SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#452814 - 05/30/18 02:33 PM Playing in Humid Weather
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Not all venues are air conditioned. I noticed that when playing without a.c. the keys feel somewhat tacky. I wont use any polishes or cleaners other than a dampened cloth with Windex to clean the keys.

While at an outdoor concert on Memorial day the Celtic band had a terrific violinist that played an electric violin with multiple foot pedals for effects. Every so often he would rub Gold Bond powder (talc) to absorb moisture from his hands. Seemed to work. His fingers were flying.

Any other suggestions?

Jerryghr

#452816 - 05/30/18 02:39 PM Re: Playing in Humid Weather [Re: Jerryghr]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I always dried the keyboard with a fan, which I also used to keep my hands dry. I performed in the Florida Keys where the dew settled like light rain after the sun went down. Consequently, I found that the best option was to purchase one of those 10 X 10 tents, which kept the dew from settling on me and the keyboard. I bought it on sale at K-Mart in Marathon Key for under $50.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#452817 - 05/30/18 02:40 PM Re: Playing in Humid Weather [Re: Jerryghr]
Dnj Offline

Its one of the hazards of playing an electronic keyboard outside in heavy humidity, sweating, and being sticky,........
aside from a big fan on you & wiping down keys with a towel after every song just grin and bear it....spray for bugs & mosquitoes too also.

#452828 - 05/30/18 04:41 PM Re: Playing in Humid Weather [Re: Jerryghr]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Fan to keep you cool and the bugs away and a towel for the keys. Cover the keyboard on your breaks. And the obvious, drink lots of water.

#452838 - 05/30/18 06:25 PM Re: Playing in Humid Weather [Re: Bill Lewis]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Thanks for the info.
I rarely take an outdoor job. If I do I charge a premium price, and always make sure the employer furnishes a shelter, pavilion, porch etc.

The fan, towel etc. will help with the non AC venues which are rare, but I have one this week at a legion post.

It was 90 deg. in Buffalo today, but is supposed to be 73 the day of the dance. (There are times we have all 4 seasons in one weekend.)

Regards,

Jerryghr

#452850 - 05/30/18 09:00 PM Re: Playing in Humid Weather [Re: Jerryghr]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Jerryghr

It was 90 deg. in Buffalo today, but is supposed to be 73 the day of the dance. (There are times we have all 4 seasons in one weekend.)
Regards,
Jerryghr

laugh2 sounds like Rhode Island ... grin

Edited by tony mads usa (05/30/18 09:01 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online