SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#453295 - 06/08/18 10:19 AM Plugging guitar AND mic into PSR-S970
Beakybird Offline

Hi guys! I'm occasionally lurking here. Not much happening in Yamaha arranger news unless you got deep pockets.

I used to be a very proficient and passionate guitarist, and after many years, I'm getting into it again.

I'm still doing over 400 arranger gigs a year with the senior circuit, and I want to bring my acoustic guitar along occasionally just to change things up.

The PSR-S970 has a mic input. Can I do this?

1) Plug a Hosa Y cable (One 1/4" M to two 1/4" F) into my PSR-S970
2) Plug my mic into one of the Hosa inputs
3) Plug my preamped acoustic with onboard volume control into the other Hosa input
4) Sing and play solo acoustic and also accompany MIDIs using the keyboard to control mic volume and the guitar to control guitar volume

Would the Hosa Y cable worsen the quality of the audio input?

Thanks!

#453300 - 06/08/18 10:59 AM Re: Plugging guitar AND mic into PSR-S970 [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Hooking up both in one input could weaken the signal for both...
why not just use a small mixer 4 channel with FX for more control of each channel KB, Voc, Guitar, etc,..

#453301 - 06/08/18 11:25 AM Re: Plugging guitar AND mic into PSR-S970 [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I do a similar thing, with a Yamaha electric Grand. I use a splitter for the 1/4" in. I use a Hammond xK-1 on top of the piano, and use a nylon string Giannini with preamp, thru a sans-amp, into the other input. Actually, a guitar with a preamp sounds pretty good just straight. An electric, say, a 335 with humbuckers needs the sans amp to make the associated input adjustment.

A sans amp (either bass or guitar version) works OK directly into a PA head.

Russ

#453304 - 06/08/18 02:39 PM Re: Plugging guitar AND mic into PSR-S970 [Re: Beakybird]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi BB: (and Donnie & Russ by default!)

Thanks for posting your question. I'm in the process of acquiring 970 from Don Mason and have no plans to connect a guitar... but knowing all the ins and outs of these fantastic KB's is always good. It's also great to know who else has one so we may be able to lean on each other for problem solving in the future.

I don't post often because writing, recording and re-recording new songs is what I do. I was surprised to see a photo of the back of a 970 and the USB slot is still there instead of being on the front where access is easier.

Thanks, Donnie & Russ. Your answers are always so helpful. Hope you are feeling better, Russ.

----Dave from West Mayberry

#453305 - 06/08/18 02:51 PM Re: Plugging guitar AND mic into PSR-S970 [Re: Dnj]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
why not just use a small mixer 4 channel with FX for more control of each channel KB, Voc, Guitar, etc,..

Hey thanks guys. It sounds like Russ is saying it's ok.

Well I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. One downside is that my guitar would have to get the same effect as my voice. My guitar - a Yamaha LL-TA has a reverb knob (and can get reverb and chorus without even pluggin in!!).

I guess that I can try the simple setup in a memory care venue, and if it doesn't work, I can get a 4 channel mixer. Since the guitar and the keyboard have effects, I would just need a cheap Rolls 4 channel mixer.

But having to bring and hook up along with the guitar - 1) instrument cable, 2) preamp, 3) preamp a/c adapter, 4) output audio cable for preamp, 5) mixer, 6) output audio cables for the mixer - it sounds like too much. This is addition to my keyboard, stand, mic, speakers, cables, pedals, adapter, etc.

Maybe I'll just play guitar in my room.

#453307 - 06/08/18 05:06 PM Re: Plugging guitar AND mic into PSR-S970 [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Beakybird
Originally Posted By Dnj

Hey thanks guys. It sounds like Russ is saying it's ok.

Well I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. One downside is that my guitar would have to get the same effect as my voice. My guitar - a Yamaha LL-TA has a reverb knob (and can get reverb and chorus without even pluggin in!!).

I guess that I can try the simple setup in a memory care venue, and if it doesn't work, I can get a 4 channel mixer. Since the guitar and the keyboard have effects, I would just need a cheap Rolls 4 channel mixer.

But having to bring and hook up along with the guitar - 1) instrument cable, 2) preamp, 3) preamp a/c adapter, 4) output audio cable for preamp, 5) mixer, 6) output audio cables for the mixer - it sounds like too much. This is addition to my keyboard, stand, mic, speakers, cables, pedals, adapter, etc.

Maybe I'll just play guitar in my room.

Maybe just switch it up with your guitar a laptop speakers and a microphone... No kb?

#453336 - 06/10/18 08:21 AM Re: Plugging guitar AND mic into PSR-S970 [Re: Beakybird]
Beakybird Offline

Skipping the keyboard is a decent suggestion. I've played guitar for years, but I don't have enough practice performing. I would feel insecure without my keyboard.

I just figured out that I could plug the Hosa Y cable in at the speaker. I usually bring only one speaker to my gigs as the audiences in the senior circuit are usually small. I know that I'm sacrificing the fullness of stereo.

By plugging the guitar and keyboard into the speaker, I can get separate effects for mic and guitar.

Thanks guys. All's well with gigging. I was invited to play for Weight Watchers because they heard that the more I sing, the thinner the crowd becomes.

#453337 - 06/10/18 08:40 AM Re: Plugging guitar AND mic into PSR-S970 [Re: Beakybird]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Beakybird
Skipping the keyboard is a decent suggestion. I've played guitar for years, but I don't have enough practice performing. I would feel insecure without my keyboard.

I just figured out that I could plug the Hosa Y cable in at the speaker. I usually bring only one speaker to my gigs as the audiences in the senior circuit are usually small. I know that I'm sacrificing the fullness of stereo.

By plugging the guitar and keyboard into the speaker, I can get separate effects for mic and guitar.

Thanks guys. All's well with gigging. I was invited to play for Weight Watchers because they heard that the more I sing, the thinner the crowd becomes.

Funny smile Love to hear you play the guitar!!!!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#453359 - 06/10/18 05:35 PM Re: Plugging guitar AND mic into PSR-S970 [Re: zuki]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
When I made a move from guitar to keyboard I put a midi attachment on my guitar. I set it up so that the midi set off the left hand of the keyboard. I had rhythm guitar and keyboard accompaniment. Had to sing most of the songs. Beat playing with a rhythm machine.

John C.

#453441 - 06/12/18 09:06 AM Re: Plugging guitar AND mic into PSR-S970 [Re: Beakybird]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Do you use a separate vocal system? If so, any guitar with a piezo system will sound fine. You only need the sansamp or other separate preamp with conventional magnetic pickups.

Sounds like you are not using a PA at all.

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online