SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#454310 - 07/04/18 07:22 AM Thayer's throat lozenges
Guardman2001 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi all. Any comments on how to keep the throat in good shape? I just ordered these Thayer's throat lozenges, they look like they might help. cough, cough.(just kidding)

#454312 - 07/04/18 07:25 AM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Guardman2001]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The best thing for singers is ice water.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#454314 - 07/04/18 08:15 AM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Guardman2001]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I just sip iced tea or juice most of the night. Often have coffee on breaks. Never had a throat problem. Can't sing with a lozenge in my mouth though. Can't sing much without one either. smile

#454315 - 07/04/18 08:57 AM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
PERSONALLY, I never drink cold or ice water when performing, and much prefer room temperature water ...in fact, I drink room temp water almost all the time ...
I CAN sing (however good or bad I might sound wink ) with a piece of a 'lozenge' in my mouth and prefer HALLS Mentho-Lyptus cough drops to keep my throat moist and nasal passages clear ...

Hydration is always important, but as for the 'benefit' of iced drinks during a performance, of course there are varied opinions as one can tell from this article:
https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/3124/is-cold-water-bad-for-the-throat

#454316 - 07/04/18 09:03 AM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Guardman2001]
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
I've had very good results with this throat spray.

Vocaleze Throat Spray

Edited by big741.1 (07/04/18 09:04 AM)

#454317 - 07/04/18 09:04 AM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Guardman2001]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I suppose I am blessed to not have that particular problem! smile

#454318 - 07/04/18 09:12 AM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Guardman2001]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Singers’ Guide to Throat Lozenges

http://www.joannacazden.com/a-vocalists-guide-to-throat-lozenges/

For information only.

Jerryghr

#454320 - 07/04/18 09:34 AM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Guardman2001]
travlin'easy Offline

One of the things singers frequently overlook, and often mask the symptoms with lozenges, is polyps on the vocal folds, which can lead to throat cancer. Many, many top singers/entertainers have died from throat cancer, and I saw lots of those cases when I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. One of my best friends, who unfortunately, passed away a few weeks ago, was among the top head-neck surgeons in the world and a full professor of ENT at Hopkins, examined me annually for throat and vocal fold polyps. He said that the vast majority of them are usually benign, however, if not removed, they had the potential to become malignant if the irritant persisted. The irritant, of course was singing, which if you are power singer, really beats up those vocal folds. I was never a power singer, even in my younger days, so I guess I was fortunate in that respect. Still, I underwent the exam every single year until I retired. When my doctor friend performed my last exam, and I informed him of my retirement, he said that it was about time, at least for my vocal folds, to take a break. I dearly miss my old friend.

Good luck, and play it safe,

Gary cool

#454322 - 07/04/18 09:52 AM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Guardman2001]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
For me, singing is like downhill skiing. Once you push off ... there's no turning back. I will not "take it easy", but I do play it safe. I don't scream, or play too loudly. I sing in the keys that fit my range. For me, the concept of "right key" - "wrong key" only applies to my comfort level. It really bugs me when musicians tell me what key a song is "IN" ... I don't care what key it was written in, or who plays it in what key. My instrument (my voice) has no transpose button, and I have learned to use the right tool for the right job. I don't like to strain, and if I can't do a song justice, I won't do it ... except on rare occasions where a request is accompanied by a generous donation to my gear fund. smile I will sacrifice my comfort (to a degree) for the pleasure of my audience.

I've never been an alter boy as far as health goes, but I do try to pamper my throat, especially in busy times, like now; singing 4 sets, 6 nights a week. I avoid temperature extremes (beverages), limit caffeine intake, avoid dairy ... the usual. When I do need to "medicate" during a hard night, I put a few Riccola lozenges in warm water, and drink that as a makeshift, soothing tea. Feels good, tastes good, and seems to give me a little boost to get through the last set. 60 songs a night can really take a toll.

I can't coast with my vocals. It's too personal, and every night brings a different energy to the stage. I will continue to sing my heart out until my body tells me otherwise. I don't fish, or golf, or have a boat, so this is my hand, and I'm going all in.

Happy 4th to all my US friends!

#454323 - 07/04/18 10:18 AM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Guardman2001]
travlin'easy Offline

Dave, I have a really nice sailing yacht that I will let you have for a good price. Trouble is, it tends to attract relatively young, red-headed ladies that want to sail to Saint Somewhere. wink

Good luck,

Gary (The dirty old man!) cool

Attachments
ATT5.jpg

ATT3.jpg

#454335 - 07/05/18 07:33 AM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Guardman2001]
Uncle Dave Offline

Keep the boat ... I'll take the redhead.
smile

#454336 - 07/05/18 08:41 AM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Guardman2001]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA

#454339 - 07/05/18 02:17 PM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Bernie9]
Uncle Dave Offline

Ummmm .... there's no redhead in this video. What a waste of time. smile

#454340 - 07/05/18 05:14 PM Re: Thayer's throat lozenges [Re: Guardman2001]
travlin'easy Offline

Ya have to buy the boat to get the redhead, Dave. wink

Gary cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online