SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4544 - 10/20/03 01:56 PM Need Help With Synths
alstonuk Offline

I am very much a novice when it comes to synths so i'm wondering if anyone can help. I would like a synth with authentic string sounds so i can layer different parts together but i don't know where to start. Can i do this without the use of a computer or do i need software and if so what do i need? I'm only really bothered about strings as i've written parts but haven't the gear to layer them up. I'm going in the studio in Jan with my band and would like to lay these parts down to some indie like stuff. Any help would be gratefully recieved. Thanks.

#4545 - 10/20/03 02:24 PM Re: Need Help With Synths
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
There are a lots of ways but first thing's to know to give a reasonable advice is;

BUDGET???
and
Do you have a computer with soundcard?

#4546 - 10/21/03 10:31 AM Re: Need Help With Synths
alstonuk Offline

I have around £700 at the moment but don't want to spend all of it. I'm not sure whether my laptop has a soundcard or not. It has something but i'm not sure what.

#4547 - 10/21/03 04:08 PM Re: Need Help With Synths
freddynl Offline

Well obviously you're definately new to midi-audio recording through pc/mac.

Seeing your target to do some strings only in the studio in a couple of month's and your pc is a laptop you are probably best of with hardware.
If going the software route you need knowledge of; midi - sampling - sequencers - audiorecording software - soundcards etc..

Within your budget I would look for used gear though.

My guesses are that by layering the strings
you mean multi-track audio recording in the studio? (track by track recorded.)

you could look for;
Yamaha DX 7 (saw these around euro 300 used)
Roland JP8000 (around 700 euro used)

Another nice one could be a Roland MT32 but that one is without keys, so you need a keyboard controller as well which rules it out as you need some midi knowledge.

I am sure a lot of the members here have a lot of other suggestions but I try to think within your budget for easy to find used synths models

There is a site on harmony central with reviews of most synths so it is worthwhile looking to get an idea.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/

Let us know if you need some more info.

Fred

[This message has been edited by freddynl (edited 10-21-2003).]

#4548 - 10/21/03 05:24 PM Re: Need Help With Synths
alstonuk Offline

Thanks, the Roland one looks very interesting.

#4549 - 10/21/03 08:21 PM Re: Need Help With Synths
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Don't worry about using your lap-top to create music. You can always get into mouse clicking later.
I think what you need now, is a used synthesizer workstation with an on-board sequencer (so you can record, layer and create your own music).
Check out Yamaha EX series (EX-5 and EX-7 in particular). Also check out Korg Trinity. I've seen EX7s and Trinitys on e-bay going for $700 - $900.

Oh!
Definitely look out for Korg 01/W workstations - especial 01/W FD.
They go for about $500 - $600 used. Real pro stuff of the 90's.

Roland XP series. They have their downsides - the front panel display is too small on those. But if you see 20/20 I guess it doesn't make much difference.

-ED-

#4550 - 10/22/03 06:49 AM Re: Need Help With Synths
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
You could try one of the higher end Yamaha PSRs with XG. XG level 1 has 480 instruments including a lot of sampled strings and the PSRs have extra sounds as well. My PSR740 has 761 instruments altogether and I can layer up to 18 at once. I'm currently using some nice organ sounds with 6 layers. The nice thing about this range of models is that you don't need a sound card. I use a "to host" connection to my laptop which is simply a cable that plugs into a serial port. The cable is cheap or you can make one yourself as I did. Or you can use the USB port with a midi adapter thopugh later PSRs also have a USB port. Software that utilises XG includes XGWorks and XGEdit. New PSR740s were recently being sold for as low as $600 in some places due to them being discontinued.

Bryan

#4551 - 10/22/03 12:19 PM Re: Need Help With Synths
alstonuk Offline

I reckon the Roland XP80 looks the business. On board sequencer and the strings seem graet if the reviews are to be believed. There's also extra discs to boost the options. May go down that road. May take time to master but in long term it'll be better.

#4552 - 10/22/03 08:07 PM Re: Need Help With Synths
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
All the models mentioned above, my choice would also be a XP80. It has a learning curve but is very capable, with sounds that will work in a studio..

#4553 - 10/23/03 04:11 PM Re: Need Help With Synths
freddynl Offline

I agree, but where do you find one used?

He is in Uk so there might be overthere, but not on the continent.
It's very rare you see one here.

Usa (e-bay f.i.) might be a way to go but then how about the 110 volt???
Uk = 250 Volt!
Does the XP80 have a volt selector??

#4554 - 10/27/03 01:13 PM Re: Need Help With Synths
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I like the XP-80 also...

But something to note... The best delivered string sounds sample has a nasally whistle after a second or two. You'll hear it mostly only in the keys just above middle C, namely, F#, G, G#, A. The sample I'm refereing to is used in patch Preset c -036 warm strings. The sample is also used in a couple of other strings patches.

But the strings sample on the Session Card is top notch.

Since I don't yet have the Session card, I'm using a strings sample that is not as full as the warm strings patch, but it has no ill sounds in it. I could tell you tomorrow the actual sample name.

I do enjoy my xp-80 a great deal though otherwise and once I get a Session card up in that bad daddy, I'm gonna love it.

Peace
<><

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online