW, I'll try to post an example of what I mean (organ-wise).

chas

#454991 - 07/20/18 05:54 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Demo Peter Baartmans.. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Gary, here is a (poor) example of what I meant re. jazz organ basslines and chord voicings, etc. BTW, the 'vibes' are from my new Crumar SEVEN (I just need to learn to play it like a vibes player smile ). Piano is Roland Fantom G7 (didn't have time to work out a nice solo). No effects, just a rough mix of the volumes. I picked this tune 'cause I knew you knew it (Autumn Leaves, in case you don't recognize it smile ). Have a good day.

https://app.box.com/s/xrfxzlpnps2w5o1c30ggwdffhbvciuv1

chas

#454996 - 07/20/18 06:21 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Demo Peter Baartmans.. [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Gary, here is a (poor) example of what I meant re. jazz organ basslines and chord voicings, etc. BTW, the 'vibes' are from my new Crumar SEVEN (I just need to learn to play it like a vibes player smile ). Piano is Roland Fantom G7 (didn't have time to work out a nice solo). No effects, just a rough mix of the volumes. I picked this tune 'cause I knew you knew it (Autumn Leaves, in case you don't recognize it smile ). Have a good day.

https://app.box.com/s/xrfxzlpnps2w5o1c30ggwdffhbvciuv1

chas

Chas thanx for sharing enjoyed the listen!! more more .. cool2

#455010 - 07/20/18 07:43 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Demo Peter Baartmans.. [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Nicely done . The drums are from?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online