SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#453845 - 06/23/18 10:40 AM Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Loc: New Symrna Beach, Fl.
We are starting a series of "how-to" type videos as we are learning more about our SD40. Today we released the first one where we go over the HS-9 which is a programmable bank with nine buttons, so you don't need to scroll to the correct screen directly on the SD40. The "button" assignment list is quite extensive allowing more than the "start/stop/break/fill switches you might expect to be programmed.

Check it out -- Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch. Just like the Sound Demo Series we recently started, we will be adding to our "How To" video series over time.

We have some ideas of things we plan to cover but would welcome your input for topics you would like to see covered.

#453925 - 06/25/18 11:02 PM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Torch Offline

Thanks for the video. It's good to know about the HS9, but I wish the SD40 would allow standard MIDI messages to call up functions like Korg arrangers and others. Instead, the SD40 uses SysEx messages, and it is hard to find MIDI controllers that would send SysEx messages.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#453929 - 06/26/18 03:15 AM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: Torch]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

We couldn't agree more on the sysex messages. That was one of the topics on our list to go over as we think some folks may not be aware of them and what can be done but as you mention - You really need to be using a DAW to take advantage of them.

In any event - Stay tuned for that coming up in the near future.

#454203 - 07/01/18 03:27 PM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By IMMusic_Curt
We couldn't agree more on the sysex messages. That was one of the topics on our list to go over as we think some folks may not be aware of them and what can be done but as you mention - You really need to be using a DAW to take advantage of them.

In any event - Stay tuned for that coming up in the near future.
How would you trigger a certain string of SysEx messages from a DAW?

#454210 - 07/01/18 06:30 PM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Looks same as older Solton handswitch used for MS series modules, no?

#454230 - 07/02/18 06:32 AM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: sparky589]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

You could be right. I was most likely playing Roland in the Solton era so can't say for sure.

#454232 - 07/02/18 06:43 AM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: Torch]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Depending on the DAW you are running you should be able to insert a "sysx event" at whatever timestamp you want one of the supported buttons pushed. That's not going to work too well for a sustain pedal but should you want to switch from Arranger "A" to Arranger "B" or hit Fill / Break, etc. type buttons it can be done.

We do plan to shoot a video on that topic in the near future as it might be of interest to some folks? As part of that, we will share the sysex info that we are aware of.

We lost a power supply in our primary machine over the weekend so we are limping along on a backup machine and don't have access to all of our "stuff" for a few days - frown Hoping to get that sorted out and 100% back online before the end of the week.

#454644 - 07/13/18 01:15 PM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Torch Offline

Before you post a video on SysEx, maybe you could start a thread on it?

I sent SysEx to my SD40 from Bome SendSX or MIDI Ox in my PC. The manual lists a number of SysEx messages; I was able to get some to work, but I couldn't get the others to work.

I don't think I want to involve a PC to send SysEx to the SD40.
I have a Peavey PC1600x that can send SysEx messages, but that's a little bulky, and also I want to use a foot controller.
http://www.defectiverecords.com/pc1600/pc1600.html

I think the Bomebox(https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox#) can be programmed to send SysEx messages, and you can trigger a certain string of SysEx from any MIDI foot controller.

I might add that the Bomebox is very powerful and flexible. Essentially, it is a "MIDI computer" without the need to be connected to a PC.

Edited by Torch (07/13/18 08:25 PM)

#454663 - 07/14/18 06:39 AM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: Torch]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Hey Torch - Be happy to start a new thread when we get started with some SysEx examples. Interesting request of doing that without a computer. Never needed to do that and I'd have to look and see what SysEx functions I could send via our primary controller.

To get things started, we plan to show a few examples from a DAW and let's see where the thread goes as folks comment. I'd be interested in learning more about what you suggest. In the meantime, we are working on a short "How to" video this weekend to show using Cakewalk Instrument Maps with an SD1000. Let me put a reminder on my calendar to bump up the priority of putting together something on using SysEx.

#454702 - 07/15/18 01:59 AM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Bachus Offline

love these things..

My kronos (and pa4x but using it on the kronos) supports the Korg Nanopad 2, which would also be a great thing for the SD9 with the launchpads...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#454775 - 07/16/18 10:35 AM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By IMMusic_Curt
Hey Torch - Be happy to start a new thread when we get started with some SysEx examples. Interesting request of doing that without a computer. Never needed to do that and I'd have to look and see what SysEx functions I could send via our primary controller.

To get things started, we plan to show a few examples from a DAW and let's see where the thread goes as folks comment. I'd be interested in learning more about what you suggest. In the meantime, we are working on a short "How to" video this weekend to show using Cakewalk Instrument Maps with an SD1000. Let me put a reminder on my calendar to bump up the priority of putting together something on using SysEx.
Sounds good, Curt. I will look forward to it.
Thanks,
Chris

#455338 - 07/28/18 02:32 PM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Chris - I'm planning to mess around with this over the next couple of days. If you can share the sysx messages you tried that failed I'll give those a try along with some others that I was planning to show.

** Fair Warning ** - At this point, we are only planning to demo sending sysx vie Logic Pro from a Mac. I have not had the time to research the two controllers we have to see what they can/can't send. We spend about 152% of our time working via a DAW.

Yes, I'll be starting a new thread on this topic and will copy this conversation over there but I had your comment saved and wanted to reach out to you to get started with what I've tested and what you are having issues with.

#455403 - 07/29/18 05:08 PM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Torch Offline

The below is what AJ emailed me before, and I couldn't it out. By the way, where can activate tab/sys on MIDI preference? I couldn't find it.

Here is the Excls. Message for recall ARR a on Sd 40 ( dont forget to activate tab/ sys on Midi preference.)

F0h 26h 7Ch 67h (tab_code OnOff) F7h; OnOff = 7fh (TAB PRESSED) OnOff = 00h (TAB RELEASED)

And here is the complete code list....

Here the code list :
tab_code:
HARMONY_TAB = 1ah
INTRO1_TAB = 62h
INTRO2_TAB = 63h
INTRO3_TAB = 64h
ARRA_TAB = 67h
ARRB_TAB = 68h
ARRC_TAB = 69h
ARRD_TAB = 6ah
FILLS_TAB = 6bh
BREAKS_TAB = 6ch
START_TAB = 78h
PAUSE_TAB = 7bh
KEY_START_TAB = 65h
KEY_STOP_TAB = 66h
MANUAL_BASS_TAB = 6fh
BASS_TO_LOWEST_TAB = 70h
BASSIST_TAB = 71h
PIANIST_TAB = 72h
TEMPO_SLOW_TAB = 50h
TEMPO_FAST_TAB = 51h

#455456 - 07/30/18 01:56 PM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

OK - Got it.

We are familiar with the list you sent. We were busy today working on some issues with the latest Wersi OAX 2.x update . Give me a few days to get set up and work out the DAW to Sysx stuff with Ketron.
Having said that I know you are not all that interested in working from a DAW but perhaps it will help with your setup.

As we discussed we will start a new thread on this topic and post a link in this thread once we get started.

Stay tuned...

#455463 - 07/30/18 03:01 PM Re: Ketron SD40 / HS9 Hand Switch [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Torch Offline

I have a few MIDI devices that can program and send sysex. So if I have the correct strings of Ketron sysex messages, I am good to go. I am also searching other midi foot controllers that can send generate sysex messages.

Thanks,
Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online