SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#453828 - 06/22/18 11:14 PM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: adimatis]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Playing and Politics can mix as long as we keep in mind that all we have is an opinion, nothing more.

John C.

#453834 - 06/23/18 07:45 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You're right, Chas. You should not mix anything with politics. I don't give a damned about their political convictions - I just wan't to be paid for doing a very professional job - and I was paid very, very well. As my dear, departed father used to say "there's only one thing that money can't buy - POVERTY!"

Yes, The Captain stuck to his political convictions, yet The Captain frequently flew to Saudi Arabia to play for the Arab Sheiks, a nation where women who cannot make a charge of rape unless at least 4 relatives witness the offense. A nation where women are not permitted to drive a car, get a high school education, are told whom they must marry, most keep their faces covered, and treated like dirt beneath their feet. Duh! What happened with those convictions. Like I said, it was just a job.

Now, I too have turned down jobs for various reasons, and I'm sure there are others that have done the same. Most of the time, it is for scheduling conflicts - not our political convictions. I've turned them down because they didn't pay enough. Hey, music was my real job! I had no other form of income, too young to retire, too young for Social Security, which is not enough to live on, let alone support a family. I didn't give a damned whether you were holding a fund raiser for a Democrat, Republican, Independent, or Jesus Christ. If you wanted good entertainment and someone who could make professional announcements, I was your man. Russ was considered an Infidel in Saudi Arabia, they hated his guts there because of where he was from, and he knew it, but the money was good.

I turned down high paying jobs in the City of Baltimore because it was a very, very dangerous part of the city to venture during the day, let alone late at night. Does this make me a bad guy, or a smarter businessman? I don't have a religious bone in my body, but performed for many, many church groups as long as they were willing to pay my fee, which they always did, just like the political groups.

Knowing Russ, this component of music was pretty much chump change and represented a tiny, fractional component of his income. In essence, that one job really didnd't financially impact him at all - it was just a job that he didn't really want to do. But, I'm equally confident that if it meant a connection to a million dollar advertising job, he would have taken it in a heartbeat. And, no one would fault him for doing so. It was JUST A JOB! smile

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (06/23/18 07:47 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#453836 - 06/23/18 08:03 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: adimatis]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
It is a business. Of course its easier and a lot more fun to play the gigs you like than the ones you don't, or you need. Easier to get and maintain your motivation for the fun ones too. Though we can become adept at hiding the dislike for the ones we don't like I believe it comes through at some point. Experience helps you keep that smile, even through the occasional negative comment we may hear that can throw you off. I've turned down undesired jobs and had no regrets.If you can afford that, both financially and for your reputation there's no harm. Nothing wrong with having standards. In the beginning I took everything to gain experience. Age and physical limitations changed that. Conversely, if you can afford to say no, beware that next year maybe you'll need it, and the job may belong to someone else by then.

#453837 - 06/23/18 08:14 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Well said.

#453839 - 06/23/18 08:42 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
zuki Offline

I had a year's booking at one facility and made the mistake of talking politics with a resident's son (Michigan professor). He didn't like my views and the Admin cancelled my next 7 jobs. What a jerk he was. Never again have I talked politics.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#453843 - 06/23/18 09:26 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gary, I think Russ performs in Dubai, not Saudi Arabia (Dubai is one of the seven emirates of UAE). They are much less restrictive than Saudi Arabia although they have been criticized for their treatment of foreign workers. Non-Muslims are allowed to drink and only Muslims are subject to Sharia law, so YOU should be okay.

What I reject about your position is that except for the possible threat of physical harm, playing for ANY organization, no matter how vile or contrary to your personal sense of morality, is okay as long as the money is right. Using the old "it's just business" rationalization is tantamount to "I was just following orders", and I think we know how the civilized world feels about THAT excuse.

However, one thing about us Atheists is that we have no one to answer to except our own sense of right and wrong, and that's usually determined by the major influences in your life. Maybe I'm a hypocrite because I do feel more than just a tinge of guilt when I buy my (un-needed) Crumar SEVEN while I watch images of malnourished, lice-infested children with NOTHING, trying to make their way to a safe habour. I could not personally play for an audience or organization that railed against them. That kid isn't taking anybody's job; he/she just wants to live to see another day.

Bottom line: You gotta' stand for SOMETHING.

chas

#453844 - 06/23/18 10:28 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: zuki]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By zuki
I had a year's booking at one facility and made the mistake of talking politics with a resident's son (Michigan professor). He didn't like my views and the Admin cancelled my next 7 jobs. What a jerk he was. Never again have I talked politics.

Then there's the other end of the spectrum , the musicians that have become household names,so established and secure in their fame and fortune, that they intentionally become political activists and speakers because they don't need anymore money if the public disowned them tomorrow..

#453851 - 06/23/18 12:11 PM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Like I said before, fascism is a normal thing now days.And we are all becoming one every day a little bit more. Well,some more than others.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#453892 - 06/25/18 09:32 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I guess the problem is, in this market, I'm pretty "up front" about my beliefs. This politician knows it, and so do many others.

I think he wanted more than music when he asked for my participation.

An even passive endorsement is not something I'll ever do.

R.

#453896 - 06/25/18 10:10 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By cgiles
You gotta' stand for SOMETHING.

... or you'll fall for anything.
(Dylan?)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online