Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
You aren't kidding-right on the mark.

#454253 - 07/02/18 02:31 PM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
It is about time, stop living in the past,
...let's move on the future is exiting,
I'm happy to be alive in these times of technological progress ...

Donny, my post isn't about living in the past, or not embracing the technology of the future, but rather, the affect it has on people's livelihood ...
In my '9-5' (there really never was such a thing) 45 year business career I was on the cutting edge of computer technology - going from IBM punch cards to data entry systems to main frame computers to desk top PCs to laptops ... and being an Operations Manager I had to be innovative and embrace and utilize the 'latest and greatest' along the way ... but all those innovations came with the price of deep staff reductions, as retraining and repositioning of people only works for some ... there was always an unfortunate number who were left with nothing ...
That's why I don't always jump for joy when I hear things like the Best Buy announcement ...
PS: It's also why I refuse to use a 'self-checkout' register in any store - at least until they start paying me to do it ...
Enough of my rant for today ...
Have a great day ...

#454254 - 07/02/18 02:49 PM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
(re: Bill's (Abacus) post)

But as long as we worship at the (arranger) alter and wait with baited breath for the next new even-more-automatic arranger to come out, aren't we contributing to the problem.....you know, the one we all acknowledge but are too lazy (or complacent) to change.

Dave and Bernie recognize the problem but the real question is: what do we do to fix it? Here's one idea. Use the darn thing but don't let it dominate your performance. Make sure the focus is on YOU and your playing, not the tricks that the arranger can perform. Make sure you're hitting more KEYS than buttons, sliders, and switches. Make sure the audience knows that underneath that ENTERTAINER'S cloak, there is a MUSICIAN. Your performance should never come across as 'hey guys, look at what my magic machine can do', it should always be 'hey guys, look at what I can do'. Easy to do with a piano or guitar; with an arranger you have to work at it a little harder. JMO.

chas

Edited by cgiles (07/02/18 02:52 PM)

#454255 - 07/02/18 02:56 PM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Tony somebodys job was to "design the self check out systems" deliver & install them so more jobs are always created as older ones fall to the side..same with easy Pass...etc, etc,...

#454257 - 07/02/18 03:24 PM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Tony somebodys job was to "design the self check out systems" deliver & install them so more jobs are always created as older ones fall to the side..same with easy Pass...etc, etc,...

Absolutely right about that, Donny ... but once the technology is designed it replaces far more jobs than it took to create it ... Believe me, I drive a LOT and I love E-Z Pass, but how many toll collectors lost their jobs because of it? ... And the number of people hired to check the photos of the 'toll beaters' doesn't match that ...
'nuff said ... I'm out on this subject ...

#454258 - 07/02/18 03:31 PM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Re: chas' post above ...
I am happy to say that with all the compliments I heard after our 50s concert last week, no one said "that keyboard sounded really good" ...
In fact, I don't ever remember anyone saying that, even when I 'upgraded' my keyboard ...

#454261 - 07/02/18 04:15 PM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Damned, this is the second time this year I have agreed with Chas. wink Better mark your calendars! smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#454262 - 07/02/18 04:19 PM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Speaking of change: I just witnessed a commercial on TV by one of the auto makers... ballyhooing the fact that with their new model SUV, you'll have to subscribe to play music. That alone is enough for me to seek somebody else's equivalent set of wheels. I want a CD player and a great sound system in my car. Apple can go fly a kite as far as I'm concerned. I'm perfectly capable of selecting my own "playlists" and I sure don't want them "streamed."

Tony, I'm with you. Every time I check out at Wal-Mart, I bypass that section where the customer can do the work for them by scanning items purchased and bagging them all by one's self. There are tons of people who need those checker's jobs. If they eliminate all the checkers, I'll buy my groceries somewhere else.

#454263 - 07/02/18 05:12 PM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Damned, this is the second time this year I have agreed with Chas. wink Better mark your calendars! smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

You mean the 'deplorables' and the 'libertards' can actually agree on something? Next thing you know I'll be putting out my C&W album (featuring Capt. Russ on Harmonica) and Gary will be promoting his new Smooth Jazz album. Both will be streamed.

chas

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online