SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#454313 - 07/04/18 07:37 AM Exercise for the Oldsters
Guardman2001 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi all. I don't know about youse guys but I'm headed for 81 years in August and find that the only thing to really work to keep the bod and mind going is exercise and I mean w/ heavy weights and so-on. I survived cancer in 2008 and it really set me back(still not over it). Now that I've finally commited to getting back out to entertaining I need it more than ever. I had slacked off and gotten really lazy but am starting to feel better now that I am starting to push myself again. It may sound strange to think someone my age is making a new start but it's going to keep me going and to hell w/ anyone who thinks different. I'm not content to just sit there and wait for it.

#454321 - 07/04/18 09:43 AM Re: Exercise for the Oldsters [Re: Guardman2001]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree, don't sit around waiting for the Grim Reaper - if you do, he will arrive much earlier than you wish. smile

While I'm physically busted up pretty bad, and too damned fat, I still try to stay in shape by riding a stationary bike for a mile or two at a moderate friction grade on a daily basis. I then use some relatively light (5-pound) dumbbells and do 100 curls with each arm while sitting in the recliner watching TV and sipping on some lemonade or honey bourbon. smile

And, when the weather permits, I head for the upper reaches of Chesapeake Bay where I dock my sailboat, a 33 Morgan Out Island. Hoisting those 80-pound sails up the mast and wrestling with the jib sheets and winches while tacking provides a damned good workout. Unfortunately, the weather during the past 10 days has been horrendous for old codgers with bad lungs so sailing is out of the question right now. Might go Friday, though if the weather forecast holds.

Until my back problems worsened, I tried riding my bicycle a couple miles around the neighborhood on a regular basis, but now, my grandson rides it. I'm just too messed up to do this anymore, though I would love to.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online