SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#454206 - 07/01/18 04:32 PM BYE BYE CD's.....
Dnj Online   content

Edited by Dnj (07/01/18 04:33 PM)

#454207 - 07/01/18 05:36 PM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Donny,
You always preach to go with the times wink
I used to buy CD's then I-tunes ...
Now I use Spotify. Any Song, Anywhere, Anytime.
Any CD, Playlist etc.
I am super happy wink
Haven't used CD's in a Loooong time ...
Eric

#454215 - 07/01/18 07:21 PM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Eric, B]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
So, soon, CDs will go the way of transistor radios, cassette tapes, 8 tracks, and vinyl records ... how many people will be looking for new careers, and how many will find them? ... Technology rolls on, but at what price? ...

#454221 - 07/02/18 12:41 AM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Vinyl is in a full resurgence with sales continuously increasing and is currently up to 90s levels, (Even big manufactures have reintroduced turntables to their range, not forgetting that even the big supermarkets now have vinyl aisles) cassettes are also starting to get some return momentum (Tascam has reintroduced its cassette range, with older used classic cassette models increasing in price (Think Nakamichi) and for hi-end users (Read expensive) even reel to reel is making a comeback.(Youngsters are even buying vinyl even though they don’t have a turntable just so that they can hold something physical in their hand, something you can’t do with streaming)
In Japan manufactures have also started to introduce Hi-res CDs using the MQA system.
Will they replace streaming, of course not, but people just like to hold something physically real. (Even youngsters)
Let’s face it what would you rather have: Karaoke or a live band, Sex doll or a real women/man, see someone pushing buttons or someone actually playing a keyboard/organ/synth, online is great but people require physical interaction to survive.

Bill

#454224 - 07/02/18 02:35 AM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Speaking of Karaoke, I have a Karaoke show every week in which about twenty singers, collectively, bring hundreds of CDs which I put on my machine. I know people have songs on mem sticks, I-phones etc, and many KJ's use a streaming service. Many of my people are not at all tech savvy, and wonder about them. I know they can be converted to audio, but what a job. I can and do play from iPads and mem sticks, but wonder If I should warn them yet. At least, they should have back ups.

#454225 - 07/02/18 04:45 AM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
To each his own! Until a better "medium" is available, CDs will remain my preferred method for playing music for my own consumption. Streaming is being "pushed" very hard by all the big music entities, labels, PROs and now they want to change copyright laws. What is good for them is not good for me... and probably not for you. Their angle is always "more money" for them and more cost for you.

It has become a "let them eat cake" world... and they can have all they want... as long as they leave me out of it... and leave me alone.

CDs remind me of tiny records. Most come with some kind of printed matter to tell the consumer a bit about the artist and each song. As a songwriter... one of my objectives is to leave a legacy for my children. Streaming seems cold and impersonal.

#454227 - 07/02/18 04:56 AM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
CDs aren't totally over for me yet. I'm getting Tower of Powers 50th Anniversary CD "Soul Side of Town" I did thinn out my collection bit still have a few hundred in a road case. I also like to have something physical to hold. I do miss the album jacket art and writing of vinyl.

#454229 - 07/02/18 06:26 AM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Online   content

It is about time, stop living in the past,
...let's move on the future is exiting,
I'm happy to be alive in these times of technological progress
which is still in it's infancy. Everything we have now will be an ancient memory in just a few short years to come.

Edited by Dnj (07/02/18 07:36 AM)

#454236 - 07/02/18 07:06 AM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Much to be said about "Being above ground!" LOL! Thanks for the "heads up", Donnie.

#454242 - 07/02/18 11:46 AM Re: BYE BYE CD's..... [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Technology is a great servant but a bad master, and if you forget about the past you will end making a mistake that has already been made, thus you will go nowhere and just waste time.

Take the mobile away from most folks and ask them to do something, they will just give you a blank look, as without their masters (The mobile and its apps) they are pretty much an empty shell. (They ignored the past (Learning how to do things for themselves) and ended up worse off in the long run)

Easy play features of organs developed into arranger keyboards due to technological advances where you can now just press a button and everything is done for you, however take all the easy stuff away and ask the performer to play a song then most of them will just have that horror look as they don’t have their masters (Automatics etc.) to produce that fantastic sound for them, which is why in the old days you could tell a player by his playing style, whereas now you can only tell the instrument manufacture and thus most players just sound the same as each other, as their masters (The automatics) don’t vary. (Talent has nothing to do with the technology but the determination of the performer, which if you looked to the past you would know as it has happened before)

If on the other hand you are happy to be spoon fed by the companies (You have no (Or don’t want) a mind of your own) you just become a sheep. (Those that have their own mind become the Ram, and have much more fun and fulfilment than the sheep)

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online