SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#452795 - 05/30/18 01:01 PM Genos screen in direct sunlight
Bachus Offline

With the summer starting to roll

The German Genos facebook community acklowedges that the Genos screen is unreadable in bright or even semi bright sunlight..

Which makes me wonder, what was Yamaha tinking? While they had solved this problem with the Tyros range...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#452815 - 05/30/18 02:34 PM Re: Genos screen in direct sunlight [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
With the summer starting to roll

The German Genos facebook community acklowedges that the Genos screen is unreadable in bright or even semi bright sunlight..

Which makes me wonder, what was Yamaha tinking? While they had solved this problem with the Tyros range...

With a low percentage of outdoor players in direct sunlight its overlooked for sure by Yamaha....A tilt screen display would definitely have helped that situation a little bit & certainly INSIDE. Also try a camera lens hood.

Edited by Dnj (05/30/18 02:54 PM)

#452818 - 05/30/18 02:44 PM Re: Genos screen in direct sunlight [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I talked with Yamaha about this very problem many times over the past 20 years. Their reply was quite simple. Less than 1/10th of 1-percent of our consumers play their keyboards outdoors, therefore, it is a non-issue.

A tilt screen would not solve the problem, Donny, not even a little bit. However, had Yamaha and all the other manufacturers taken a page from the book of the marine industry, they would have opted for a TFT Super-twist display, which actually gets brighter in direct sunlight. This is accomplished by utilizing a reflective surface behind the display, which directs the light back through the screen and amplifies the display intensity. The best workaround is a simple hood made of black construction paper and held in place with thin strips of Velcro. Works like a charm.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#452820 - 05/30/18 02:52 PM Re: Genos screen in direct sunlight [Re: Bachus]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I have observed that Yamaha is resistant (or reluctant) to change. I guess I don't blame them for not implementing every single idea but they really do need to listen to you guys. Their product is often quite visible to audiences who are "wowed" by the talent you folks possess.

No doubt about it, the squeaking wheel gets the grease... and if we squeak enough, maybe they will listen. Great thread, Bachus.

#452821 - 05/30/18 02:53 PM Re: Genos screen in direct sunlight [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

cool2

Attachments
hhhhhh1.jpg

#452835 - 05/30/18 06:14 PM Re: Genos screen in direct sunlight [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

A tilt screen would not solve the problem, Donny, not even a little bit.
Gary cool

Actually, the tilt screen on my Technics Kn6000 helped quite a bit in certain situations ...

#452844 - 05/30/18 07:23 PM Re: Genos screen in direct sunlight [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm sure it did, Tony, but not in direct sunlight. This is the same reason that you cannot see most laptop and netbook PCs in direct sunlight, you cannot see many cellular telephone displays in direct sunlight, TV is out of the question - even the brightest LED screens, and a host of other displays. This is why the marine industry, both recreational and commercial, went with super-twist displays. I can now see my boat's radar display, when in the past you had to have a hood that you pressed your forehead against to see the images.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#452846 - 05/30/18 07:30 PM Re: Genos screen in direct sunlight [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa

A tilt screen would not solve the problem, Donny, not even a little bit.
Gary cool

Actually, the tilt screen on my Technics Kn6000 helped quite a bit in certain situations ...

+1

#452851 - 05/30/18 09:18 PM Re: Genos screen in direct sunlight [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

I'm sure it did, Tony, but not in direct sunlight. This is the same reason that you cannot see most laptop and netbook PCs in direct sunlight, you cannot see many cellular telephone displays in direct sunlight, TV is out of the question - even the brightest LED screens, and a host of other displays. This is why the marine industry, both recreational and commercial, went with super-twist displays. I can now see my boat's radar display, when in the past you had to have a hood that you pressed your forehead against to see the images.

All the best,

Gary cool

High quallity displays like on apple products or the more expensive Samsung phones can be read in direct sunlight...

We have had this discussion before, but in every inch of the Genos, its obvious Yamaha tries to spend as little bux on the hardware as possible..

- No light metal casing
- low light low resolution screen
- no High end ARM CPU
- No balanced outputs
- cheep knobs instead of rotary encoders

And the list goes on...
(to be honest most also goes for my Korg PA4x and 1st gen Kronos)

personally i still think its very strange that for a multi thousand dollar instrument, they don't even spend $200 on the hardware.. it would have solved many problems if they did, like this problem..

Edited by Bachus (05/30/18 09:19 PM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#452855 - 05/31/18 01:04 AM Re: Genos screen in direct sunlight [Re: travlin'easy]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

All the best,

Gary cool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-twisted_nematic_display

As you can see from the specifications even the best Supertwist is unacceptable in even basic phones these days and so completely useless for modern keyboards hence the reason they are not used in them.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online