SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#453777 - 06/21/18 11:16 PM wouldn't it be nice if....
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
...we could run our business like the landscapers do. Use a large van OR a trailer and put all of your equipment in it....wires, mikes, stands ...everything. All small items hanging on the wall. All keyboards, sound equipment goes on the floor. Maybe even sitting on an R&R cart ready to be wheeled out.

I spend at least 30 minutes before each job typing out exactly what I'm going to need to carry for the next gig. The days of just a keyboard and amp are long gone.

A trailer, of course, would have to have every security device known to man while you're playing.....GPS locators under each bumper, ignition cut-out switches hidden in every nook and cranny, thick chains on the steering wheel and column, a dash camera connected to your smart phone, motion detectors, a portable outside surveillance camera that you can put up in a nearby tree, maybe an armed security guard, and, of course, the ultimate.....just plain complete insurance coverage. And to further avoid actual break-ins, I would consider using the "shell" of an armored truck. Parking it overnight is even simpler. Build an alligator pit on your front lawn and park right in the middle of it.

Only kidding of course, but wouldn't it be nice if we lived in an ideal safe world where we can take any kind of a booking and not have to think about what to bring, emergency equipment, spare equipment, loading and unloading your vehicle, forgetting something at home, etc. Just have EVERYTHING in the truck and do as the landscapers do....open the back of the van and take out just what your little heart desires....when your little heart desires it!

#453784 - 06/22/18 05:25 AM Re: wouldn't it be nice if.... [Re: Mark79100]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I read your "piece" with understanding and admiring what so many of you go through to scratch out a living going from gig to gig.
It doesn't cost a dime to dream. Maybe "miniaturization" is the ultimate answer... but that's one of those things we probably won't know during our lifetimes. Then you could "hit the Motherload" like Don Mason... who leaves his gear set up at Ernest's Restaurant (Elegant and Fancy) where he wows them on the weekends.

Best of luck to you... and for your dreams. ----Mayberry Dave

#453786 - 06/22/18 05:38 AM Re: wouldn't it be nice if.... [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I was still working, I pretty much did that. No need to type out a list when you take the same gear to EVERY job.

The equipment stayed in the van all the time and only came out when I loaded it onto the R&R cart to take it into the venue, which took less than 3 minutes and nothing weighed more than 23 pounds. Don't need a moat where I live - you can only see the house with Google Earth. smile Plus, I have a cat that lets me know if anything ventures within sight, deer, squirrels, etc... Hell, we haven't had a trick or treat kid in 30 years. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#453787 - 06/22/18 05:53 AM Re: wouldn't it be nice if.... [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I did it for years with vans. No window models and when I was gigging steady the van stayed packed. I was robbed once when I left the van unlocked in front of my house. Got a small keyboard string unit in a case that was lying on top of my B3 and then they got hung up trying to lift an Ampeg VT22 amp ( weighed a ton ! ) over the back of the drivers seat.
If I was working steady with a lot of stuff I'd do it again with a mini van or SUV with an alarm system. Be careful where you park or use a garage.
we still have it so much better with todays lighter and more,compact equipment.

#453791 - 06/22/18 06:43 AM Re: wouldn't it be nice if.... [Re: Mark79100]
zuki Offline

I count (7) pieces before I close the Jeep doors and head out.

(2) speakers (1) keyboard (1) cart (1) pole case (1) X stand and another that I can't remember - oh, my case of wires smile

That said, I have left my equipment at the job and driven away a couple of times smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#453792 - 06/22/18 07:04 AM Re: wouldn't it be nice if.... [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It would be safe enough where I live. There's a policeman or deputy every few houses, and we don't even lock the doors to the house anyway. For years I left all my stuff in the van. Only incident I ever remember was when someone kicked in the panels on the side, and I'm pretty sure that was because I was "seeing" his girlfriend! smile
For a while I had a magnetic sign with my name on it that attached to the side, but I thought better of that; that was asking for trouble.
My late friend HankB had a fairly large trailer which was totally organized. He kept the entire band's gear in it, along with backups for just about everything.
If you cross the river into Shreveport you could get robbed at a stop sign if you're not careful. Crime rate is astronomical there.

#453806 - 06/22/18 09:27 AM Re: wouldn't it be nice if.... [Re: Mark79100]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
Back in the 60's and 70's we made a band trailer to store and haul our stuff in. On the sides we painted SEMORE'S LIVE SNAKE SHOW. Nobody ever went near that trailer. lol
MEL

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online