SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#452675 - 05/28/18 07:15 AM Happy Memorial Day
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
...to all my fellow Vets out there (10 yrs for me). I live very close to the Georgia National Cemetary where I will be attending a memorial service today and where several of my friends who were killed in combat are buried. A very emotional experience being in this beautiful place among these thousands of headstones. I go every year and hope to be buried there rather than our family cemetery. O.T. I know, but I know there are quite a few vets among this group who won't mind a nod to this special day.

chas

#452678 - 05/28/18 07:38 AM Re: Happy Memorial Day [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thanking you and all vets for their service. May God bless you and our country.

#452682 - 05/28/18 08:21 AM Re: Happy Memorial Day [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Thanks to all our Vets past and present. Please remember what today is all about and tell the younger ones its importance. Many have sacrificed a lot for our freedoms.
And I will stand for our Anthem whenever it is played.

#452684 - 05/28/18 09:32 AM Re: Happy Memorial Day [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I served - US Army/Armor - but fortunately not in combat ... God Bless those who have and their families ...

Edited by tony mads usa (05/28/18 12:37 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#452685 - 05/28/18 12:12 PM Re: Happy Memorial Day [Re: Bill Lewis]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Thanks to all our Vets past and present. Please remember what today is all about and tell the younger ones its importance. Many have sacrificed a lot for our freedoms.
And I will stand for our Anthem whenever it is played.
wanted to add that many American lives were sacrificed not for our freedom here in the US but also many others in various parts of the world.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#452688 - 05/28/18 01:04 PM Re: Happy Memorial Day [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Today was a very sad Memorial Day for me. I attended a memorial service for a very dear friend who passed away unexpectedly this past week, just one day after he and his wife had lunch with my wife and I.

John P**** (last name omitted) was a Colonial in the US Army medical corps, where he served with distinction at several locations, became a flight surgeon and was considered among the best head/neck surgeons in the nation. He earned many awards for his surgical techniques in ENT and eventually became a full professor of ENT surgery at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. I had the privilege of working with John at Hopkins when I directed the Cardio/Pulmonary Division, we became good friends, fished together, and kept in touch for nearly 40 years.

Just two years after we first met, in the 1970s, I developed a severe sinus infection that nearly took my life. I was hospitalized at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center by another ENT doctor, who after 10 days told my wife that he was sending me home to die and there was nothing more that could be done for me. That was on a Saturday morning. The pain in my head was beyond belief and had my wife not hidden my guns, I would have ended it all right there and then. Another ENT surgeon and good friend found out what had happened to me, called me at home and told me to call John P**** right away and gave me his private, home number. John had me transported back to GBMC, conferred with a neurologist, had an MRI and spinal tap performed immediately, then scheduled me for emergency surgery at 7 a.m. Sunday morning. He told Carol that if he would not have performed the surgery, I would not have been alive on Monday. I would have died of infectious meningitis.

It is difficult to comprehend a world without Dr. John P****. He touched so many lives in so many ways that most people never dream of. He was the surgeon that all the other surgeons went to if they needed a procedure in his area of expertise. The entire world will miss my dear friend, John P****.

Memorial day has always been a very special day for me, musically. When I was still working, I performed at a very special ceremony at an upscale Jewish retirement community. There were many, many vets living there, but one person stands out in my mind. He was a major in the Romanian Army during WWII and captured by the Germans and taken to Buchenwald. Just one day before he was scheduled to be gassed, Buchenwald was liberated. He was a 220-pound, 6'3" man when he was captured and just 90 pounds when he was liberated. When I met him, I saw the numbers tattooed on his forearm. He passed away on Memorial day on his 100th birthday and I performed at his memorial at the retirement community he called home for many years.

Thanks Chas, from another old swabbie,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#452697 - 05/28/18 04:38 PM Re: Happy Memorial Day [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Lots of emotion today - Memorial Day smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#452721 - 05/29/18 01:24 AM Re: Happy Memorial Day [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
We must always remember those who gave their lives so we can live ours.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online